Except for werewolves, the Companions are not necessary?

MidbossVyers

The "inner circle" of the Companions makes up over 50% of the Companions. How it's a "secret" to the rest of the Companions is pretty astonishing.

Space compression, extended to the population. Presumably, you get to see the entire Circle, whereas the vast, vast majority of the grunts just don't show up in-game. Like most of the rest of the population of Whiterun. Basically...Skyrim is actually a lot more than ten miles across; what we see in game is a compressed representation of the actual world.

Exactly. In ESO you learn that the Companions have chartered lodges all over Skyrim, and number in the hundreds, if not more. They're an army in their own right.

Skyrim just can't depict a county 1200 miles across and populated by half a million people. Not if you want your computer to survive the ordeal. While you likely meet the majority of the Inner Circle, Jorvaskir likely houses dozens of initiates and mid-ranking Companions.

Skyrim just can't depict a county 1200 miles across and populated by half a million people. Not if you want your computer to survive the ordeal.

Yep. Ten years ago you could not have had a game world as large as Skyrim (with anywhere even vaguely near the graphics.) Yes, yes, I know earlier TES games had even larger worlds, but they didn't have anywhere near the graphic immersion of Skyrim (or Oblivion for that matter.) Daggerfall, for example, relied a lot on randomly generated terrain in between the cities, towns and other "named" places.

I would wager that in ten more years we will have PCs capable of handling an open game world with the breadth and length of Daggerfall and even better graphics -probably with true 3D and voice synthesized responses by NPCs (instead of a limited number of prerecorded lines.) THEN we will see countries, cities and organizations much closer to the 1:1 level.

On topic: I was sad when Kodlak died. Glad I offed the Glamoril (spelling?) witches so that he could rest in peace. The companions are indeed a rough bunch. So whether you like them or not will be a purely personal decision. They certainly fit the "rough-and-ready" Nord image. As to whether to go all the way and get "hairy"... That's another personal decision. I'd rather not be a werewolf -but then it does make life interesting.

EDIT: If I do decide to become a werewolf -does it become mandatory that I have to chase Khajiit? I mean, it seems logical. I'm a dog, they're cats...

Edited by LeddBate

Yep. Ten years ago you could not have had a game world as large as Skyrim (with anywhere even vaguely near the graphics.) Yes, yes, I know earlier TES games had even larger worlds, but they didn't have anywhere near the graphic immersion of Skyrim (or Oblivion for that matter.) Daggerfall, for example, relied a lot on randomly generated terrain in between the cities, towns and other "named" places.

Not to mention nearly every character and creature in it being some form of sprite.

EDIT: If I do decide to become a werewolf -does it become mandatory that I have to chase Khajiit? I mean, it seems logical. I'm a dog, they're cats...

By that reasoning a Khajiit Werewolf would spend all his nights chasing himself in utter confusion.

• 4 weeks later...

So, we should have just sent the Dragonborn to Skuldafn with an oversized ball of yawn, some treats and a daedric pet carrier.

hahaha how would that have gone?

Alduin: I WILL FEAST ON YOUR SOU- oh a ball of yarn! (plays with it, then gets bored), NOW I WILL FEAS- oh a treat.....oh a treat...oh a treat...oh a treat... oh a treat...oh a treat... oh a tre- LET ME OUT OF THIS DAMN CAGE!!!

Gormlaith: What are you going to do with alduin now?

Dragonborn: Don't worry, Alduin is going to be kept by top men...

Gormlaith: Who?..

Dragonborn: Top men...

• 5 months later...

Haha, Lol ... Better idea for a mod = "Red Laser Pointer Spell" ... "I will kill you Dovaki .... Oooohhh, look at the little re dot! Must chase it, must chase it, must chase it " Works equally well on Khajit, Wolves, Wereworlfs, Sabre Cats and even Dragons. :)

• 2 months later...

I actually found the opposite to be true, a little bit. I've been having some trouble figuring out a main objective for my Alik'r. (Alternate Start, the works.) He's not Dragonborn, and he has no magical abilities, so that limits his prospects quite a bit. Dark Brotherhood would work, but having two snarky scimitar-wielding Redguards in the sanctuary...might be a bit much. And I didn't feel like doing that questline anyway; I find it a bit boring until the later missions. So I had to settle for joining the Companions, despite the rather severe ideological and atmospheric differences between my character and the organization. And I kind of doubt that he'd ever consent to being a werewolf, so I basically just talked to Skjor in the Underforge and then left.

In the end, I settled on a monetary goal. A million septims in order to secure passage back to Hammerfell, set up a comfortable retirement, and pay off the Alik'r, who got annoyed when he ran off in the middle of a mission.

The upshot is, the Companions have a very distinct feel to them, which doesn't necessarily fit most types of fighter characters.

But.......you've got Curved Swords..........Curved.........Swords.

Skyrim just can't depict a county 1200 miles across and populated by half a million people. Not if you want your computer to survive the ordeal.

I would wager that in ten more years we will have PCs capable of handling an open game world with the breadth and length of Daggerfall and even better graphics -probably with true 3D and voice synthesized responses by NPCs (instead of a limited number of prerecorded lines.) THEN we will see countries, cities and organizations much closer to the 1:1 level.

On topic: I was sad when Kodlak died. Glad I offed the Glamoril (spelling?) witches so that he could rest in peace. The companions are indeed a rough bunch. So whether you like them or not will be a purely personal decision. They certainly fit the "rough-and-ready" Nord image. As to whether to go all the way and get "hairy"... That's another personal decision. I'd rather not be a werewolf -but then it does make life interesting.

Not to mention nearly every character and creature in it being some form of sprite.

By that reasoning a Khajiit Werewolf would spend all his nights chasing himself in utter confusion.

So, we should have just sent the Dragonborn to Skuldafn with an oversized ball of yawn, some treats and a daedric pet carrier.

I will have you know that Khajiit chase werewolves... They are actually very friendly towards each other and the khajiit werewolves fall asleep at night chuckling to themselves about the irony about being a dog who is actually a cat.. (there might be some confusion involved)

Wouldn't work, would need an oversized crumpled piece of paper or a HUGE cardboard box. The yarn might get jumped upon by crazy knitters and turned into an Alduin sized ugly sweater.

*this coming from a Khajiit werewolf Dragonborn*

• 4 weeks later...