Shipping Incorporated

Rousky

Shipping Incorporated.

Salutations adventurers!

I just want to say thank you, should you decided take your time in reading this.

In the event that someone has already posted this, I do apologize in advance for "double posting" I have looked and looked, but found no topic such as this, or similar idea. So if I missed it, I am very sorry, and that I am not trying to spam.

I have decided to go forth and post an idea about this mod.

I have been searching for a mod like this for awhile, however, I don’t seem to see the idea being executed.

So I will now explain as to what I am trying to get at.

The idea should be simple; in fact, it is best to note that this idea has already happened, more or less.

It was made as a quest in a mod called Castle Volkihar Redux. The quest name was “Port Of Call”

To which it allowed you to rebuild your own ship port, so you can then ship your goods out.

At the end of the month, you got to collect your income from what you have sold through a merchant that served you.

THE IDEA

This idea is similar; I am actually surprised that no one has done it. What I would like to happen, is not a complicated mod, yet complex to make.

The player gets to build his/her own Shipping Company by buying or opining up his/her own port and generates income.

Well that was simple!

However, it is the execution part, that I would like to express. The idea is that the player receives a letter, informing him/her, that they have “inherited” a broken port, to which they will have to rebuild or Fix. It does not have to be inherited; the person who is doing this mod can be creative.

After you get the letter, you also should receive some gold, let us say 100,000(I know this is a bit much, the modder can modify this) the player then, goes and investigates the port.

Once the player is there, they can then hire some NPC’s to fix it up, much like you fix your house, or upgrade it, whatever one. From then, you interact with merchants, I will now explain below.

I would also like this to be lore friendly, so there should be a deed that you have to buy from the Jarl, which states you are allowed to open up the port.

PORT BANKER

Though I did say “NPC’s” I honestly think this should be handled by one NPC. We can call this NPC “Port Banker” Or something like that. This NPC should handle everything like: MONEY, DEEDS, and LETTERS FROM MERCHANTS who wish to use your services. There also should be deductions of the upkeep of 50gp every 3 weeks. (Almost like a personal accountant or financial adviser, or IRS)

For convenience, I can understand this being tedious. So instead of traveling to the port every time you want money, it would be great to have a courier delivering the gold with a statement, indicating the players Income/deductions. We can also set up a ledger that the player can use to see his/her affairs.

SHIPS! SHIP! SHIPS!

A port is not without its ships!

Once you have things situated and the port is done, you can then begin a runaround of finding people to build your ship/ships. Or use the Port Banker (Again, all up to how the modder wants it done).

After you have the ships or ship, you can then higher crew, or the ship payment can come with the crew, does not matter, whatever is easier. (Best to have just the ship come with the crew)

Now that this is done, the player then can start his shipping schedule. To do this, we will need an NPC, a personal courier (Maybe, Port Banker) who will let you know if someone wants your services and the items that need to be shipped, from Iron, Potions, Armor, Skeever, and so forth. Once that is set, you can then go up to the ship captain and give him your orders, (merchants request) which he should just take the letter from you, like most NPC's when doing quests, and the ship departs.

FOR SPAR-PLAYER!

Of cores this can be used for the player, should the player fancy him/herself an Alchemist or Smith, whether making quality Potions, or Swords, their goods can be shipped to whatever the major city they want to do business with, obviously free of charge. (Trade and Barter should work really well with this on the economics)

That is said, the player will have to hire a merchant to sell the goods, (or you can go yourself) and then the player pays, or offers the merchant a rate that the player is willing to pay the merchant to sell the goods. Or the merchant can offer a rate and the player can counter it, to come to a conclusion.

To make it plain, you should be able to sell your goods as well as other NPC’s. (Every one likes choices)

INCOME

So how do you make money? Should be simple, you charge the shipping rate; this is a shipping company not a charity program. So charge them a percentage on their goods.

