f03 vs NV

ghostfc3s

I've noticed a lot of people like NV or F3 more for various technical, gameplay, and story reasons. I like NV more for nostalgia reasons. It's more of a true sequel to Fallouts 1 and 2. Seriously, this should have been 'Fallout 3', Fallout 3 should have been 'Fallout DC' or some crap like that. It actually relates to the original two games, it feels like a sequel rather than a reboot. The factions are more like they used to be, and it doesn't rely on the BoS to carry the game. Whatever, I think you guys understand what I mean.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the new features added to NV.

But I liked the entire DC look and feel better, I mean in a post nuclear war DC seems like a good place to play in.

In NV its already desert, it doesn't really seem that nuked, it just seems like a bad ass sand storm hit and wiped stuff out...

Hopefully someone gets what I am saying, I am not done with NV but so far I am liking it about the same as FO3

However, it is true that during 3 to 10 years of nuclear winter, all living things, except those at the bottom of the ocean (there are living organisms and fishes at the bottom of the Mariana trench) would die - no food, no photosynthesis = no happy or not so happy post war future. In fact, no future at all.

actually even the animals at the ocean bottom as far down as the Mariana trench would die because their entire ecosystem relies on "material" drifting down as a base food supply.. and all that would either be irradiated or it would just stop.. they may last longer than surface species but not by much

Assuming nuclear winter is even really possible. The Chicxulub Impact that killed the dinosaurs was on the order of 100,000,000 megatons, much much more than all the nuclear bombs ever made in the history of mankind.

eh that estimate has changed so many times it's not even funny.. also you have to remember that was a single impact and the nuclear war we are talking about would be hundreds of spread out explosions.. surface space is the key element here.. it requires much less energy to get the same effect when your using multiple spread out explosions than a single one.. it's the same concept behind carpet bombing.. and please don't site wikipedia.. it's not a good source .. for the simple reason that if right now I was petty enough I could go change the page you cited to support me instead of you... citing Wikipedia is about the same as saying "my friend told me" .. I'm not telling you your information is wrong, mind you. Just that your cited source isn't reliable

and just to put it out there.. nuclear winter as a theory is actually more widely accepted than the theory that the Chicxulub Impact killed the dinosaurs..

I liked the new features added to NV.

But I liked the entire DC look and feel better, I mean in a post nuclear war DC seems like a good place to play in.

In NV its already desert, it doesn't really seem that nuked, it just seems like a bad ass sand storm hit and wiped stuff out...

Hopefully someone gets what I am saying, I am not done with NV but so far I am liking it about the same as FO3

New Vegas is just giving you a new place to play in. Imagine if New Vegas was just New DC- once again set in DC but with a different storyline. That wouldn't be fun. I agree with you on the look and feel of DC, it was an awesome setting and it always creeped me out a little bit. I thinik it was awesome. But New Vegas is also awesome because it's a different side to the story. It's not a city that got arse-kicked by bombs. I like how it shows civilisation struggling not because it got blown up, but because practically everyone else got blown up. It doesn't have that awesomely creepy look to it, but it's still interesting because it's sort of showing the side effects of nuclear war. I think it's pretty neat.

Radiation vs. the Forces of Nature? I'd believe whatever damage people do to the planet to rid our existence on it, would be but a blip in the big scheme of things.

I concur in some some ways.. even if we put the whole planet into nuclear winter and did manage to kill off pretty much everything some life (even if just microscopic bacteria) will survive and evolve until eventually it would cover the earth again.. it's not like it would be the first mass extinction level event that has ever happened.. I dunno bout calling it Radiation vs. the Forces of Nature because radiation is not something we made it is a natural force.. the Sun puts off radiation and pretty much everything on earth, including people, are radiated already to some degree, granted we did manage to make some new elements that do more so than natural ones (if we really even "invented them, no one knows they may exist naturally but just not around here) ... tho that's just for now.. someday we will figure out how to completely kill a planet, of this i'm sure, and even then given the grand scope of the universe even if we blew this whole planet into dust it would still be as you said "but a blip in the grand scheme"

Just discovered this thread :rolleyes:

After playing 3 rounds of FNV with lots of problems (savegame corruption and after patch periodically freezes and/or CTDs), being through 3 different endings and discovered all possible locations (Exploreer perk 8) ) I've started to miss the same kind of immersion and feeling of endless-challenges as I felt when playing FO3. So...... I've uninstalled FNV and reinstalled FO3.

Took me almost a day to get all the essential utilities and mods downloaded, installed (FOMM) and working but now it's just brilliant and I'm enjoying it so much (not only because I miss the freezes/CTDs :P ). The game is very stable and all the essential mods are now so bug-free and game-enhancing ...well. I guess you got the drift.

Mabe in 2 years (or so) I'll try FNV again.

Cheers Euclid