• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

OiramX5

OiramX5

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
I dont see any problem in the uploader/modder do the conversion from the FO3 to FONV if in the post it be the credits for the original author ,with permission or not from author ,the credits is there for him (I do not see motive to not allow the conversion ,unless the author will do for the own).The conversion is already there ,why the author will bother with that? Less work for him do the conversion and he can play in the same way.

Anyway ,I want to ask if are going to repair the archives of the month in the Fallout 3?
We are in the end of October and the archives are still in the September.

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,422 posts

I do not see motive to not allow the conversion ,unless the author will do for the own

There-in lies the issue. You can't know if the author intends to convert their files or not and the only way you will know is if you ask for permission. So ask for permission.

A large number of mod authors like to be in direct control of the files they've created and any thanks, support or feedback generated from it. So no conversions without permission.

OiramX5

OiramX5

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
"There-in lies the issue. You can't know if the author intends to convert their files or not and the only way you will know is if you ask for permission. So ask for permission."

Maybe ,but maybe happen the author even answer back when is asked about this (This happens sometimes) ,and if someone already do that before the author made it ,is less work for him(And I think in do the conversion dont is so difficult because FO3 and FO NV is very similar).
And maybe happens the original author is very busy and dont have much time to do the mod(or enter in the forum for answer)and post the mod will take much time ,in comparison if another person with time to do the same mod.

I agree about the authors have be aware of the mod ,support ,feedback and those things.But ,from my point of view ,who do the conversion have the obligation of do the credits for the original author ,warn the author about the conversion and offer the control of file ,but post the mod ,with permission or not ,because is a just simple conversion for the NV ,WITHOUT changes in the file. This way is more practical and fast than asking permission for a simple conversion ,and I doubt the original author will be bother about this.
I agree in ask permission if the modder will change something from original mod ,like always been.

Is just my opinion ,I just think it's too much bureaucracy for a simple conversion.

shadoshinobi

shadoshinobi

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
most Fo3 mods should work with nv right?

ladydesire

ladydesire

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
OiramX5: Asking the original author is always the polite thing to do; if he says no, then leave it to him to port or not as he wishes. As I said, I did exactly that and got the permission and assistance of the original author in porting the mod to New Vegas.

OiramX5

OiramX5

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
ladydesire
Yeah ,I know is that the polite thing to do ,I just think is more practical just say to the author the his mod have be converted to NV ,give the credits and control of file for him ,is simple ,I dont see any problem in this.

But happen in sometimes the original author is abandoned the site ,like one modder I have see is not login about a year ,so what do?
Dont do the conversion and hope the original author doesnt have died ,for him give the permission?

holbrook

holbrook

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
it's not practical in the least to take someone else's work and pretend you have any business doing anything other than using it as intended or modifying for personal use.

getting 'no answer' is the same as getting the answer no.

if you thought permission wasn't necessary, then permission itself wouldn't hold any weight even if you did ask the author; regardless of what they said.

if that were the case, you could do whatever you felt like with someone else's property, and if this was somehow supposed to be "ok", then you wouldn't even need to credit them.

in fact... why would you?

after all it wouldn't make sense to credit a person or file that says "please do not upload this file, or any edits of it"; you'd just be spitting in their face even more than you already were by doing that. (keeping in mind that the author saying nothing is the same as saying the above)

if that was how things worked, then anyone could just rip every piece of work anyone else has ever made, and people would; repeatedly.

we already have 70 infinite ammo mods, and 300 mods to make mini nukes fire from a minigun, and those aren't stolen work; just unoriginal/tutorial uploads.

we don't need to make it worse by "allowing" people to trash up the database with 50 of the same hair ports, 200 of the same armor, and god knows how many type 3 conversions.

nexus has rules in place like this for many reasons, but they must also respect copyright laws. it's not as simple as Dark0ne being able to just say "oh hey guys, steal and repost anyone's work you feel like. in fact, go ahead and upload official dlc or the game itself if you want".

it doesn't work that way. he holds certain liabilities, and in turn he holds us to certain ones if we wish to use his site. these rules maintain the integrity of the site, as well as the ability for it to even exist for us to use.

the rules also help keep our community from becoming a convoluted mess of rehash files, but beyond anything else the rules let the modders who fuel the community feel comforted knowing that their files are protected and their wishes are respected. it's reassuring for them to know that sharing your work on here will not end up being something that you regret.

that's the reason people come here to share their work, and it would seem far more "practical" to express gratitude to the people who developed these mods that chose to share them with us in the first place rather than keeping their creations to themselves. to spit on their generosity by assuming they won't care, or showing disregard for them despite that they do care is a horrible way to repay them for their efforts.

if things like uploads without permissions are allowed...

