Different shades of same textures in nifs: how?

Hoamaii

Hi guys,

Can any of you help me figure out how and why some nifs' textures appear a different shade in Vanilla meshes than they do on your custom mesh when you import the BSLightingShaderProperty?

One example: in game and in Nifskope, the dwepipevalve01's wheel is reddish (from the dwemer valve in meshes\dungeons\dwemer\pipes\valves) even though its diffuse texture (DweMetalSheet01) is not.

When I simply copy the BSLightingShaderProperty into my custom mesh, I only get the regular bronze-like metal shade, the red tint is gone - so I'd guess the setting for it is not is the BSLightingShaderProperty block. But where is it then?

Is it just in the VertexColors of the NiTriShape block or do I need to set it up somewhere else too? And is that the only use of vertex colors or what other purpose do they serve?

Thanks in advance to whomever can enlighten me :).

The Red is in the vertex colors, go to NiTriShapeData and expand the vertex colors - all is red.

This is not the only purpose for vertex colors. Mostly they are used to paint shades on a mesh to give the object more depth, for instance dark shades beneath a window sill to make it look like shadows. Or to make them look a bit rotten like the green shades of the underwater parts of a dock.

You can even use vertex colors to make meshes transparent, partially or total, by using the vertex alpha.

Edited by Tamira

Thanks Tamira - I was just looking at that in Nifskope, I saw they're all red but I can't figure out how to copy these vertex colors from one nif to import the settings into another? I've been trying to simple copy their ID number, but I just cannot select it - or do you have to do that in 3DS?

Ouch, that's what I feared. Yeah, copying the values one by one takes forever (I did try!.. hehe) and is not even that accurate...

As for doing that in 3DS, I've never painted vertex before, that would mean going back to the basics for me I guess... Sigh.