For those of you with modding ambitions:

Peregrine

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My kind of a total conversion is just changing nearly every single piece of game material, adding stuff, and customizing things to my heart's content.

And I can do this by picking and choosing mods I like! Yay for MMM, Deadly Reflex, that guy who makes Ruined Tail's Tale et cetera, people who make texture packs I vainly try to run and crash my pathetic computer, people who release easy-to-make things that I can reproduce without another .ESP file, just... Pat everyone on the back.

That's how you do a total conversion, if you're a lazy man like me. :closedeyes:

Anywho, this is a really useful resource for reminding people why not to get overconfident (For me, why never to release anything I make because it all sucks and doesn't do what I wanted).

Final note: Please, make some meshes and textures and we'll get back to you on fixing whatever you hate about Oblivion, how's that sound? Heck, you might be able to get weapon-hitchances and such by creating chance of doing 0% of the damage to an enemy depending on your skill with the blade. With OBSE or something. I mean, I couldn't, but we've got decapitations for christ's sake, you'd think we could make non-damaging strikes, right? Again, this wouldn't be me doing this, my CS (Construction set, not counter-strike) skills are insufficient, but you never know.

Now, me, I'd not download that 'cause I like always hitting things I swing at, but I did up the damage for the advanced strikes you get as you progress in level, and the chances for disarming and knockback to make leveling in weapons more efficient (that's the limit of what I can do, although I vaguely know how to do a bit more).

What else, now that I'm on a roll...? I have am to enjoy to the correctness of usings with the grammarages too also. The status of existancing rightness within regardance to an English's talks also of write is can be to very goodly.

Wow, that was painful to write.

Here's an important tip for modders (from experience, here): Make sure your mod isn't dependent on other mods to function properly without telling people; it makes funny things happen. Like invisible bodies and the "/I HAVE NO GREETING greeting". Or something.

Also, anyone who doesn't make their awesome mod's most important patch also the one to require Shivering Isles is my new best friend. Because I took one look at SI and thought, "Yeah, I'm never going to be able to run this... Hope someone grabs those kick animations for hand-to-hand for everyone else, though :)"

Oh yeah, kick in oblivion! Replace the backwards strike with that kick animation and up the knockback chance to 100%. There; kick in Oblivion. Now if only I knew how to replace animations correctly...

Hmm, to not be guilty of asking everyone else to do the work here, if I've actually got a point to any of those ideas, don't credit me if you create them. Seriously, bad idea. I even lost my copy of Oblivion recently so there's no way I could test any of them. Or Deadly Reflex 3.0, for that matter, which kinda sucks.

Final words: If you think this post was horribly off-topic and pointless, you're right. But at least it's all in one post, instead of spread around the rest of the forums, right?

Please?

EDIT: Woah, long post.

• 4 weeks later...

Whenever I look for new mods, I end up crying myself to sleep because of all of the below-average, duplicate, cheap, and useless mods taking up too much space. Then I weep through breakfast thinkng about all of those gigantic mods that sank because of too much ambition and too little talent.

Good advice, Peregrine. Unless you have a lot of money and/or talent, it could sound a bit pessimistic. Mabye it is, but if you plan for the worst, all of your suprises are nice ones.

;) So get your hopes down and work your fingers raw. Expect nothing from anyone else, give into despair, discredit your own talents, and you'll come out fine.

Your advice should extend beyond those with ambitions, everyone who has had even the smallest thought of modding should have that first post tatooed to the backs of their hands so they won't forget it.

Modding noobs: it’s hard stuff, learn it and you can make stuff like “Ruined Tail” or the OOO. It’s a long road, the difficulties have been explained, but it’s worth it.

• 3 months later...

im wondering what the scripting is for locks

like is it if lock =< 50 blahblahblah will it work?

im making a mod that has a open spell that makes the door open on its own too, but this will make all locks including needs key ones to open.

also for a diffrent mod whats the command for when a item if picked up or is in inventory?

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's just my opinion but....

I don't really agree with this list pined here....

It's just a matter of hard work & imagination to finish what you had in mind to create.

I do agree though with that part where the authour says about the "mod-team"......

That's why I prefer to work alone .... LoL

... even if that means that I'm going to need the double time to finish a project.

It's all true. You were just sensible enough to follow those rules that apply to your mod without thinking about it- most of them are just common sense really. You'd be amazed how stupid some people can be though.

true.... I usually set limits too.

But.... you can always learn something new in the mid time...

For example I've learned a lot of new things while I was creating my GTA ep 1....

as a resault , I work much faster now even with more complex things like worldbuilding.

So.... In my opinion...

it's just a matter of devotion and hard work....

Devotion and hard work is vey important, of course, but it won't get you anywhere if you don't follow those rules. I could spend all my spare time working on a mod I'm absolutely devoted to, but if it's too big for me, I'm not going to get it done.

True number 2..... But

I would say then that it's a list of "suggestions" and not "rules"....

( I believe that with CS and everything inclouded and a good modeler I would be able to create a world as large as shivering Isles inclouding questlines in less than a year and that's definatelly against these rules.... )