- this form of community will begin to suffer due to the lack of integrity in its users and files.

- authors will think twice about sharing their work at all since they know any respect for their files and wishes by other users will be non existent; resulting in no or very little NEW content.

- the files we do see will be little more than convoluted rehashes of old files.

the idea of "want" is getting confused with "need". no matter what the intents may be, at the end of the day it's still self centered nonsense to believe that you have just as much call to control/edit/distribute someone else's work as the person who made it, without it being given to you.

if the answer is no, or if you receive no answer from them, or even if we never see the file converted at all; you need to learn to accept that.

no means no; it's not yours, mine, or anyone else's business or responsibility to alter, update, take over, or redistribute another persons work.

when all is said and done; all the reasoning and logic boils down to one statement...

no permission? no upload.

...4 simple words that exist to warn those who care more about what they want than how it affects others.

cheers to those who had enough sense to begin with that they never even needed to hear those words in the first place.

yes, it sucks to think some mods will not be converted, or that it merely won't be permissible because the author isn't even aware you sent a message to ask for permission, but that's how it works.

you could easily say such a thing is simply unfortunate, and you could say that this is just a simple conversion in terms of the effort that the person porting puts into it, but it's also simple in one other and more important thing.

it does not belong to you.

Edited by holbrook, 25 October 2010 - 01:44 AM.

FrostFlake

FrostFlake

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Lucky I read this, I created/"ported" a partial mod of "Enclave Commander _Warhammer 40k Edition" from FO3 to FO:NV for my own benefit and was planning on sharing it. I guess I'll keep it to myself; it wouldn't be fair to the author (Or in this mod, Authors) if I publicly re-uploaded the mod, because I know I wouldn't like it if it was my mod.

Edited by FrostFlake, 25 October 2010 - 02:24 AM.

holbrook

holbrook

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
my recommendation to you frost is to use the file yourself, but go ahead and write the author asking if they have any plans to convert their work to new vegas or if they'd mind that you did.

you can enjoy it yourself, and if you see a reply later on that gives you the go ahead you can share it with the rest of us.

-

when doing this myself, i go in one of two directions...

in one situation i will finish my work first and then send screenshots when i appeal to them so they can see it's not slapped together and hopefully help them approve of my
efforts when they see it's been executed to their standards, keeping in mind that they may have a request for me to impliment, or want me to change something.

in the second situation, which is what i recommend to people who aren't so patient, is to ask for permission before they even begin working on the mod, or at least before it's finished. in this way you'll often get permission to upload before you're even finished, and will spend no time anxiously waiting for a reply with a finished file. also, in the event they say no, you can then choose to either not spend the time working on it, or continue to finish it for your own enjoyment.

by no means however should you give up on this if you want to share it though; if this is what you want, then you should simply contact the author soon (now works :D) and ask them for permission is all.

trust me; you'll also feel more encouraged to finish and share your work when you know that the creator approves of what you're doing.

OiramX5

OiramX5

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
Well ,I just ask if you really read what I said.
Firstly I said that was my opinion, was not willing to change any rule in the site or anything like that, just express what I think, if you agree or not, this is not my problem.After all, here is to comment what you think, doesnt?

Second, what I said was that it is just a simple conversion from one game to another, WITHOUT changing anything in the original file and OBLIGATION to give credits and control file to the original author, and I AGREED on asking permission to change anything in the file .It is impossible that some authors do not like that at all, it's less work for him and be with the file on your control ,as if he himself had made the conversion.I think you make a storm in a glass of water.

And you distorted what I actually talked about it, and I have commented on conversions, NOT changes to files. If I had really been talking about changing the files without permission , I will agree with you, but I never said that.

Anyway, since you are so full of rules, why not make a rule, which is the User that is more than 3 or 4 months without logging in, the account will be deleted and the files will be entitled to free modifications, since it is considered abandonment of the original author. Many forums already use that rule. Now if this rule already exists, FORGET what I suggested.

And one more thing, I think you could create a folder called "Conversions from Fallout 3", would be more organized and easy to know where are the mods that have been converted.If already exists ,forget this.

Anyway I will not waste more time arguing here, is a headache to write in English, just hope this time I have made clear my opinion.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.055 seconds