How do I properly edit chargenmorphcfg.xml?

nick7316

Hopefully I'm posting in the right place, this is my first post on the forums.

What I want to do is use 'More Hairstyles'(http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=392) and 'Pineappletree's Vibrant Colors'(http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=153) together.

But they collide and you can only use one or the other, except if you edit chargenmorphcfg.xml according to pineappletree's vibrant color description page

I have no experience with this. But I am willing to learn.

Could someone tell me how to edit chargenmorphcfg.xml and tell me what exactly I need to do to make them compatible?

Its kind of hard to imagine I'm the first person to want to do this so maybe it's already been done? That'd be really cool. Any help either way is appreciated.

Unless you're building and testing your own morphs, you probably want to stay away from editing the chargenmorphcfg file manually. Personally, I think Terra-Ex's utility is the best way to do it:

"CharGenMorph Compiler" on Nexus

One Note: The utility has an incorrect default path for the "daorigins.exe" program on Win7 systems. (The utility expects "\Bioware..." in the path name, but it isn't there.) Just edit the path manually during the install. :thumbsup:

I hope people are still looking here, because this issue with Windows 7 and Dragon Age Origins will be the death of me. I have all these greats mods in my override folder, but as you all know, they aren't compatible. So, I go to use this "CharGenMorph Compiler" that everyone talks about. And what do you know--The utility does have an incorrect default path for the "daorigins.exe" program on Win7. You say I should edit the path manually during the install. How exactly do I do this? My computer hates anything to do with this darn thing. I'm at a loss. I just want to do this manually and get it over with. Thank you!

I suggest you manually edit your chargenmorph.xml rather than using the compiler. The compiler does not know your morph files. It's only combine various chargenmorph.xml files.

You can open and edit chargenmorph.xml file with notepad or any text editor.

Before editing, make sure you know various file formats that are being referred by chargenmorph.xml

The most important format is the MOP files. It's preset file you use for character creation ingame. If you want to add new preset, you must have the MOP file itself or your game will crashed.

MOR format is used for savegame either to change your character face or companions or other NPCs. DDS format is for texture. TNT is tint format file.

Once you understand the use of this formats, the next step is to understand which section this formats are being referred to.

All MOP files should be located under <head> section. Else your MOP will not appear in the character creation. Each section contain subsection such <Human_Male>, <Human_Female> etc So make sure you know where to put your mop..... It doesn't matter how you name your MOP file as long as it's exist and correctly spelled. If you misspelled at this point, your game will crash. So be extra cautious when you deals with <head> section and MOP files.

The rest I think you can figure by yourself.

To use Pineapple and more hairstyle together, you need to know what files this 2 mods have.

Locate and open your pineapple folder.

Locate and open your morehairstyle folder.

Write down the names of all the files listed under your pineapple and morehairstyle folder.

Morehairstyles belong to hair group so you should add entries under <hair> section in your chargenmorph.xml. Add all morehairstyles file names here according to the format shown in your chargenmorph.xml

MMH format.

Pineapple deals with texture so it should be under <skin> subsection. Add all pineapple vibrant skin tone filenames here according to the format shown in your chargenmorph.xml

TNT and DDS format

Save and exit your notepad. You should be able to use both morehairsytle and pineapple vibrant tones in your character creation.

Edited by sacredtrojanblade

Have to disagree with STB on this one.

Terra_Ex's CharGenMorph Compiler is a FAR better way to get CC mods working together than trying to make all the edits manually. The "invalid path" message that SleepyChan received is easily fixed.

Open the Compiler, go to the "Path Configuration" tab (2nd one), select "Dragon Age Install Path", click the [ ... ] drop-down indicator on the far right of the default path listing, and browse to the CORRECT one. (For Win7/64-bit this is as shown below. For 32-bit, adjust to "Program Files" as appropriate.)

I've highlighted the Tab and the drop-down in this screenshot:

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/imageshare/images/1678793-1294969638.png

Thandal, locate any MOP reference listed inside your one of chargenmorph.xml files. Any chargenmorph.xml will do. Then find those MOP file and delete it. Then compile your chargenmorph.xml again. Start your game. Go to character creation and browse your preset. If you don't crash then compiler works. Else, it does not check what MOP/TNT/DDS/MMH files you actual have.

Thandal, locate any MOP reference listed inside your one of chargenmorph.xml files. Any chargenmorph.xml will do. Then find those MOP file and delete it. Then compile your chargenmorph.xml again. Start your game. Go to character creation and browse your preset. If you don't crash then compiler works. Else, it does not check what MOP/TNT/DDS/MMH files you actual have.

Actually the latest version of the program does offer that exact functionality, dubbed "scanning for bad references". It looks through all override directories and ERF files to see if it can locate a resource and allows the user to remove it from the chargenmorphcfg file if it isn't found.

Actually the latest version of the program does offer that exact functionality, dubbed "scanning for bad references". It looks through all override directories and ERF files to see if it can locate a resource and allows the user to remove it from the chargenmorphcfg file if it isn't found.

Wow cool. Thanks TerraEx. You make my life more easy now. Going to download it now.

Edited by sacredtrojanblade