Modded Skyrim gpu and cpu requirements?

bladie

Hi all,

Currently I'm in the market for a new PC and want to build a system that performs well for a modded Skyrim. By modded I mean:

• 1k to 2k textures (4k only for some specific armors, skin textures etc)
  • an ENB like RealVision (Full Version)
  • playing at 1920x1080 resolution

Can anyone that runs a similar game setup tell me how much VRAM I will need for my graphics card? Currently I'm considering the NVidia GTX970 with 3.5GB fast memory and the AMD R9 290X with 4 or 8 GB of VRAM. If the VRAM usage does not come close to 4GB, buying an 8GB card would be a waste of money for me, but I can't find any information on this.

Also, for the cpu I'm now considering the i5 4690. What would the difference in the in-game performance be if I went for the overclockable 4690k instead?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

(Sorry if this topic is posted in the wrong category, I couldn't find a fitting category other than this one)

Edited by bladie

I would say that I have a heavy graphical modded Skyrim. The VRAM usage is most of the time something between 3.5 and 3.9 GB. I'm using a Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X with 4GB and I have ALWAYS 60fps without ENB. I would not recommend for VRAM anything less than 3GB. The 8GB version is in my opinion oversized.

The i5 4690 is fine. I'm also using the non overcklockable version. The benefits of the K-version will be not noticeable.

It okay to have 3vram. Skyrim vram limit is 3.1 ( as far as I know.) and you will need so many textures for to fill 2 vram. 8 is only for when you want everything coated in 4k, and it not good for skyrim itself and a 4k screen cost about 780$-1000$ and have normal sizes. Thankfully the prices dropped as of late.

Both the gpu cards are sweet. For cpus, an i5 4690 will do the job.

It okay to have 3vram. Skyrim vram limit is 3.1 ( as far as I know.)

No it's not for the 100.000th time! It's a RAM limit not a VRAM limit! And 2GB VRAM is easily reached regarding the fact that the HD DLC only demands up to 1.5GB! Do your homework before writing wrong and absolutely misleading comments.

Edited by Novem99

It okay to have 3vram. Skyrim vram limit is 3.1 ( as far as I know.) and you will need so many textures for to fill 2 vram. 8 is only for when you want everything coated in 4k, and it not good for skyrim itself and a 4k screen cost about 780$-1000$ and have normal sizes. Thankfully the prices dropped as of late.

Both the gpu cards are sweet. For cpus, an i5 4690 will do the job.

looks like you are confused between RAM and VRAM. skyrim has limit on RAM you can use as much VRAM ( more than 3.1 ) provided you dont run out of system RAM which is only usable upto 3.1

Thanks for the replies!

The VRAM usage is most of the time something between 3.5 and 3.9 GB.

In that case I don't think I'll buy the gtx970: if only 3.5 GB of the card is fast I might notice some dips in fps when the game wants to load more. Still a hard choice to make between the R9 290 and R9 290X then, the 290 seems like it's way better value but the 290X performs slightly better in other games.

Here are some shots from Afterburner after playing Skyrim, specs are i5-2400k @ 4.2Ghz, 8GB RAM, MSI GTX 780 3GB overclocked about 10% (amazing card no matter what I throw at it temps rarely go over 65-70 and Im getting average 35-45fps) I use around 60-70 mods with Max quality Serenity ENB Extended FX (real fps killer) and Tamriel Reloaded HD using mainly 2K textures with a few 4k, my game is very stable even though the VRAM does hit the max sometimes.

As already said, I would not get a card with less than 3GB VRAM and even though there are newer gpu's available I would still recommend the 780 if you can find a cheap one as they have come down in price now the 970-980 gpu's are here.

Ignore the 100% fan speed on these specs, I do use an aggresive custom fan profile but the 100% is when I set Afterburner to manual and maxed the fans when I playing around with the fan profle.

http://www.fazerfetish.eclipse.co.uk/VRAM.jpg

http://www.fazerfetish.eclipse.co.uk/[email protected]

Here's the I5-2500K cpu stats, it gets close to being maxed out at times but never causes a problem and even with an overclock and just a cheap £30 cpu cooler the temps are great.

looks like you are confused between RAM and VRAM. skyrim has limit on RAM you can use as much VRAM ( more than 3.1 ) provided you dont run out of system RAM which is only usable upto 3.1

I'm sure it said vram. Thanks for correcting me anyways.