Jötunns, Jaegers & Titans - Skyrim land of Giants mod

valhallahrim

I've been dwelling on the fact Skyrim has all sorts of dangerous and fearful creatures that roam different regions of the land, however it came to mind that although giants are a force to be reckoned with they rarely pose and threat and generally only attack if provoked. When one considers their immense size and strength you would think that both the people of skyrim and the giants themselves would be more at conflict with one and other with more hostilities in terms of interaction.

I am posing the idea here of giants having wider roaming capabilities and also being more aggressively natured when in close proximity to a band of troops or any man who gets too close or is within line of sight of these guys.

I was also thinking that it would be cool to have some variety among giants such as three or perhaps four different types of giant in different areas of the world. I know there are some other giant mods out there but generally all I've seen is one or two that simply increase the number of giants and give them a different coloration but not different skins or types.

Here below is some concept art work I have drawn for the 'Titans' which I drew from several different images based on creatures from another game but with one or two minor alterations which I feel give a more menacing look.

Edited by valhallahrim

I understand the meaning of the word 'Jötunn' hence the title and suggestion. Apologizes for getting the plural wrong though, unfortunately I can't change the mod request name without starting a new thread as far as I know. All I was implying with this mod was for more giant variance ie. we have earth and frost as you pointed out, perhaps we could have forest and stone or something else. With the drawing of my giant brute/titan I was hoping that someone would perhaps see potential for more giant specimens/tribes that would add to the hostility of the Skyrim landscape and additionally provide more challenges to the player in venturing alone or even with companions so that one might seek to be more tactical and stealthy. Found image online that looks cool and may provide an alternate skin for the giant model that currently roam Skyrim since they all seem to have the same hair, skin & weapon details.

Edited by valhallahrim

The local Nords and the giants have a tacit understanding, basically a peace agreement; The nords don't bother them, and they don't bother the nords, unless they threaten them. Giants were originally meant to play a part in the civil war, with the Stormcloaks recruiting Giants into their ranks along with tamed wolves, while the imperials would have mounted cavalry, with faction quests involved to have each of them join the factions. Unfortunately, those details were ultimately dropped from the finished game due to bugs. Just my two cents on why the Giants aren't a huge threat to Skyrim.

I guess that peace agreement suggestion makes sense since they are fellow inhabitants. Perhaps they could be more hostile to other races such as the Imperials, Bretons, Khajiit, Altmer etc... Another idea that came to mind is perhaps there could be cursed Giants that have basically been altered by the magic of Altmer mages to be aggressive to all including Nords? I have to say it's a shame that idea was dropped in the final game Talonflight. It would have been awesome to fight alongside Giants and Wolves against the imperials.

Interesting idea metaton. Although I believe there is already one or two mods that make Giants much much bigger. Maybe check these out: - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11016/?, http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9786/?, http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11080/? plus there is heights adjusted races with true Giants. I guess if I were proposing larger sized Giant maybe Colossus would be a more fitting name. I guess with the Titans suggestion & sketch I was thinking of a creature based more immense strength and not so much size, around 3 to 4 times larger than a human (similar to Giants in terms of scale) but like you said with unique meshes and textures that pose a threat to all Skyrim inhabitants but also clash with Giants to.

Lastly on a smaller note could Giants be renamed to Jötunn/Jötnar or is that too petty a suggestion?

Edited by valhallahrim

...I have to say it's a shame that idea was dropped in the final game Talonflight. It would have been awesome to fight alongside Giants and Wolves against the imperials.

If you use the Civil War Overhaul, parts of those details were restored, with Giants, wolves, and Mounted Cavalry making their return for each faction, although their quests are still defunct. They also add Armored Giants. I don't think its quite what you're looking for but I figure you might enjoy it!