upgrading my system from 32 bit to 64. should i do something before installing mods ?

furialink

i do not know much about a computer or modding , i just play skyrim and install mods thats all , but lately is starting to get a little slow . my brother is going to buy 8 gb of memory and my question is should i install something from the nexus or other place that would make my skyrim beneffit more from those new 8 gb of memory ??

i know that there are hundreds of post like this but as i already mencioned , i dont know much about computers and most of the time i end up more confuse than before , thats why i am making a new post.

my sistem specs are these for now until we get the new memory

core i5 2500 k

msi 560 gtx ti.

4 gb gskill 1600 mhz.

Edited by furialink

4gb nowdays is inadequate for gaming, since system alone uses around 2gb of memory. With moded skyrim you will experience frequent CDTs. Two sticks of 4gb will be perfect (less strain on cpu than four sticks 2gb each). 1600mhz is minimum and I would recommend 2400mhz, if there's not that much of a difference in price. You might see more improvement with higher speeds in new tittles.

I recommend cleaning your drive and running defragmentation, if you're going to leave alone your partition/storage drive untouched.

For modding skyrim get Mod Organizer and set it up with SKSE / LOOT / TESEdit5. Clean your masterfiles of dirty edits. Check Gophers youtube guides on how to do all of that.

Your next upgrade should be your graphic card. Gtx 970 seems like a reasonable choice, even if it can access only 3.5gb when not forced. It sells for 340$ and the price might soon drop a bit. Used or clearance sale gtx 780 ti would be an option too.

With your current card you should be able to run Clarity ENB at 30+ fps.

Edited by BlackRoseOfThorns

4gb nowdays is inadequate for gaming, since system alone uses around 2gb of memory. With moded skyrim you will experience frequent CDTs. Two sticks of 4gb will be perfect (less strain on cpu than four sticks 2gb each). 1600mhz is minimum and I would recommend 2400mhz, if there's not that much of a difference in price. You might see more improvement with higher speeds in new tittles.

I recommend cleaning your drive and running defragmentation, if you're going to leave alone your partition/storage drive untouched.

For modding skyrim get Mod Organizer and set it up with SKSE / LOOT / TESEdit5. Clean your masterfiles of dirty edits. Check Gophers youtube guides on how to do all of that.

Your next upgrade should be your graphic card. Gtx 970 seems like a reasonable choice, even if it can access only 3.5gb when not forced. It sells for 340$ and the price might soon drop a bit. Used or clearance sale gtx 780 ti would be an option too.

With your current card you should be able to run Clarity ENB at 30+ fps.

thank you for your answer , i understand that skyrim doesnt have a 64 bit version .

does that means that even if i have 8 gb of ram , i wont see any improvement ??

If and only if you have a 64 bit system will you see any improvement - A 32 bit system cannot use more then 4G of ram no mater what. On a 64 bit with more than 4G - the game can use 4G to run. And anything else, such as Windows and any background processes that are running, will use that extra ram above 4G.

To run Skyrim + 64 bit system you should have 6gb of ram, but it's better to get even number like 8 (4 ram stick 2gb each or even better 2 sticks 4gb each). With more ram you won't notice that much difference in fps in skyrim, however the stability of the game will improve. If you want more fps you need to get a new gpu.

Edited by BlackRoseOfThorns