Example:

The merchant wants 10,000 crate shipped from your port to Markarth. You charge him 3% of whatever he gets for the goods. Let us pretend that the merchant obtained 60,000gp for his 10,000 crates.

3% of 60,000gp should be 1800gp. That is what you would get, should you want to charge him that.

Whatever the player wants to set it up to be, I know that does not sound like a lot of gold, but we can set it up so that you have a contract, the merchant uses your company for a year, or three month. I will explain later how this can be handled and why should there be a time stamp. Even better, you can choose when to end the contract.

Should the player be greedy and set the percentage at 50% the merchant can simply not do the business with you, or however the modder wants to handle it. I am not an economist; I don’t know how I would set up the details. That is not to say you can’t have a high percentage, it should all depend on your speech level.

Millions? Nope, I want BILLIONS!

Indeed, you are here to build an economic empire, one port should never be enough.

Once the player starts generating some income and feels like he/she can do more, they can then go and expand their shipping empire, by opening up more ports from other major cities. The process is the same, go to Jarl, buy the deed, and then go and pay someone to build your port and so forth.

Each city will have a broken or unused port. Perhaps some of the other port owners are not doing so well and are willing to sell you their deeds to already running port? (Whatever the modder wants to do)

CHALLENGES

(After a while you will get bored, owning so much money and no one to stop you)

So now you feel like the richest Dragonborn in Skyrim, and, you feel like you can buy a third port, you show up at another big opportunity, but alas! What is this?

You are informed that there is another port built here by “EAST EMPIRE TRADING COMPANY” Looks like you have some competition!

That would be correct; This mod, would be great if this has at least one other faction competing with you, or 3 or 4, like the Nords, Imperials, Black-Briar, Gray- Mane, Or the Battle-Born folk, and even the Vampires (depending if you have the DLC or not)

The way I want to go about this, is that the Port Banker has a map in his Bank. You can then take a look at the map and see how much influence you have over the shipping. Perhaps you can ask the local merchants (Like the stall merchants) to see what the competition is charging them for shipping in goods, and at what rate. Then you can adjust the rate depending on what the other 4 are charging.

The whole point of the time stamp that I have talk about earlier, is that the merchant can leave you and go for the other faction should the other faction be charging less. Though I guess it does not matter, since they could just leave you.

Let us say that you are doing really well against the other factions, what would you do if you are not doing so well? I think I would look at my other options, outside the box, like paying someone to end your life? (I am sure you can think up of who that would be) the point is, the better you do the more risk there is; some might hire thugs after you, or perhaps assassins? Perhaps blackmail you and you will have to clear your name with the guards which costs you influence points. Whatever it is, there will be and should be a challenge. Nothing personal just business

(It is a cutthroat business, sometimes you just have to do everything you can, to stay alive!)

Of course you can do the same thing to them.

Not doing well? See if you can blackmail them for wanted! Or, if you have the connections with the assassins…I am sure you don’t need me to continue.

Perhaps you want no blood but just to scare them.

Get the thieves guild opinion? This way it will drop their influence, and raise yours.

You will be creative, I am sure.

Another way I can see you managing your influence is by charging lower, or perhaps once in a while letting them have the shipping for free? To be honest, I have not thought out that much.

Conclusion

Anyway, I know that some of you are thinking that I should have done this myself, but the problem is with the CK, I never got it to work. Not sure why, but it deleted some of my saves sometimes, or just never started. Point is it was a pain to try to get it working.

Even if I did have the CK up, I just do not have the time to do this mod, however, I can come on and say a few things as well as providing suggestions, should someone want to do this that is.

Just give me the credit for the idea, though I am not sure if the idea is original. However, on how to go about it, I would like the credit, or don't, just out of respect.

I would like to ask of you to pardon my grammar and spelling, should you see any.

I am not really well versed with English, being that I am Russian.

Again, thank you for taking your time on reading this, and I hope that someone is interested enough to at least start it.

Sincerely,

Postnikov.

Edited by Rousky

• 1 year later...