Need help for my paper ! I'm studying the advantages of video games SDK

rom57

Hi everybody !

I'm currently working on my paper. I try to demonstrate that the modding community can bring a lot to the video game industry. My aim is to determine how mods are seen by gamers and to show the advantages that video games' SDK can bring to both players and game developers.

That's why I would like to ask several questions to modders and players.

It's very important to me and I need your help in order to get my degree.

I have a survey to administer and if you could give me a hand, that would be really awesome !

Don't hesitate to share it :smile:

Here is the link : http://goo.gl/forms/VW62mJxB8Q

Thanks guys, you're awesome ! :D

Postscript : Sorry if I'm not in the good section of the forum, I didn't really know where to put it...

That's because I wasn't able to administrate enough qualitative questionnaires in order to get relevant findings.

Asking open questions to people wasn't the most efficient way to sustain my hypothesis.

I really need a global opinion :)

And actually, even if I have not a lot of answers for now, a lot of interesting trends are emerging.
That's really interesting because my hypotheses are almost all validated by the results of the survey :)

Furthermore, according to my academic supervisor, my best option was to use multiple choice questionnaires.

And because he is the one that will evaluate my paper, I do not question his authority ^^

But I agree with you, a lot of internet surveys are completely useless because people just answer anything and try to complete the questionnaire as fast as possible. But I don't believe than the modding community will act this way

Anyway, thanks again to everybody who helps!

• 1 month later...

Well, since I'm a player/mod-user and not a mod creator. your survey had questions I was unable to answer. You should adjust your answers to allow "players" to give true answers or modify your post to reflect that you are only looking for mod creators to answer your survey. I apologize if I misunderstood something and open to correction.

My first question would be why you're focusing only on the advantages of a company releasing a SDK? For all assumed advantages, there are a number of disadvantages related as to why the number of games or engines with a complete SDK are quite rare. Even when you exclude licensing or budget as reasons for not releasing a SDK, there are other reasons like sales model or even mods just not being "right" for that game. In truth, added value to a game is seen as a detriment to some franchises simply because they don't want people buying old versions of a game when they are releasing a new game within the franchise every few years, or where a large portion of their projected profits is from official DLC. Mods also add in an unpredictability factor that can make some devs nervous about the sorts of things that people might change about their product, particularly where online play is a component. Then there is the component related to modders essentially being able to look at how the game was made, in some cases ripping open game scripting or code to be able to make a given change, exposing hidden components, mistakes, or unfinished features. On the other side of the equation are those cases where the SDK is overly barebones either by nature of having to remove those components that were related to non-transferable licenses, or because it was never intended for use outside the development office. In these cases, documentation or tutorials are rarely much help since what the public can do with the SDK ends up very limited. Meanwhile time and resources were spent preparing the SDK and documentation. Not trying to make everything negative, but more touching on those reasons why releasing a SDK might not make sense for a developer.

Second question would be what sort of direction you are approaching this from. Are you approaching this from the standpoint of why a developer would consider releasing a SDK, or are you approaching it from the gamer/modder's perspective?

• 5 years later...

And it seems the replies that prompted ME to reply, are now gone...... Making ME look like the guilty party. :D It's a CONSPIRACY!!!!!!

No no ... look on the bright side Hey.

If you had quoted their post it would now be enshrined in perpetuity (well at least until you edited the quote yourself).

Give yourself an atta boy for takin' one for the team!! It does smell considerably less spammy, don't you think??

And it seems the replies that prompted ME to reply, are now gone...... Making ME look like the guilty party. :D It's a CONSPIRACY!!!!!!

No no ... look on the bright side Hey.

If you had quoted their post it would now be enshrined in perpetuity (well at least until you edited the quote yourself).

Give yourself an atta boy for takin' one for the team!! It does smell considerably less spammy, don't you think??

Ok, I'll go with that. :D