For those of you with modding ambitions:

Peregrine

Yeah all you new modders, even if you don't know how to do it yet, you will improve while making your mods. :thumbsup:

I have a little skill with scripts, no idea how Blender/Nifskope programs work but have used CS alot. I like to ask you if any of you can help make some meshes and textures for my new mod: FS-Adventure Begins.

Mod Description-

Adds 2 new worlds, a floating city over the ocean and The Island Of Timaras forgotten many years ago. The story is about an evil taking over many different worlds, you must help the Rebellion fight back if Tamerial is meant to survive. This is going to be the first chapter of the series of FS quests. Depending on how much help I can get depends on the quests there will be.

So please if anyone is skilled at making custom or edited armour and weapons or have any good ideas for quests please help me make my mod. :thanks:

You might want to re-read the thread.

7) Use the talents you have. This ties into not getting too ambitious... take a look at the people you have and their talents, and give yourself a sanity check. Can you actually do all these things you're dreaming of? It's very easy to say "I'll have X new models". But do you have someone with the right software and skills to make them? And make them well? Don't count on the miracle of someone showing up to join your team, odds are we won't.

While many large projects will have some minor meshing needs, most of these can be satisfied by either using existing meshes/textures creatively, or utilizing the large list of modders resources. Asking someone to spend the time and effort to create models and textures for a project that hasn't really started is often seen as being rude or inconsiderate towards those who might be willing to do it. Most large projects don't go anywhere, and most don't like to see their work go to waste. Show that you know what you are doing, are able to complete significant portions of the project, and be concise as to what specifically you need, and you're more likely to have someone show interest.

Meshes can always be done later and changed out. The worldspaces, interiors, quests, NPCs however kinda need to be done from the start in order to even have a mod.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an awesome thread. I wish more people who were requesting mods and starting new projects would read it.

I think there would be more good mods to play if people would look at what talents they have and make mods they know how to. For instance, a dungeon maker might be able to crank out a cool dungeon mod in two weeks. Stick this dungeon maker in a position where he is trying to learn Blender and model new armor, and you might have a piece of garbage alpha that is not playable after two months of hard modding. Now if that dungeon maker wants to be a modeler and is enjoying himself, that is great, but he shouldn't whine about never actually completing and uploading any mods. If he wants that, he should go back to making dungeon mods.

It is a bitter pill to swallow, but perhaps more people should design their mods around what they and the Oblivion software can do rather than dreaming up a cool book or movie plot and then trying to force Oblivion to do the things they dreamed of.

It is a bitter pill to swallow, but perhaps more people should design their mods around what they and the Oblivion software can do rather than dreaming up a cool book or movie plot and then trying to force Oblivion to do the things they dreamed of.

Yes, this was my position for awhile, but it was often responded to by proclamations of "nothing is impossible" and "OBSE can do anything". The problem with taking such a realistic approach is that it tends to stomp all over any interest people might have with pushing the limits of what can be done. Instead I've been more inclined to talk about how practical or impractical certain things are, rather than something rigid like possibility or impossibility. Many things which are possible are just not practical to make, or implement on any significant scale.

The reality is that most of the problems with a large mod are not in making new and interesting systems or models, but instead in the more mundane things such as cluttering interiors and exteriors to look right. Everyone wants to do the interesting stuff, but nobody wants to do the stuff that makes up 90% of the mod and is seen everywhere. Making 15-20 interiors for a city, even sparsely cluttered can really suck the life out of a project. It is however a very necessary evil.

Edited by Vagrant0

There have been some absolutely amazing innovations. I am just astounded by Midas Spells of Aurum, and I hear that some of the combat system mods are just astonishing. There are some very talented people doing what would have appeared to be impossible.

But I am left with the impression that the geniuses who do these things are doers rather than talkers. They probably sit down alone and make their mods without much support or interference from a very large team.

People are free to make whatever kinds of mods they want to and I really enjoy their fine products, but from a production standpoint, it is more efficient to do that which you are good at and already know how to do.

The posts that crack me up are sort of like this:

I am new to Oblivion and am gathering a modding team to make a really cool mod. I am going to change the combat system, have a new magic system, redo alchemy, change the economic system, and have lots and lots of samurai ninja warlord assassin mages living in pagodas.

I will change all of the armor and weapons, and introduce primitive firearms and throwing stars.

I am looking for scripters, modelers, texturers, quest-writers, dialog-writers, object-placers, cooks, and janitors.

Send me a personal message containing your resume and character references.