No game data on top level with MO

videojuegos17

i am getting this same error and i try to set as directory on the file and it just takes me to the next file in the tree and i try to set each on as directory and still cant clear the error.. i am trying to install mainly re-texture mods such as the "Realistic" set.. any help would be great..

this is one i am trying to install and the rest of the mods linked on the page.. ty in advance :)

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/60438/?

Seriously? Where is Tony971's MO page when you need it? This is basic, 101 here, people. You're getting that error because the mod wasn't packaged correctly. It's easy to fix, either manually, or through MO. The Data folder must be set as the directory in MO, nothing else.

To do it manually...

Create a folder called Data. Insert the mod's files. There should be folders like Textures, Meshes, and an ESP. Those go in the Data folder. Then you put that folder into another folder called NameOfMod, v x.x.x. Zip it, and point your mod manager's installer at it.

Why that extra folder is hanging outside of the Data folder in that mod in the post above, I have no idea. Doesn't look right.

I believe WryeBash is capable of fixing these errors, too, but I'm not familiar enough with it.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I had the same problem with the same error. Though a mod for Fallout 4.

I got my mod working by allowing MO to download the file, then double-clicking on the file

in the "Downloads" tab in the right pane.

Then a small window will open asking you if you want to do a "Quick Install", "Manual" or

"Cancel".

Select "Manual" install and it comes up with the dreaded, "No game data on top level".

You then need to click on the checked data folder, then right click and tell it to "Set data directory".

It should then give you the, "Looks good".

I hope the above helps.

Regards,

Relayer

Edited by Relayer110

• 2 months later...

As a newcomer to Skyrim struggling with its various modding issues basically from scratch, thank you Relayer for these simple practical instructions on how to overcome "the dreaded, 'No game data on top level'" error message.

• 9 months later...

Nope,NONE of this is working for me :sad:

Trying to get XP32/Finis to install wiith it " Looking Good".

Tried repacking and it WILL NOT work.

I've installed some other mods, Including SMIM, that wouldn't go green and they seem to work without issue..

Immersive Citizens shows no errors and says "Immersive Citizens Activated" in white letters/upper left during the intro despite being installed with NO GREEN.

I haven't gotten into any towns yet so I don't know for sure if it's working but it looks like it is :smile:

So is it essential for XP32/FNIS to not install in "The Red" with MO2?

• 3 months later...

Don't even pretend this is basic stuff, nothing about this is simple. I've been creating and installing mods for years and this even has me lost.

And your explanation for a fix isn't very clear. We aren't in your head, dude, you're only half explaining what you expect us to do.

Seriously? Where is Tony971's MO page when you need it? This is basic, 101 here, people. You're getting that error because the mod wasn't packaged correctly. It's easy to fix, either manually, or through MO. The Data folder must be set as the directory in MO, nothing else.

To do it manually...

Create a folder called Data. Insert the mod's files. There should be folders like Textures, Meshes, and an ESP. Those go in the Data folder. Then you put that folder into another folder called NameOfMod, v x.x.x. Zip it, and point your mod manager's installer at it.

Why that extra folder is hanging outside of the Data folder in that mod in the post above, I have no idea. Doesn't look right.

I believe WryeBash is capable of fixing these errors, too, but I'm not familiar enough with it.

Edited by AlyshaSky

Nope,NONE of this is working for me :sad:

Trying to get XP32/Finis to install wiith it " Looking Good".

Tried repacking and it WILL NOT work.

I've installed some other mods, Including SMIM, that wouldn't go green and they seem to work without issue..

Immersive Citizens shows no errors and says "Immersive Citizens Activated" in white letters/upper left during the intro despite being installed with NO GREEN.

I haven't gotten into any towns yet so I don't know for sure if it's working but it looks like it is :smile:

So is it essential for XP32/FNIS to not install in "The Red" with MO2?

The reason is VERY, VERY simple. I, like other mod authors, always have a README (and maybe other files, like example scripts) going with the release. And since these files are not part of Skyrim, we pack them IN PARALLEL of "Data". And it also makes it much easier to collect the mod files under one singel root, and not have "meshes", "scripts", "tools" separately. It'S not trivial to handle this with archivers. At least not with my 7zip.

NMM NEVER had a problem with that, but MO always had. I didn't see any reason why I should have changed my upload strategy just because MO showed up. And honestly, I have never understood why this simple situation has never been take into consideration by MO. COMPLAIN TO THEM!!!

• 2 years later...

Maybe you have installed the game incorrectly, and some files are missing. I had a similar situation. The computer was installing the video game, but the antivirus software was deleting automatically some files that were installed. In such a case, I stop installing the game because if the antivirus deletes the files, there might be a threat. For example, before using the antivirus, I was installing pirate software, and my SSD was corrupted, and I lost all of my data. I have used the services of salvagedata.com to recover it, but I don't want it to reappear again.

Edited by denalauder