I dunno if this has already been requested but I've never been able to find a mod that lets you eat some of the ingredients you harvest from certian plants, like berries off of bushes. I mean I know in the vanilla game you can eat ingredients to see their effects but I always wanted to be able to eat them for actual nourishment for mods like "Realistic Needs and Diseases".

It's something I really started to notice when I was playing a survival save and my charcter was starving so I noticed a Snowberry bush and picked Snowberries expecting to be able to eat them so I won't starve, but apparently eating berries doesn't count as actually eating them, just as some odd way of absorbing them to learn how you can make potions from them.

Like I said, I'm not sure if someone else has already asked or addressed this or if it would be next to impossible, but it's just a small detail that I think would be nice, having the option of scavanging food from plants and nature (besides fruit and vegitable plants of course).

Edited by IsabellaRegaldo

Most things you pick count as medicine, not an ingredient. You wouldn't turn to your medicine cabinet when you're hungry and gobble a bottle of aspirin would you? Some things can be eaten but need preparation to combat unwanted side effects (think of aloe vera irl, it's a medicinal plant that is also quite tasty to drink but if you juice it immediately after picking it'll also give you a nasty case of diarrhea but that effect can be avoided by picking the leaves a day in advance, sitting them upright in a jar and allowing that bit o' nasty to drain off).

That's probably a part of why you're not getting a chance to pick a quick meal in the woods, since these mods would have to try to straddle the line between what you can use in a pinch to heal and what you can actually eat.

Still I do seem to recall seeing a few mods that explained the eating options, though their names escape me, since everyone has their differing ideas on levels of realism/fun.

True, I wouldn't hopefully down a bottle of asprin to fill my stomach lol. I understand some of the ingredients are like you said, clearly only used for medicines or other craftables. Like bees. I don't expect to be able to fill my hunger in-game by downing 15 bees that I had in my pocket, or plants that can't really be eaten but can be used to make medicines, what I think would be nice is just something that let's you eat SOME of the ingredients that would normally sustain you if you were about to die of starvation, like if you're wandering the woods lost and hungry can't find a place to cook ingredients but your character can at least scavange berries or some mushrooms to keep them going. Although like you said there's lots of cooking mods that kinda cover this by allowing you to cook these things later but maybe I'm just being nit picky...lol

this is a great idea. Alot of ingrediants could double as food, like honeycomb, juniper berries, the various bird eggs, a few mushroom varieties, grasspods, skeevertails, all the small fishes, slaughterfish eggs (caviar?), mountain flowers, etc etc. Maybe you could take the twentyfive best ones, create duplicates in the ck, and attach a script so when you harvest them it asks you if you want food or ingredients.

this is a great idea. a lot of ingrediants could double as food, like honeycomb, juniper berries, the various bird eggs, a few mushroom varieties, grasspods, skeevertails, all the small fishes, slaughterfish eggs (caviar?), mountain flowers, etc etc. Maybe you could take the twentyfive best ones, create duplicates in the ck, and attach a script so when you harvest them it asks you if you want food or ingredients.

That's a thought. I wouldn't know how to go about doing that but it sounds like a good idea. But if Hunterborn really has the ability (as stated above by onekrone) then I might just go with using Hunterborn since it fits the whole theme and I already have it installed. I've never noticed being able to do that with hunterborn but I only just started messing around with it so I probably missed it.

• 2 years later...

I made a mod like that for personal use once. I made a plugin that used the Camfire mod as it's master, then I created recipes for the on-the-go crafting system included in Campfire. These recipes were used to convert various vanilla game ingredients into portions that worked as food. For example, I think that I had recipes for combining 3 red, blue or purple mountain flowers into an item called "Mountain Flower Bouquet". I then used the RND ability to asign nutrition to food items on these items.

However, the mod was something crude I threw together for personal use, it's probably not something that I'm going to upload, but maybe someone else feels like making use of the concept.