Whats up with deathclaws

Spizzay69

I think deathclaw's fearsomeness is just about right. They're supposed to be tough. The cazadores' deadliness is a bit of a surprise though, they look like overgrown flies yet are rather deadly. Not to mention they like to attack in swarms!

My melee character managed to wipe out the deathclaw family in Quarry Junction. Took several tries though. It takes my character (100 melee armed with Knock Knock) three or four swipes per regular deathclaw, though it took only two from them to take me out. This is on hardcore as well. As long as there's no more than one or two of them at a time, it's OK. The knock down effect (I think this might be from a perk) helps a lot, once they're knocked down it's a piece of cake, obviously. The mother and alpha male takes many swipes to kill, and if they weren't knocked down quickly it would've been impossible, I think. They surely would've been able to take the two swipes needed to bring my character down in the time it takes to bring them down! Companion Boone and Rex helped immensely too, especially when fighting more than one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried recently to tackle quarry junction last night before sleeping. No problem taking out 3 or so regular death claws using mantis gauntlet. But I gotta try again under cover of night, and maybe without companions (or an ed-e/boone combo) Rex has a nasty habit of dying in very hard, even with lupas brain.

Update: No companions, at night. One stealthboy to quickly take out the Alpha Male and Mother, a handful of throwing knives to dispatch the babies (while weak, are too numerous to sneak kill one by one unarmed once the stealthboy wears off)

After that is done, took my good sweet time sneak attacking the remaining Deathclaws using the Mantis Gauntlet.

No chance in full frontal assault though. Level 28 and they can still kill me in 2-3 shots.

Edited by Park77

I try to engage Deathclaws at max range with suppressed/silenced sniper weapons. head shots and limb shots. Going for the body just brings them running my way. I like the 308 suppressed. I have not tried the anti-mat rifle yet. Just go slow and keep your distance. also climb onto the gravel sorter as quickly as possible, the deathclaws don't seem to figure out how to climb it.

I can usually take several hits, but not when they gang up on you. When you goto raise that bomber plane there is an area where there are quite a few deathclaws. Most are blind or young, there are a few regulars there also. But they tag team you like it's a WWE Royal Rumble!!!

the trick to it is to sneak kill them because i am level 25 and still die fast. so get a suppressed weapon and snipe them so not to disturb all of them. (guns skill 100 best to have for this).

Did guarry junction last night with a few mods such as arwens tweaks, and caliber, had 7 companions armed with service rifles chambered for 7.62 AP rounds, lost 3 of em before we got to the center, Then my right flank folded in and they got to me lol, went down in 1 hit from that damn alpha. Only thing I dislike about deathclaws is they do not use cover to close the distance, Being lizards I thought they would know to slither and sneak between the rocks and what not to avoid fire as they get close to you.

Did guarry junction last night with a few mods such as arwens tweaks, and caliber, had 7 companions armed with service rifles chambered for 7.62 AP rounds, lost 3 of em before we got to the center, Then my right flank folded in and they got to me lol, went down in 1 hit from that damn alpha. Only thing I dislike about deathclaws is they do not use cover to close the distance, Being lizards I thought they would know to slither and sneak between the rocks and what not to avoid fire as they get close to you.

Haha, you went in guns blazing didn't you?

Deathclaws were genetically made by the Army in prewar days. Deathclaws have a unique bone structure and claws the length of your arms which makes them the most powerful monster in the wasteland (Yes, even more powerful then a Behemoth). They were actually meant to have fur on their body but the fur was excluded due to many bugs with it.