Get Spouse/NPC to Sleep in Custom House

CuseGirl

Ok, here's the long of it:

I wanted to create a mod so that my spouse can leave the house, mingle around Whiterun (or any town we are living in), then go home, sandbox, and sleep.

I know that the RelationshipMarriageFin quest handles the Spouse Packages in all the holds. I started with just Whiterun. Now, I am aware that there's a mod similar to this but it also makes changes to Carlotta's market stand and does some other stuff that I'm not interested in. All I want is what I described above and after getting that correct in Whiterun, I want to extend that to the other major holds.

The issue is, once she does all her sandboxing and mingling, she won't go back to the Breezehome location. I pinpointed Breezehome as the culprit, because when I set the Sleep Location to "Editor Location", she stopped sandboxing and headed out the front gate of Whiterun and proceeded to walk to Riften (I'm married to Sylgja).

Right now, I'm using a custom version of Breezehome, but it's still technically "Breezehome Cell". It shouldn't matter that the house is customized. The children we adopted know to come back to Breezehome when playtime is over, so what is the issue with the spouse?

TL;DR - How do I direct an NPC/Spouse sleep package to a bed in a custom house?

Your mod editing Breezehome has corrupted navmesh. If you want to be sure, just remove your breezehome mod, and see if your issue is fixed.

Before I saw this response, I set the Sleep Location to "commondoublebed" in the BreezehomeCell and she walked home. But when she got in the house, she just stood there in front of the door.

What does the navmesh have to do with the spouse/mod adhering to the cell location? When the spouse and children are in the house, they walk around just fine.

I guess what has me frustrated is the cell will ALWAYS be WhiterunBreezehome. It shouldn't matter about the navmesh or whatever is inside the house. The package should see the cell listed, send her there, and when she's inside, she should choose a bed not owned by a child. It doesn't make sense that the children's packages are able to recognize the custom house and send them in but not the spouse.

Edited by CuseGirl

AI quality is strongly linked to navmesh. A lot of mod authors edit navigation mesh while they have no clue how Artificial Intelligence works in Skyrim and how the pathfinding algorithm work. This leads to the result you get.

If you don't want to perform the test I suggested, take a look a my flickr profile and you'll see that i know about what I speak.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128143940@N04/

AI quality is strongly linked to navmesh. A lot of mod authors edit navigation mesh while they have no clue how Artificial Intelligence works in Skyrim and how the pathfinding algorithm work. This leads to the result you get.

If you don't want to perform the test I suggested, take a look a my flickr profile and you'll see that i know about what I speak.

I don't doubt what you're saying. I guess I'm just confused. I've never made a custom house, I'm using Soupdragon's Breezehome with Beds Plus. I have 6 kids, so testing with Vanilla Breezehome really doesn't work for me. I guess maybe I'm juggling too many variables at once. Thank you though, for the suggestions.

Ok, here's the long of it:

I wanted to create a mod so that my spouse can leave the house, mingle around Whiterun (or any town we are living in), then go home, sandbox, and sleep.

I know that the RelationshipMarriageFin quest handles the Spouse Packages in all the holds. I started with just Whiterun. Now, I am aware that there's a mod similar to this but it also makes changes to Carlotta's market stand and does some other stuff that I'm not interested in. All I want is what I described above and after getting that correct in Whiterun, I want to extend that to the other major holds.

The issue is, once she does all her sandboxing and mingling, she won't go back to the Breezehome location. I pinpointed Breezehome as the culprit, because when I set the Sleep Location to "Editor Location", she stopped sandboxing and headed out the front gate of Whiterun and proceeded to walk to Riften (I'm married to Sylgja).

Right now, I'm using a custom version of Breezehome, but it's still technically "Breezehome Cell". It shouldn't matter that the house is customized. The children we adopted know to come back to Breezehome when playtime is over, so what is the issue with the spouse?

TL;DR - How do I direct an NPC/Spouse sleep package to a bed in a custom house?

I am not an expert on this topic and frankly I never played around this kind of thing, but I saw an article and remember that the cell ownership effects the npc behavior. In order NPCs to play their idle (use stuff in the area) the ownership option of the cell must be "playerfaction" not the "player"...

I hope it works...

Edited by sonogu

I don't doubt what you're saying. I guess I'm just confused. I've never made a custom house, I'm using Soupdragon's Breezehome with Beds Plus. I have 6 kids, so testing with Vanilla Breezehome really doesn't work for me. I guess maybe I'm juggling too many variables at once. Thank you though, for the suggestions.

No problem, anyway, I badly read your problem description, so my answer wasn't adequate.

You can't set the Sleep Location to "Editor Location" to get what you want, because Sylgjas is located in the cell "ShorsStoneSylgjaHouse". In short, by setting the Sleep Location to "Editor Location", you ask her to sleep in her former house (located in Shor's Stone).

You have to set the sleep Location to a specific bed in the BreezehomeCell (you have already done that).

Then you have to check the bed faction, if the bed is owned by an NPC (or by the player") or by a faction whose she is not part of, she won't use the bed. Just remove the ownership. Don't add the required faction to Sylgjas, because it won't work, unless you start a new game.

If it's still doesn't work, you have to be sure that the bed has adequate entry/exit nodes (light blue diamonds). If these nods aren't covered by navmeshes or are blocked by a wall or any objects, she won't be able to use the bed. In this case you have to substitute the bed with a new adequate bed. You also have to make sure she can get his way to the bed, if the navmeshes (or a part of navmeshes ) leading to the bed are too narrows, she'll just stood in front of the door.

I only got it to work when I selected the noble double bed in the house. I had to load the custom house as I was making the mod itself. I didn't have any intentions of making this mod public but I was hoping it would work with both Vanilla Breezehome and SoupDragon's. But yea, selecting that specific bed worked perfectly. Thanks alot.

Now if I can get these dang kids to sleep instead of standing around their beds loll....

Edited by CuseGirl