.BSA and .ESM File Help

zygster525

Gasp! I hope you didn't just call my beautiful mod "sloppy work", you meanie! Haha :laugh: Perhaps I'll go through the mod checking the activators (there's just so many of them, gah!) to make 'em persistent and see how the mod fares when make it an esm. Thanks :dance:

No I didn't that was a general statement coming from experience! :tongue:

One time back in band camp! I set up about 140 activators in a mod. They all worked perfectly until I converted the mod to an .esm. After that only a few of them worked! I pulled my hair out for the longest time until I figured out that in .esm's scripts that call on a ref need that ref to be persistent! :wallbash:

When you have many records, a trick is Recompile All Scripts: PU will tell you which ones are not setted as Persistent Reference. It could be annoying because vanilla has many warnings, but as I said if you have many records it could be a nice idea, I always do that. Of course do not save after that, use it only to point out the mistakes

If you use Power Up fork you can edit esm's directly in GECK so you don't have to deal with swapping them back and forth with FNVEdit. Loading the .esm into FNVEdit after converting to an esm SHOULD restore any ONAM records. I think once they are present then GECK will save them from then on, but I'm not entirely sure about that. You can always load the plugin after editing in GECK and save it again after making some small edit to the header description or something and it should generate any override records.

As long as the ONAM records are present, then an .esm can override anything in another esm, and the DLC's in fact use this method for both Fallout 3 and Fallout NV to do so. So saying that an ESM can only introduce new records is incorrect. However it's not good practice to make EVERYTHING an esm, esp's are designed to be overrides by nature.

There's also a plugin to suppress the common warnings. I have a pre-configured ini for it , if anyone wants. It will still warn you about potential "real" errors and scripting errors.

There is a bug with the Fallout engines in terms of navmeshes degrading over time when they are not in an ESM. That bug was corrected in Skyrim at some point (last patch ?) but it still remains in the previous engines.

Persistence flags are tricky, anything marked persistent will be saved in the save file. However, they should also remain loaded even when not in the same cell. Vendor Chests, doors, furniture, activators and other objects which need to remember their state should be persistent. Anything used in a script with REF has to be persistent or it won't work. Named NPC's should also be persistent, where as respawning ones probably don't need to be, but if they use spawn makers those do need to be persistent. That goes for other types of markers too. Examining how the vanilla game handles all that stuff will show the way.

:edit:

actually I was right the first time, edit removed.

Edited by RoyBatterian

I think I managed to get it working on my mod with a few tutorials and your suggestions, and yup, now that I loaded Fork as well I can actually edit the esm directly. Awesome! It's such a relief to see that hideous neck seam gone, too :laugh: Thanks for the advice everybody :dance: