Why people love followers

Darkfoot

What is it about followers and follower mods that people are so obsessed with. Why are there so many request for follower mods? What makes followers so special?

As may already tell I don't really play Skyrim with a follower, in fact I do not play Skyrim with a follower. I venture by myself because as Dragonborn, I'm more than capable of slaying dragons or what not by myself.

Perhaps after hearing what you all may have to say, I can begin to love followers as much as you all do. :smile:

Note: when I say "you all", of course I mean in generality

followers are ridiculously easy to make, which makes them great for people just starting to mod. on top of that people are always asking for followers to be made for them so modders create and release them publicly. also lots of people ask for the models people use for their mods as well...

So it's even more a shame that most of these redundant follower mods get way more endorsements than quest mods that took years of creating!EH

eh, whatever the masses want i guess... i dont even use followers. waste of pluggin space.

Besides the above list - agree with all, Boombro - I like the way they help make the game world feel more populated and alive. Walking around a player house, or inn, and seeing your crew interacting with NPC and the environment makes for a more immersive experience. Love being on the road and listening to Inigo or Vilja bantering with each other or Lydia. Even mining for ore becomes more fun when Inigo comments on how I am really giving it to that rock!

On a practical note, turning up the combat difficulty, be it with dragons, bandits, or civil war foes, makes having a team a lot more interesting. Taking a fort packed with a dozen or more mixed enemies feels more epic, and it is fun watching them use equipment I have created and tactics that I can tweak.

Seems to work for me in Skyrim, where you always seem to bump into something or someone soon enough. Morrowind was special because i enjoyed the sort of lonely atmospherics and solo discovery.

The best part is, I can always leave them at home and venture forth whenever I wish, so I can get the best of both worlds.

followers are ridiculously easy to make, which makes them great for people just starting to mod. on top of that people are always asking for followers to be made for them so modders create and release them publicly. also lots of people ask for the models people use for their mods as well...

Correction: Basic followers are easy to make. Scripted, fully voiced followers take a long time to make especially if they have quests and other unique features. I am capable of doing all different kinds of mods but it seems people lacked any kind of interest and they just weren't as fun to do because there was no working as a team and the community aspect was totally not there at all. Those who support follower mods get very involved and like to talk about their experiences with a follower. I just like the background noise they provide.

djjohnjarvis - your follower is exactly what I am talking about. The awkward and suggestive conversations and somewhat unpredictable behavior are precisely what makes your mod interesting - and not at all redundant - to play with. About to meet her for my second playthrough.

Great job, sir, and since you and your fellow top follower mod authors continue to add to and support the characters for fans, it is possible to see the results evolve from one playthrough to another.

:thumbsup:

making followers is easy. making high quality followers is not. just like enchantments are easy to make but a mod like Wyntermist takes dedication and work.

I feel the OP because I don't use followers unless I have to. That is because, predominantly, I play sneaky types, or people who do splash damage of sorts meaning that followers only get in the way.

people like them though and that's fine with me. just like a lot of people seem to like playing little girl type characters with skimpy clothes.

there is a forum somewhere on here titled, Followers walk beside player, or something like that, which I can say is something that would make me use followers more. It pretty much does what is says, makes the follower walk beside the player, instead of tailing behind. Such a small change with such a big impact.

I believe its still a work in progress though, not available for download yet.