How do I UWV Unwrap a Sword for Skyrim in 3ds Max?

azlakal

I am brand new to making weapon mods for Skyrim, and it seems i've ran into a problem with UVW Unwrapping in 3DS Max. I can UVW unwrap any other piece of my model properly, but for whateer reason, the blade will not flatten, it will actually get thinner and harder to texture. I am trying to make a Norse-style sword for my first mod, mostly to be able to finally release my first mod and get feedback, but the blade has me stuck. The issue lies after UVW unwrapping my entire object, and then trying to use any mapping method, whether "flatten" or preferably "normal." Instead of the map getting wider, it actually becomes thinner and snakier, making it impossible to use for my UV map. Relaxing does not seem to fix this problem either. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated!

Here is a link to a video I just made demonstrating the problem. I am very *very* new to UVW unwrapping, and although I am having a hellish time with it, I would still love to be able to make mods and give back to the Nexus community!

Edited by azlakal

@Elathia

I just went ahead and did a flatten-map, and then meticulously adjusted everything, but I will use that method for my next project! Although you probably explained the plane projection method perfectly well (and it is going over my head), can I ask you what that method might be called, or where I could see how to perform it?

-Thanks You!

I couldn't see the video because I was on my phone at the time.

For your situation, yeah resetting the xform would have probably helped. To reset the xForm, go into Utilities, and select "reset xForm". A new modifier will appear in the modifier stack. Always save before resetting the xForm. It has a chance to hose your model. This has to be done BEFORE you apply the UV modifier. Then all you have to do is convert the model back to Editable Poly(merge the modifier stack). All is well if the model doesn't get hosed. xForm corrects initially bad unwrapping if any. Especially maps that start off all smushed together and not fixed even if you relax, or use Pack Normalize.

Projection mapping would just help ensure an object splits evenly relative to the shape of the object but to do projection mapping:

Change the selection to Polygon(it will show up in the command panel), otherwise you wont be able to select projection types. Then under the Peel options, you'll see the projection types. For blades, a planar type projection might be ok.

Edited by Elathia