Character Overhaul or Blockhead not working

Orcsbreath

Mod Organizer works with Oblivion, but OBSE scripts and other particular mods (Blockhead), need to be installed to the oblivion directory.

1. Make sure Steam Overlay is enabled.

2. Install OBSE directly into the Oblivion folder.

3. Install blockhead.dll directly into \data\obse\plugins (in the Oblivion folder). Do not use MO. It won't work.

4. Now in Mod Organizer, go into the Modify Executables option and do the following:

- Put a name in the Title box (I called it Steam)

- In the Binary box, point it at steam.exe (C:\games\steam\steam.exe)

- In the Arguments box put -applaunch 22330

- Click Add

5. Now go into Settings and click the Workarounds tab. There's an option called Load Mechanism. By default it will be set to Mod Organizer. Change it to Script Extender.

Use this newly created executable (from the drop down menu next to the big Run button) any time you want to launch your modded oblivion. If you've done it right, it will load up the Oblivion launch pad, and from there you just click play.

I can't find the steam.exe in my games folder... no idea what's happened to it... what do I do - blockhead just WILL NOT WORK!!!! :'(

Doing it that way looks a bit odd. Steam.exe is the Steam executable, and it is in your Steam install directory. It is not related to the game itself. But I still would not do it that way.

Have you tried this:

• make sure OBSE is installed (from the official site --> http://obse.silverlock.org both the 0021 download and the latest loader, in the actual Oblivion directory where the game resides, NOT data folder) (the "src" directory and readmes are not necessary)
  • copy Blockhead files (Blockhead.dll, maybe ini if you have one) to "...Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\" (they cannot be installed virtually, at least not with a Steam version of the game, and it has been quite some time since I used a disc version)
  • open Mod Organizer -> preferences -> workarounds tab -> change launch mechanism to "Script Extender"
  • close MO, then maybe restart it (or not)
  • check that there is, in "...Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\" folder, two files: hook.dll and mo_path.txt
  • close MO
  • launch Oblivion from Steam, the Oblivion launcher will appear (none of your mods are loaded yet so do not worry about the launcher not displaying anything), click the play button, the game launches
  • when the game launches, the obse_steam_loader.dll (or such, cannot remember exactly) will load OBSE (or something like that, I am not sure exactly how it happens)
  • OBSE will load hook.dll (an OBSE plugin) that was created by MO
  • MO will build the virtual filesystem and add it to the game
  • mods will work

That is how it should (approximately) work. Make sure to install all OBSE plugins manually to make sure they are loaded by it. Your OBSE logs (created in the game folder) should have info on which plugins get loaded by it, so if you think Blockhead is not being loaded, the logs should tell you if it is or not.

Hopefully that helps a little. :smile:

Edited by Contrathetix

• 8 months later...

Mod Organizer works with Oblivion, but OBSE scripts and other particular mods (Blockhead), need to be installed to the oblivion directory.

3. Install blockhead.dll directly into \data\obse\plugins (in the Oblivion folder). Do not use MO. It won't work.

4. Now in Mod Organizer, go into the Modify Executables option and do the following:

- Click Add

5. Now go into Settings and click the Workarounds tab. There's an option called Load Mechanism. By default it will be set to Mod Organizer. Change it to Script Extender.

Use this newly created executable (from the drop down menu next to the big Run button) any time you want to launch your modded oblivion. If you've done it right, it will load up the Oblivion launch pad, and from there you just click play.

I spent hours reading contradictory information, but this post is the only thing that helped me set up Mod Organizer + Blockhead + Oblivion Character Overhaul + the Steam version of Oblivion.

Should be the first hit on google. Thank you!!!

I did all the steps but didnt have the option for "Script Extender"

• 4 months later...

>Both OBSE and Blockhead CAN NOT BE INSTALLED USING ANY MOD MANAGER. They must be installed manually. No exceptions. Be sure to read the instructions and place the correct files and folders in the correct folders of your game installation.

I'v done plugins with NMM successfully. Helps me keep track of what OBSE plugin I have.

• 2 months later...

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! So apparently if anything and I mean anything in your oblivion folder is set to open as admin then for some reason blockhead can't install to the oblivion when you launch it it's a little strange but just set your oblivion to launch without admin right this took me forever to figure out but I did phew!

• 1 month later...

- Click Add

So, "Script Extender" isn't showing up for me in the Load Mechanism drop bar. is there anything i can do?

• 8 months later...

- Click Add

you beautiful bastard it worked, thank you so much

• 11 months later...

- Click Add

I know this post is nearly 5 years old, so hopefully you are still active on this network and can help me out. I have done all of these steps, but when I get to the fifth one, where you say there should be a selection option for "script extender", I see nothing. Where did I go wrong?

I'm not sure why it is this difficult to run mods in Oblivion. I played it on PC years ago and successfully had over a hundred mods running, without script extenders and Wry Bashes, etc. Why is it so dang complicated today?!

• 1 year later...

BUMP

Sup bros. When I try to activate the script extender in workarounds in my Mod Organizer, the option isn't there. I click on the box, and it simply isn't there. OBSE works, I got that confirmed through the OBSE tester and through other mods I got working that require it but no matter what I do the blockheads won't work. Why won't the script extender option in workarounds pop up?

Thanks bros