Thane owns everything

EnigManic

It's nice to be Thane but it totally ruins immersion for theives. When you become Thane of a hold, the game modifies flags and/or factions so that almost nothing in that hold is marked as stolen. As Thane of a hold, you can enter any house in the city and take everything but the kitchen sink. Nothing is marked as stolen so it makes it quite difficult to do certain Thieves Guild jobs if you're already Thane.

I'm quite surprised that no one has made a mod to address this issue. Has anyone found a decent fix for this?

That isn't the case with the vanilla game as far as I know. What does happen is that you are so well "liked" by everybody in the hold that they will "give" you most of their possession. But there should be an upper limit on their generosity so as a thief you can still take jewelry and gems to complete your quests.

Lofgren, you're right. Gems are still flagged as stolen. But everything else is up for grabs. I can't figure out how to change this in the CK. I don't know if it's controlled by a global or a script or what. If anyone knows how to change this, I would greatly appreciate it.