Dawnguard Dragon Priest(s)

StellarVisions

So, I recently downloaded and installed Konahrik’s Accoutrements, which expands and adds to the Dragon Priests in vanilla Skyrim and the Dragonborn DLC. I’m not very far into it yet, but what I’ve seen so far I like.

This got me thinking about the tragic lack of Dragon Priests in the Dawnguard DLC, and thus I came up with this idea for a mod;

In Forgotten Vale, in the area of the map where you fight the two named dragons, there would be a draugr sarcophagus on the small island with the word wall. Depending on whether the Dragonborn sided with the Dawnguard or Volkihar, one of two Dragon Priests would burst forth from the sarcophagus, and upon defeat would yield a Dragon Priest Mask and Staff that would augment the abilities of either a Vampire Lord or Vampire Hunter.

In terms of lore, it would be said that either Knight-Captain Gelebor or Arch-Curate Vyrthur became aware of the two dragons sealed away in the ice, and wanting an “insurance policy” if they ever woke up, had one of their number (either a Knight of Auri-El or a Volkihar Vampire) become a Dragon Priest in order to stand vigil over the sleeping dragons. When Alduin wakes up, he goes looking for dragons to resurrect, and comes across the two dragons in the ice. After failing to wake them up (due to the ice and the magical, purifying nature of Forgotten Vale), he would instead have used some variation of the Bend Will shout to place the attending Dragon Priest under his thrall, instructed to attack the Dragonborn should he happen to come looking for the Word Wall in the area.

I haven't ironed out all of the details yet (such as what the two dragon priests would be named, though probably something sun- and blood-related would be fitting), but I think that a Dragon Priest in Forgotten Vale would help to unify the Dragonborn DLC with the rest of vanilla Skyrim.

Anyone up for this?

The problem with that is the Dragon Priests Existed long before even the first vampire existed so theirfor it would make virtually no sense at all for them to have items that would augment the power's of a being that when they were around did not exist therefore something like a Lich would make more sense.

Edited by tx12001

EDIT: SO I just had an idea. The "Dragon Priest" in question would in fact be a Lich created by Arch-Curate Vyrthur, in an attempt to duplicated the process by which the Dragon Priests were created. He then set his "Dragon Priest" to guarding the dragons and word wall, as if to legitimize it as an actual "Dragon Priest". Depending on one's alignment in the Dawnguard questline, it would either be Knight-Captain Gelebor's second-in-command, or the vampire that cursed Vyrthur in the first place, which would explain why the abilities of the looted mask and staff would be aligned with a Vampire Lord or Hunter.

Edited by StellarVisions

EDIT: SO I just had an idea. The "Dragon Priest" in question would in fact be a Lich created by Arch-Curate Vyrthur, in an attempt to duplicated the process by which the Dragon Priests were created. He then set his "Dragon Priest" to guarding the dragons and word wall, as if to legitimize it as an actual "Dragon Priest". Depending on one's alignment in the Dawnguard questline, it would either be Knight-Captain Gelebor's second-in-command, or the vampire that cursed Vyrthur in the first place, which would explain why the abilities of the looted mask and staff would be aligned with a Vampire Lord or Hunter.

Mm..

Falmer were driven away by nords, from which dragon priests were born. It could make sense that he wanted to achieve similar power to dragon priests.

However, this idea has flaw as well. Arch-Curate isn't interested on abilities gained from others. If I correctly remember he doesn't use any vampiric abilities or powers. He hates vampires, which is most likely the reason he froze his brethren inside ice as well. So I'd say lore-wise he wouldn't try to copy something from the monsters that wanted to kill them and drove them from their lands.

I'd say it'd be more interesting to see some sort of elven artifacts in similar style as Auriels bow and shield are. It could be elven mage frozen in time at the lake, wearing ceremonial clothing and mask. (Imagine morrowind ordinator- style mask with falmeric colors and style)

Though I'll stop hijacking thread here.

Mm..

Falmer were driven away by nords, from which dragon priests were born. It could make sense that he wanted to achieve similar power to dragon priests.

However, this idea has flaw as well. Arch-Curate isn't interested on abilities gained from others. If I correctly remember he doesn't use any vampiric abilities or powers. He hates vampires, which is most likely the reason he froze his brethren inside ice as well. So I'd say lore-wise he wouldn't try to copy something from the monsters that wanted to kill them and drove them from their lands.

I'd say it'd be more interesting to see some sort of elven artifacts in similar style as Auriels bow and shield are. It could be elven mage frozen in time at the lake, wearing ceremonial clothing and mask. (Imagine morrowind ordinator- style mask with falmeric colors and style)

Though I'll stop hijacking thread here.

Hey, any contributions are welcome. I'll admit that Skyrim is my first Elder Scrolls game, so I don't know the lore as well as I probably should for suggesting a lore-based mod. I just thought it would be cool to have sort of a "sub-boss" in the Forgotten Vale area that wasn't a dragon. The reason I initially suggested a Dragon Priest was because Dawnguard is the only big DLC that doesn't have Dragon Priests as bosses.

Another idea I had was that the Dragon Priest, as well as the dragons and word wall were already there when the Snow Elves built the Shrine of Auri-El (which also explains why it's so high on the hill. They're trying not to wake the dragons), and after the fall of the Snow Elves either Knight-Captain Gelebor or Arch-Curate Vyrthur kind of..."deputized" the Dragon Priest in order to hold the other at bay. Vyrthur did so only reluctantly, possibly as an attempt to rid himself of his Vampiric abilities (thinking that passing them to someone else would somehow get rid of them). Knight-Captain Gelebor did it specifically because he dared not proceed any further into Forgotten Vale.