OBSE help?

Ma9nUs

So I started using mods for oblivion but I just got a windows 8 computer and the elder scrolls anthology ( mind you im new to this and this is day 3 of doing nothing but uninstalling reinstalling then adding OBSE) mods work fine on Nexus mod manager or oblivion mod manager or wyre bash... (yes ive tried all 3). however the better mods require OBSE and it isn't working. nothing helps ive tried everything from putting OBSE in different folders to reinstalling both oblivion and OBSE this is rather annoying and no ones seemed to be able to help me.

now my main problem is is that the mods on OBMM or NMM or WB work fine OBSE works fine... OBSE does not however load mods, and mods do not load OBSE I either have one or the other. I have all 9 vanilla DLC and they don't even load with the OBSE_Launcher. I really just want these mods for crafting in oblivion is non existent and some other mods but still. I don't understand I follow the exact instruction on the readme, and ive probably watched dozens of videos showing the exact same thing I did... over and over and over again .

I extract every file im supposed to the oblivion folder and it launches but I get in game and its nothing but oblivion... nomods... no knights of the nine, no shivering isles, nada shiza. this OBSE seems to not work on windows eight or maybe its the anthology edition but either way it doesn't work. I don't know how to make a mod manager launch the game via the OBSE instead of the normal launcher but its rather frustrating I kinda got the anthology to mod the games ( given ive beaten every single dungeon daggerfall +) morrowind doesn't need a script extender for most of the mods, skyrims script extender works perfectly but oblivion -_- idk what went wrong idk must have dropped the OBSE on its head when it was a baby cus its messed up something aint right...

anyways if you have any video links or suggestions that could be helpful thatd be great. any help is appreciated

Peace,
MAGNUS

Hey, Magnus.

First of all, forget about NMM for Oblivion. Do not use it. NMM is for Skyrim and other games newer than Oblivion.

For Oblivion, use only OBMM for omod installers, Wrye Bash for bain installers, and manual installation if the mod does not have omod or bain installers.

Now, your problem. It's not a problem with OBSE, it's a problem with your game installation in the first place. OBSE definitely can't disable any mod or the Official DLCs. Period.

If I'm not wrong, the Anthology Edition requires validation via Steam, and can be played through Steam or through the desktop shortcut launcher. Which one are you using? You can't use both, you must choose one and stick to it definitely.

And most likely you installed Oblivion in your C:\ProgramFiles folder. Bad practice, most utilities and mods will not work due Windows' UAC system, if you don't give them Admin rights.

However, here's a summary of the proper installation of the base Oblivion Game, the Official DLCs, and OBSE:

1- Install the base Game.

2- Install all the Official DLCs, leaving Shivering Isles for the last (this is not mandatory, but recommendable).

3- Install the Shivering Isles Official Patch.

4- OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDABLE: install, in this precise order, the Unofficial Oblivion Patch, the Unofficial Official Plug-Ins Patch, and the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.

5- Launch the vanilla Oblivion Launcher, access the Data Files section, and enable all the DLCs and the Unofficial Patches (all of them).

6- Install your Mod Manager of choice, either OBMM, Wrye Bash or both.

7- Install OBSE as per its Installation Instructions. You must install it manually, do not try to install it with NMM, OBMM nor Wrye Bash, it will not work. The installation is as follows: unpack the downloaded file to your Desktop, and take the files obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_loader.exe and the Data folder (ignore the src folder), and copy them inside your BethesdaSoftworks\Oblivion folder. You will be warned that "This folder already contains a folder called Data". It's ok, click "Yes to all" and allow to overwrite. That's all for OBSE installation. But if you misplace the files and folder and put them anywhere else, OBSE will not work.

8- The above instructions are for playing Oblivion via the disc. If you play via Steam, you must put also the obse_steam_loader.dll in addition to the aforementioned files and folder.

9- To launch the game (disc version) with OBSE enabled: use the obse_loader.exe or, alternatively, open OBMM, click the Launch Game button, and when the warning message appears, HOLD THE SHIFT KEY AND CLICK "YES". This is a one-time-only procedure, the next time you click this Launch Game inside OBMM the warning message will not appear. To launch the game with OBSE enabled via Wrye Bash, locate in the button bar at the bottom of the window the button "Launch Oblivion and OBSE".

Modding Oblivion is nothing like modding Skyrim (nor Morrowind). Oblivion is a more delicate game and needs its own ways to do things. Forget "Click the Big Green Button and play":

Cheers!

First - when all else fails read the directions - OBSE is not a mod and does not install like a mod. If you don't read the installation instructions you WILL get it wrong. If you downloaded OBSE from anywhere except the official site - you may not have the real version at all -

http://obse.silverlock.org/

The installation instructions are included in the download.

OR here is a copy of the instructions.

[ Installation ]

The instructions for installing and running OBSE differ based on whether you are using a retail or Steam version of the game.

IF YOU PURCHASED A RETAIL (NON-STEAM) VERSION OF OBLIVION:

1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_loader.exe and the Data folder to your Oblivion directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder, and should contain files called "Oblivion.exe" and "OblivionLauncher.exe".
3. Run oblivion by running obse_loader.exe from the Oblivion directory.

If you use a desktop shortcut to launch Oblivion normally, just update the shortcut to point to obse_loader.exe instead of oblivion.exe.

IF YOU ARE USING THE STEAM VERSION OF OBLIVION:

1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll and the Data folder to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion".
2. Ensure you have enabled the Steam community in-game, or OBSE will fail to load. Go to Steam > Settings > In-Game and check the box marked "Enable Steam Community In-Game".
3. Launch Oblivion via Steam or by running Oblivion.exe. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

RUNNING TES:CONSTRUCTION SET WITH OBSE:

Scripts written with these new commands must be written via the TESConstructionSet launched with obse_loader. Open a command prompt window, navigate to your oblivion install folder, and type "obse_loader -editor". The normal editor can open plugins with these extended scripts fine, it just can't recompile them and will give errors if you try.

As of v0021, the loader uses a different method to start the TESConstructionSet. The new implementation may be incompatible with some third-party plugins. To revert to the old method, use the '-oldinject' switch.Best method - use the 'Latest Loader' version - just run the exe included and it should just install itself

OBSE does not work with: And, NO it cannot be fixed
Oblivion 1.2.0.214 This was the official downloadable 1.2 patch. (as of v0017)
Oblivion 1.2.0.410: the Shivering Isles beta patch.
Oblivion 1.2.0.201: the Shivering Isles DVD build.
Oblivion 1.1.0.511 This was the original Oblivion that OBSE supported. (as of v0017)
Oblivion 1.0: the original DVD build of Oblivion.
The Direct2Drive version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by D2D is encrypted, and we cannot patch it without breaking the encryption. We will not do this, as it is illegal.
The Impulse version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by Impulse is also encrypted.
The GameSpot version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by GameSpot is also encrypted.
Probably any digital distribution version other than Steam. This is just going on history with other services.

And also many pirated versions as well.

THANK YOU haha four days of coffee feuled headaches with trial and error fixed by one little mistake I tried putting in the exact files ( taking out the readme and whats new txt files) and just those three got it to work finally I can craft and use kvatch rebuilt anyways thanks for the help guys and ill see you around the forums

Hooray, Magnus, your game is now fixed!

Mission accomplished, Ben. Now let's continue watching from the sky looking for more Oblivioneers in need.

/me takes off and disappears high in the sky, before realizing that, in fact, he cannot fly.

Cheers!