Character Overhaul or Blockhead not working

Orcsbreath

I have installed Oblivion Character Overhaul version 2, and Blockhead, using Mod Organizer. Despite having installed Blockhead, the characters' faces still have the "Install Blockhead" message written on them. The Blockhead readme says I need to launch the game with OBSE, but when I try to, it says to use the normal launcher because I have the Steam version of Oblivion. How can I get around this rather annoying problem?

Both OBSE and Blockhead CAN NOT BE INSTALLED USING ANY MOD MANAGER. They must be installed manually. No exceptions. Be sure to read the instructions and place the correct files and folders in the correct folders of your game installation.

And, yes, the readme is outdated in regards to OBSE and Steam integration. Now, if OBSE is correctly installed, Steam will load it automatically. But you must still follow to the letter the installation instructions, and enable the Steam Overlay for Oblivion.

To check if OBSE is running, you can use the OBSE Tester utility.

Also, do not forget to put OCO the LAST on your load order (or, right before your Bashed Patch if you have one). And do Archive Invalidation (BSA Redirection, with Reset BSA TImestamps enabled).

Cheers!

I gave a look at Mod Organizer Nexus Mods page and my goodness, this thing works in a radically different way than Oblivion modding is supposed to work. Sorry, matey, but I can't give you further advice. You need advice from Mod Organizer experienced users.

Anyway, in order to be sure that OBSE is actually not working, check the OBSE tester utility.

I don't know how Mod Organizer performs the Archive Invalidation, but with the rest of managers for Oblivion (OBMM, Wrye Bash and NMM), it's a one-time-only procedure. If your Archive Invalidation is performed through an external esp or txt file like ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.txt, then it's obsolete and deprecated, and not reliable.

On a personal opinion side, I see in the Mod Organizar Page for Oblivion that this version is too obsolete, no longer maintained, and deprecated by the one available at the Skyrim Nexus. This is not a good thing for Oblivion players. Generally, utilities designed with Skyrim in mind are hardly compatible with Oblivion, no matter what they creators say, like Nexus Mod Manager for example.

Summarizing: sorry, matey, I give up.

Cheers!

I've seen plenty of reports that Mod Organizer and OBSE aren't exactly easy to get working together. I think I recall seeing someone post instructions on how to get MO and OBSE playing nice, but it would have been on one of the myriad of threads I've read/posted on, and wasn't recently.

May your luck with Search would be better than mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Mod Organizer works with Oblivion, but OBSE scripts and other particular mods (Blockhead), need to be installed to the oblivion directory.

1. Make sure Steam Overlay is enabled.

2. Install OBSE directly into the Oblivion folder.

3. Install blockhead.dll directly into \data\obse\plugins (in the Oblivion folder). Do not use MO. It won't work.

4. Now in Mod Organizer, go into the Modify Executables option and do the following:

- Put a name in the Title box (I called it Steam)

- In the Binary box, point it at steam.exe (C:\games\steam\steam.exe)

- In the Arguments box put -applaunch 22330

- Click Add

5. Now go into Settings and click the Workarounds tab. There's an option called Load Mechanism. By default it will be set to Mod Organizer. Change it to Script Extender.

Use this newly created executable (from the drop down menu next to the big Run button) any time you want to launch your modded oblivion. If you've done it right, it will load up the Oblivion launch pad, and from there you just click play.

• 1 month later...

Mod Organizer works with Oblivion, but OBSE scripts and other particular mods (Blockhead), need to be installed to the oblivion directory.

3. Install blockhead.dll directly into \data\obse\plugins (in the Oblivion folder). Do not use MO. It won't work.

4. Now in Mod Organizer, go into the Modify Executables option and do the following:

- Click Add

5. Now go into Settings and click the Workarounds tab. There's an option called Load Mechanism. By default it will be set to Mod Organizer. Change it to Script Extender.

Use this newly created executable (from the drop down menu next to the big Run button) any time you want to launch your modded oblivion. If you've done it right, it will load up the Oblivion launch pad, and from there you just click play.

I had the same problem as OP, and this solved it. Thanks Massafnq!

• 4 weeks later...

- Click Add

I spent hours reading contradictory information, but this post is the only thing that helped me set up Mod Organizer + Blockhead + Oblivion Character Overhaul + the Steam version of Oblivion.

Should be the first hit on google. Thank you!!!

• 7 months later...

- Click Add

I spent hours reading contradictory information, but this post is the only thing that helped me set up Mod Organizer + Blockhead + Oblivion Character Overhaul + the Steam version of Oblivion.

Should be the first hit on google. Thank you!!!

I had problems with this as well, installed blockhead first then charector overhaul v2 loaded game from steam and it worked useing OBMM. OBSE is outdated was causing conflicts I think, so I left it out.

OBSE is not outdated, and it does not cause issues all by itself. Without OBSE none of your OBSE plugins will work, including Blockhead, without which Oblivion Character Overhaul 2 refuses to work. So

• OBSE is not outdated,
  • with no OBSE, no OBSE plugins will be loaded,
  • with no OBSE plugins loaded, no Blockhead loaded and
  • with no Blockhead loaded, Oblivion Character Overhaul 2 will refuse to work.

Just to clarify the facts for anyone else reading this, to avoid confusion.

Edited by PhilippePetain