Whats up with deathclaws

Spizzay69

I took on the quarry with 5 companions in tow. Hardcore mode, Very Hard game mode...My character is level 25, speciallizing in Guns, we were all outfitted with perfect armor, weapons and everyone had AP rounds for thier weapons, except Veronica (Love and Hate =) ) and Rex...

Rex, as brave a that dog is...or was, was the first to go..literally!..i think he glitched when the deathclaw hit him cause he took off at like 200mph at a 45* angle to the west somewhere and was never seen again :blink:

Boone the Bonehead...decided in the beginning to switch from his AK-47 with AP rounds to melee weapon, which i forgot i had givin him the 9 Iron golf club so he did not fare so well, 2 hits and he was down for good.... :wallbash:

Cass did a great job with the Incinerator...lighting up Deathclaws left right and center taking a couple hits, then she decided it would be a good idea to light up a deathclaw that was right beside her....they both burned to death. :wacko:

Raul got himself between a rock and a deathclaw....last i saw him, he had no head. :ohmy:

Veronica?....wow. I kept her using melee weapons, She took on 5-6 of the little deathclaws with Love and Hate, her favorite weapons untill the alpha male came up behind her....i still see her last breath as she turned around just in time to see the huge claw swiping at her. :sad:

Me?....ya, i knew it was gonna end bad, so i ran in circles dropping the 9-10 C-4 charges i had on me. Waited till the rest of the Deathclaws were about to converge on me to rip me to pieces then pulled the trigger to the detonator. I might have died but so did everything else...at least i think so...couldnt really see good from 300-400 feet in the air. :thumbsup:

I dont like Deathclaws :P

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a crap-ton of ammo and used the stealthboy the gang leader drops in goodsprings to climb up on the machinery in the middle of the quarry.. since the death-claws couldn't get up I just sat there and plinked shots at them till they all died.. took a while but I got a bunch of lvls out of it and took no damage at all

I used to hate deathclaws (and giant radscorpions, which were responsible for the death of rex in my hardcore game) until i figured out how DT worked and that you can get 100% crit on a sniper rifle. Then, as long as you aren't fighting them in a cave... ... ... they're not terribly hard.

Video I made:

I still hate cazadors, although decidedly less now that I picked up a LMG and have a bucket load of HP ammo from my marksman carbine days.

I cut a wide path around the Deathclaw infested areas until I'm at least level 20, have a 90+ guns skill, and an Anti-Material rifle. Having a lot of doses of steady helps. Engaging them on the ground is a fools errand, I think. For me it's all about sneaking into a position where they cannot get to you easily, and picking them off at very long range.

Deathclaws have gotten frustratingly hard. The difficulty of these critters doesn't remind me of fallout 2 though, they remind me of Oblivion. I remember late game Oblivion. where I was a very high level and you had the ogres and chieftain goblins which not only could hit mysteriously hard, but also required a large amount of sword hits to die, and an impossible number of arrows. I never liked the way they leveled those creatures, I like how they made that better from Oblivion to Fallout 3 (without drawing too many parallels). I have to admit I'm disappointed they've reinstated this, in my opinion, static and hopeless way of leveling encounters.

Sure it's nice to have challenges even at very high levels, but I think it's alright to feel that you're boss for the last levels too. Morrowind manages this almost perfectly; you felt like a real hero in the places where you were scared before, yet still there were challenges in logical places; killing of the head vampire or some demi-god, should be hard. Walking through the same forest and being beaten up by the almost same goblins (now they call themselves brutes and have extra shoulder-pads) makes you feel like your the same, weak little *censored* you were ten levels ago.

I agree the deatclaws should be hard, but there's something about making a challenge without making it frustrating. A few well placed hits from the games most hard hitting weapons should be more than enough. When you've emptied two mags (f***ing drawers) of 5mm from your minigun, and that awful creature is still playing tough with it's irritatingly simplistic and far too effective attack, I for one feel....deflated. Oh those *^?`)(&%¤ jumps it makes just infuriates me. I feel like I'm fighting a high speeding trailer from atop of a tiny tricycle.

I wish they could have made them just a little bit harder; kind of in the middle somewhere between the fallout 3 ones and the munchkins they've become.

And for those of you who cheer on every time these games get very difficult; are you sure you are playing on hard enough difficulty level? I imagine the hardest one would be quite the challenge, especially on hardcore mode. And if you're playing at the hardest level on hardcore mode and still think it's too easy, you need to degeek a little and give us other softer players a chance. Or try playing blindfolded or with one arm or something.

tl;dr: it's ok to make deathclaws more difficult, but don't overdo it. They've become partypoopers

Deathclaws are hard, but people tend to make this hard on themselves, by either trying to take these out at a low level, or by using melee/unarmed and high DPS, low damage per hit weapons are a no go vs Death Claws, if you are trying to take one out with a SMG, minigun, and automatic weapon, you are just asking to get killed lol.

Deathclaws are hard, but people tend to make this hard on themselves, by either trying to take these out at a low level, or by using melee/unarmed and high DPS, low damage per hit weapons are a no go vs Death Claws, if you are trying to take one out with a SMG, minigun, and automatic weapon, you are just asking to get killed lol.

'Tis true, I found the gauss gun quite effective. I haven't tried the anti-material with AP yet. But still, I found the deathclaw's irritating ability to soar across the landscape with their superman jumps, and unfairly overpowered and irritating superrake ability to make it still very difficult.

Ah yes deathclaws in NV... While i feel most other factions are rather "underpowered" (I wasted a group of powder gangers as a lvl 1 noob with a nearly broken varmint rifle alone) the deathclaws are ridiculously overpowered. They don't really have any weak spots. The best you can do is to try crippling their legs - only chance to escape their claws.

Imho it's a bit frustrating when the anti-material rifle with armor piercing ammo isn't even able to penetrate their head. The only realistic chance for a "1 hit kill" on a healthy adult deathclaw is a critical to the head using the anti-material rifle with a sneak attack, basically everything else is futile. They eat your Plasma caster shots for breakfast!