Uploading converted Fallout 3 mods without permission

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,137 posts
I would like to remind all users that you cannot convert and reupload mods that you did not create yourself from Fallout 3 for New Vegas without permission from the original author of the Fallout 3 modification. This is in line with our rules on using other people's work without permission.

Most authors provide information on how they would like their files to be used and distributed in their ReadMe's or file descriptions. If the author has not provided this information then you must request permission from them. No information does not mean no permission needed, it means the reverse.

If you convert a file and upload it without permission or even crediting the original author of the work you are very likely to be banned from the network without warning.

rkelly

rkelly

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
can we add lets say a esp file that uses the models from said mod (WITHOUT actually uploading the models either) and tell people that if they want to use lets say for example the fo3 halo armor mod in new vegas you have to go to fo3 nexus and DL the mod for the models but go to NVnexus for the NV esp file to bring them to new vegas and the esp maker will give the credit to the original mod maker.

Edited by rkelly, 22 October 2010 - 10:07 PM.

JimboUK

JimboUK

There's someone watching me, I can tell.

• Premium Member
  • 45,001 posts

can we add lets say a esp file that uses the models from said mod (WITHOUT actually uploading the models either) and tell people that if they want to use lets say for example the fo3 halo armor mod in new vegas you have to go to fo3 nexus and DL the mod for the models but go to NVnexus for the NV esp file to bring them to new vegas and the esp maker will give the credit to the original mod maker.

It's best to ask, you would still be making use of those assets for your mod.

rkelly

rkelly

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

from what i have been hearing the way i just said it is actually ok since the actuall resources are NOT reuploaded.

Blindmalice

Blindmalice

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 317 posts
Exceptions to this has to be where the author, in a text file included with their mod, has given permission to any and all to do with the mod as you want (or some such variance of that language). This comes under the heading of, duh!

JimboUK

JimboUK

There's someone watching me, I can tell.

• Premium Member
  • 45,001 posts

from what i have been hearing the way i just said it is actually ok since the actuall resources are NOT reuploaded.

Depends on what the readme in the original mod says, if it says you have to ask permission then you should. The original author may be planning to port it themselves.

uberness23

uberness23

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 420 posts
Safer to ask imo. If the Readme is ambiguous, why take the risk? Drop a line to the original author. There's too much room for (mis)interpretation of this to risk getting your file pulled/banned.

snake342

snake342

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
one question. so all of the fallout 3 mods and to be converted to new vegas? im not a modder, but would like to make my character look better. i wasn't sure if we can use the fallout 3 download, cause i see people having a nice character but no download for it.

holbrook

holbrook

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
there's nothing technically wrong with supplying a file of your own which would work in tandem with the files that someone else willingly chooses to distribute.

if both authors only supply works made by themselves, then all parties retain full ability to cease or allow distribution of "THEIR" work.

to say otherwise would be like selling me a sticker and then telling me "oh wait! you can't put it on your guitar, only on your notebook".

in essence, it's no different than creating artwork such as a texture that works for someone else's mesh. we see that all the time for fallout 3 and oblivion files; it only causes problems when an author includes the mesh without permission (or believes "credit" counts as permission) rather than saying "download the texture here from me, and follow this link to download the mesh from its creator".

-

technicalities aside, my real 2 cents would be that if you can't live without immediate conversions of your old favorites and know how to get them working in NV; then by all means go for it...

but do so for your personal use only.

updating a file to work for you is one thing; turning around and supplying it everyone else is another thing entirely.

in all courtesy, it should either be left to the responsibility of the author to update it, or you should get their approval.

in a nutshell, if you can't live without a conversion of a mod- you know how to fix that, but don't try undermining someone else by taking over their work just so you can feel accomplished and say "look at me".

it's rude.

talk to the authors, be prepared to take no for an answer, and give them time to handle their own work; it's been what... all of 3 days?

besides, what happens when you make an esp that allows a fo3 mesh to work and then that author decides to release it themselves?

most of it just comes down to being considerate and showing some respect. when you have to look for loopholes to get away with something, you're generally going in the wrong direction.

one question. so all of the fallout 3 mods and to be converted to new vegas? im not a modder, but would like to make my character look better. i wasn't sure if we can use the fallout 3 download, cause i see people having a nice character but no download for it.

it's impossible to convert all the mods, but many (if not most of the big ones) will be converted over at some point; especially the aesthetic ones.

you are absolutely allowed to use the fallout 3 downloads for new vegas, but you have to have a little know how in order to do so at the moment.

what this article is referring to are people taking files off of the fallout3 nexus and submitting them as their own on the new vegas nexus.

for example, if you were a modder, and you took all those mods that make your character look the way you want and converted them over to work with new vegas (which you're allowed to do that much), but thennnnnn you upload them on the new vegas nexus.

because of how similar the 2 games are in their groundwork, conversions between the 2 are relatively simple; as a result a lot of people have made stupid choices and "taken it upon themselves" to edit and then distribute work that doesn't belong to them under their own name.

that's all this article is referring to.

the conversions will come, and even if they don't; equivalents will, and so will new content we've yet to see.

soon enough you'll have all the things you want again; it's just a matter of "doing it the right way", and that means to stop people from stealing work and even going so far as to steal credit.

Edited by holbrook, 23 October 2010 - 06:24 AM.

ladydesire

ladydesire

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
It can get a little tricky at times, though; some mods are being maintained by someone other than the original author and you may have to contact both people to see if either person is planning to port the mod themselves. I've done this for one that I want to see in New Vegas and got the permission to do it from both parties; in fact, the original author of this particular mod will be helping me do the port and gave me creative control over the New Vegas version.

Edited by ladydesire, 23 October 2010 - 09:43 AM.

Page loaded in: 1.355 seconds