For those of you with modding ambitions:

Peregrine

Nice suggestion :)

Really, 80% of this months new topic has been some lame want-to-learn-modding-but-doesn't-bother-reading-the-wiki-every-once-in-a-while-ish guy wanting help.

Oh-- about the 14 year olds... Does it apply to 13 year olds as well? :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about what would be a neat mod, or "that's an annoying feature". I didn't even know people were out there that actually would help you make a mod. I thought everyone actually did learn pretty much what they needed themselves, or borrowed art that someone had already made.

Very informative post, thank you. :)

*goes to write a quest idea*

But what if we don't get the Wiki for a program? We still suck horribly (or maybe just me?). Oh, well, I guess I can live without my idea.

I don't speak to Nazis :)

You can either

a) Get better at english. (MUDs are a good way to go. Click here. - I learned most of my english at LOFE. Click *here* to give it a try.)

b) Trial-And-Error learning is always (though time-consuming) a good way to learn...

4) Use correct English: I know it's not everyone's main language, and everyone makes mistakes, but there's just no excuse besides laziness for stuff like "u" and 1337ish. If you don't take your project seriously enough to do this, why should anyone else?

Expanding on this: for long posts, use a spell checker, and if it's important enough (statements of intent, team recruitment, etc.) and you don't feel confident of your own ability, find someone with a good comprehension of grammar.

Yes, this is surely most common sence. But I think there a thing that you lacks in this thread: encuraging the new modders. What this thread basicly say is that, if your new to modding, you bether not even try. I think the best way to learn, is to break your nose on the gound. And you prove that point by saying your self that you've learned what you say in this thread by failling in your mod project.

I think you wrote this because many new modders ask for help, and, when they have some, they dont know what to do with it. Wich brigns the people who helped them to loose there time.

What you should ask to the new modders, instead of telling them to not even think about modding, to say that they are new to modding when they ask for help. From that point, it is your choise to help him or not, knowing he wont be to good at the begining.

There are some realy, realy good advices in this thread, but you should make it a litle more friendly and encuraging. More like a guide then a warning.

And sorry for my bad english :)

Yes, this is surely most common sence. But I think there a thing that you lacks in this thread: encuraging the new modders. What this thread basicly say is that, if your new to modding, you bether not even try. I think the best way to learn, is to break your nose on the gound. And you prove that point by saying your self that you've learned what you say in this thread by failling in your mod project.

You're missing the point entirely. In fact, I'm saying the exact opposite. New modders should try, they should get the CS and other tools, study the countless tutorials available, and learn how to do it. The only thing they shouldn't aim for right away is a large-scale mod. Start small, and work your way up.

As for my own failure, that was mostly due to real-world issues from several people involved. It's only really relevant to that last part about "be prepared for real life to screw you". The other points are just common sense or things I've observed, not things I've done myself.

I think you wrote this because many new modders ask for help, and, when they have some, they dont know what to do with it. Wich brigns the people who helped them to loose there time.

The problem isn't new modders asking for help. It's that far too often "help" really means "I'll think of cool ideas, while you do all the real work for me." If it was all threads asking for how-to advice that isn't covered by the tutorials, it would be different. But instead of "which pivot point alignment in 3dsmax should I use for a spear?", it's always "plz make this model".

There are some realy, realy good advices in this thread, but you should make it a litle more friendly and encuraging. More like a guide then a warning.

The title is Bird From Hell, not Bird From Heaven. And a warning is exactly what those rules are, anyone ignoring them is doomed to failure.

• 4 months later...
"Expanding on this: for long posts, use a spell checker, and if it's important enough (statements of intent, team recruitment, etc.) and you don't feel confident of your own ability, find someone with a good comprehension of grammar"

I am more than willing to help... if anyone wants it. 8)

I get straight A's in grammer... only thing, lol

Hope this doesn't count as topic necromancy; I was adding something useful :ph34r:

• 1 month later...
As i'd just started modding i was happy to find this tread. Although already thinking that way it wass nice to see someone actually confirming what to be carefull about. This was VERY usefull for my, and no i did'nt feelt like my project was impossible just because, i was told not too get ambisius. Actually i was more eager than ever and felt more confident in doing it right after reading this, so thx very much. (Sry for the bad languish)

• 3 months later...