Dealing with "The family"

Umberstone

I always find myself killing them these days.

I mean, I have the drop on them and the game sorta just expects you to go up to them and talk to them, even though everything you've heard about them are bad things.

• 2 weeks later...

it seems to me that you haven't actually read the conversations at all

if you talk to Vance, he will tell you that he is making sure that his people will only drink for blood packs, and not drink people's blood

Why would you believe any of that or be so quick to forgive and forget considering why you were tracking them? The towns people wanted to fight the family before anyone died, yet magically all is forgiven and the town is okay with a cannibal living next door?

It doesn't fit at all with the character I'm playing, and to me, makes no sense. I tracked them down to force them to stay away from the town, not to bargain. And i wanted justice for the dead Wests, but ultimately it was like they never existed. The guy even compares humans to cattle. I can't hold that guy responsible for killing his parents or view him as a threat. I have to believe that there is such a thing as "natural" cannibalism. I have to forgive (and not even mention) the family for drinking blood from the dead Wests and for tormenting that town. I also have to believe they are not dangerous because they say so, even though all I know about them for a fact is their behavior in town and that they are cannibals.

The game codes the Family as neutral, as feeding to survive can NOT count as evil. Or do you honestly believe that the "big, bad wolf" is as bad as everyone says?

The proof, as they say, is in the pudding.

You take the 'Let's Make A Deal' option. Both Arefu and The Family readily accept this arrangement, and seem more than happy with it. As distinct from certain other "peace deals" we know about, it isn't like you check back later to find one side has suddenly wiped out the other.

Unless, of course, one creates a mod that alters the possible outcomes.

Edited by 7thsealord

You take the 'Let's Make A Deal' option. Both Arefu and The Family readily accept this arrangement, and seem more than happy with it. As distinct from certain other "peace deals" we know about, it isn't like you check back later to find one side has suddenly wiped out the other.

About that, I never got the Deal option. What's the option chain to it?

All here - http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Ties

The 'Let's Make A Deal Option' is the most diplomatic solution to this quest. Doesn't actually appear under that name anywhere, it is just what I call it.

Basically, after you talk to Ian West and he makes his decision, you will have to talk to Vance again. Be polite, and be sure to talk about the Arefu situation first (you will get to Ian West later, so don't worry). There will be Speech, Medicine and/or Intelligence options for giving Vance the idea that there are "alternatives" for The Family (ie. the use of Blood Packs as sustenance).

Vance will be very open to the idea, but will point out that it is hard to find those items. Broach the idea that Arefu could help out by scavenging for those Blood Packs. Various options here - Arefu provides Blood Packs and gets left alone, or Arefu provides Blood Packs and The Family helps defend them. I chose that last as it seems more .... satisfying, and beneficial for both groups. Vance will give you a Note to pass to Evan King on the matter. Then you guys can talk about Ian.

I accept that some people don't like this quest's whole dynamic, and/or just want to wipe out The Family (and/or Arefu?). But personally I find it very satisfying exactly as is. Then again, maybe that's because I'm a nice guy at heart/ ;)

Edited by 7thsealord

All here - http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Ties

The 'Let's Make A Deal Option' is the most diplomatic solution to this quest. Doesn't actually appear under that name anywhere, it is just what I call it.

Basically, after you talk to Ian West and he makes his decision, you will have to talk to Vance again. Be polite, and be sure to talk about the Arefu situation first (you will get to Ian West later, so don't worry). There will be Speech, Medicine and/or Intelligence options for giving Vance the idea that there are "alternatives" for The Family (ie. the use of Blood Packs as sustenance).

Vance will be very open to the idea, but will point out that it is hard to find those items. Broach the idea that Arefu could help out by scavenging for those Blood Packs. Various options here - Arefu provides Blood Packs and gets left alone, or Arefu provides Blood Packs and The Family helps defend them. I chose that last as it seems more .... satisfying, and beneficial for both groups. Vance will give you a Note to pass to Evan King on the matter. Then you guys can talk about Ian.

I accept that some people don't like this quest's whole dynamic, and/or just want to wipe out The Family (and/or Arefu?). But personally I find it very satisfying exactly as is. Then again, maybe that's because I'm a nice guy at heart/ ;)

Oh, I think it was because I directly talked about Ian instead of asking about Arefu first. My character is also nice and polite, so it couldn't have been the general mood of the conversation, but rather the specifics. Thank you for specifying.

it seems to me that you haven't actually read the conversations at all

if you talk to Vance, he will tell you that he is making sure that his people will only drink for blood packs, and not drink people's blood

Why would you believe any of that or be so quick to forgive and forget considering why you were tracking them? The towns people wanted to fight the family before anyone died, yet magically all is forgiven and the town is okay with a cannibal living next door?

It doesn't fit at all with the character I'm playing, and to me, makes no sense. I tracked them down to force them to stay away from the town, not to bargain. And i wanted justice for the dead Wests, but ultimately it was like they never existed. The guy even compares humans to cattle. I can't hold that guy responsible for killing his parents or view him as a threat. I have to believe that there is such a thing as "natural" cannibalism. I have to forgive (and not even mention) the family for drinking blood from the dead Wests and for tormenting that town. I also have to believe they are not dangerous because they say so, even though all I know about them for a fact is their behavior in town and that they are cannibals.

not to mention the fact that if OYU, the player, practice cannibalism, even if you are eating raiders who attacked you to keep from dying of starvation, you still lose karma.

and, they say "we dont want to kill the defenseless" or something like that, but thats bulls***, they were besieging the town, goading the people to come out and fight them 20 guys with guns against 1 with their fists.

• 8 months later...

I allowed my distaste for the gatekeeper to cloud my judgment I'm afraid, so when Vance refused to allow me to see Ian I offered a face full of buckshot as an incentive... we came to an agreement that the family would lay still and I'd deliver the letter like I told Lucy I would, the thing is when Ian said he'd go back and stay I returned to Arefu with the 'good' news to be greeted buy a hail of bullets instead of a ticker tape parade.... well there's not much point in him goin back now, 'well there is Brailee Ewers (I stole her) but she's hangin at my place as she's nutty but nice' and Lucy won't draw the quest to a close as the game claims I "FAILED" the quest. :wallbash:

So the final assessment from me on this quest is.... Beth you could try harder and remember to finish your work.