Not your usual CTD thread [memory, minidumps, access violations?]

Scruff3y

Hello nexus forums!

I am having trouble with CTD's, but then again, who isn't? Hopefully this thread is a little different from the usual "i haz ctds pls halp" threads.

I don't get many, but when I do get them, they are almost always the instant I attack an enemy with a melee weapon. The number of surrounding enemies does not seem to influence the probability of crashing, nor does it seem to be completely consistent; for example say I quicksave before entering a room in a dungeon, then I enter, attack the first Draugr I see and I hit it with my sword (Dawnbreaker, in this instance). As soon as I hit them, the game crashes. Now let's say I reopen the game, and I load that quicksave, and repeat the process. If the crashes were consistent, then I would expect to crash again, but I do not, and so I continue on my merry way slaughtering Draugr and looting Nordic ruins. I have had it crash when using spells occasionally, but the crashes are more consistent (loosely speaking) when in melee combat. I have not tested as extensively with other weapons however. I should note that the specific dump I have linked here was in Falskaar during the quest when [MINOR SPOILER] Agnar's wife and kid are taken to Fort Urok and after rescuing them you fight your way out of there, but I've experienced crashes of a similar nature regardless of loacation.

Using MemoryBlocksLog, I found that it was NOT Skyrim running out of memory and tripping up when it tries to allocate more, hail to Sheson for alleviating that problem. Taking a look at the minidump from SKSE I found something more interesting. It would seem that Skyrim is trying to access memory that it's not allowed to.

SKSE minidump: [link]

Specifically: "ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)"

Followed by: "Attempt to read from address 000000b4"

Now, from my internet research (this thread specifically) and looking at the minidump from SKSE, it seems that Skyrim (TESV.exe) is trying to read from 'no-mans land'; memory address 000000b4, which is between the 00000000 to 0000FFFF range specified in the thread. I do notice that JoeHobart is referring to Intel manuals, so the information might not be correct for me, as I am using AMD components (system specs below). Most of the other threads I read were pertaining to BSODs, with many users reporting that the issue may be driver-related, but I am unsure of the application of that knowledge here because this is game-crashing and not system-BSODing, and I don't know if drivers are out of the question when it comes to possible causes of the problem.

So I guess I have two questions: Why is Skyrim trying to access 'no-mans land' (if that even has anything to do with Skyrim, or is indicative of a bigger problem with my system I have no idea), and what the hell does melee combat have to do with it? At least hearing what others have to say would be nice :tongue:

Links:

Minidump: [link]

Modlist: [link]

Research thread: [link]

System Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4GHz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X R9 290x 8GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3

Memory: 8GB (2x4) Strontium Hynix DDR3 @ 1333MHz

Thanks for reading, sorry it's longish.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have completely random CTD problems I've been plagued with for months now and tried everything to stop it. Seems to me the game is just completly crap on my system:

I got similar issues but with

BUGCHECK_STR: APPLICATION_FAULT_INVALID_POINTER_READ_FILL_PATTERN_ffffffff

MODULE_NAME: d3d9
IMAGE_NAME: d3d9.dll

or sometimes just

BUGCHECK_STR: APPLICATION_FAULT_INVALID_POINTER_READ

MODULE_NAME: TESV
IMAGE_NAME: TESV.exe

I run RealVision ENB and have tried both Injector and Wrapper versions to no avail. I have also tried to run minimal Mods:

SKSE
ENB Realvision
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
AHZmoreHUD.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
Atlas Compass Tweaks.esp
iHUD.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
ELFX - Dragonborn.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
ELFX - Dawnguard.esp
Atlas Legendary.esp
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
Apocalypse - More Apocalypse.esp
Extended UI.esp
PerkusMaximus_Master.esp
Apocalypse - PerMa Compatibility Patch.esp
PerkusMaximus_Thief.esp
PerMa Expansion 1 - Wintermyst.esp
PerkusMaximus_Mage.esp
Apocalypse - More Apocalypse - PerMa Compatibility Patch.esp
PerkusMaximus_Warrior.esp
PerMaExtendedPerkDescriptions.esp
PermanentLegendaryBonus.esp
Pureweather.esp
RaceMenu.esp
SkyUI.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
ASIS-Dependency.esp
PatchusMaximus.esp
ASIS.esp
As you can see, simple Hud mods with Perma and Asis... nothing else...
I have tried completely different mod setups and always CTD randomly from loading screens to just walking up a path somewhere.
so why is Skyrim so stuck on trying to access memory it shouldn't? Each of these tests has been new saves and I have started the game so many times now it isn't even fun anymore.... to me this game is just unmoddable and unplayable :(