Photo

On the internet, trolls, and finally creating an effective rating syst

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

bben46

bben46

I had a title once, but I forgot what it was.

• Premium Member
  • 24,973 posts
@Wasteland Assassin: the first - and every subsequent person who's review is nothing but 'bla bla' 33 times - or something similar - will find themselves on the outside looking in as soon as I see it. :tongue:

WastelandAssassin

WastelandAssassin

Your Friendly Neighborhood Assassin

• Premium Member
  • 6,868 posts

@Wasteland Assassin: the first - and every subsequent person who's review is nothing but 'bla bla' 33 times - or something similar - will find themselves on the outside looking in as soon as I see it. :tongue:

yes, that was obvious to me (i know you are all doing a fine job with the Ban Hammer :biggrin:)

still, it's always good to know that we are in such good hands :)

Herculine

Herculine

NEKOMANCER

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Wouldn't requiring more detail for a rating lower the number of total ratings? Many people aren't willing to put in much time to do things like that.

I have to agree on this point. Even with the simpler "thumbs" system only five to ten per cent of a mod's downloaders will return once the "trial period" has elapsed to take the time to comment on it. (I base these statistics on what I've seen with my own uploads.) While in the grand scheme of things in the end it is up to each individual modder whether or not they will base their future works on comments received, and in turn it's not the fault of any site staff that we as downloaders are either lazy or just indifferent, still I can't help but think that returning to the numerical ratings system will further reduce downloader participation in the uploaded files comments section.

Povuholo

Povuholo

Fargoth Worshipper

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,256 posts
I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm sure there will be people who hate it, as with every change ever made, but I think that this system could turn out really well.

Stewb

Stewb

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 904 posts
I have no issues with most of the stuff in you post, things like criteria to post a review e.t.c are fine. The only problem for me that i could see is the idea of a minimum amount of words in the review. I know you are using it as a way of getting a good review, but i myself am rather succinct. What i say in say about 50 words i find most other folks taking 500 words to say. I know there's no way you could implement a filter for quality of content in a comment, just saying that i'd find it harder to leave a comment of a set length every time, more so if it was a simple mod to give a texture replacement only, as there's only so much you can say about it.

Edit: Another thought, is a set activity level for everyone to post a review really o.k? Someone could easily get to a set activity level then only ever post reviews after that. Wouldn't a set amount of activity say per week or per month be better, as although people could just spam posts to get that amount of activity each week/month, it should be easier for you to spot and make it harder on the trolls.

Edited by Stewb, 18 November 2010 - 05:35 PM.

Lafleyr

Lafleyr

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 39 posts
Will the new system allow for review edits/updates to reflect changes and additions made to mods? Much like with Amazon reviews where the customer updates their reviews to discuss an updated version of the product or details of long-term use.

Thandal

Thandal

Faithful Kobold Companion

• Moderators
  • 23,176 posts
As with any of Dark0ne's posts, if I'm reading it, I'm reading all of it!

Love the idea of a "filtered" Review system.

Support keeping it simple, I'd suggest no more than five grades:

Excellent
Above Average (works well)
Average (works)
Below Average (problems, esp. compatibility or installation)
Don't Bother

I don't believe there should be a minimum number of words in the reviews. But for Average-or-below ones, there should be a requirement to include some easily understood terms to identify the shortcomings, much like the current remarks for Strikes and Bans; "Flaming", "Spam", "Piracy". So; "Unclear install instructions", "Requires multiple additional mods", "Poor quality art/sound/editing", etc. I'd bet the most common reasons will become rapidly apparent. :laugh:

[Edited to add another thought.]

It's not clear to me whether this would REPLACE the "Thumbs Up/Down" option. I thought there would still be the rapid, and dead-simple, feedback provided that way, PLUS more in-depth Reviews by a (somewhat more mature than average) group.

XTR3M368

XTR3M368

Foe Hammer

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
I may be naive, but the endorsement system was working fine IMO. I, usually without fail, could look at when the file was submitted and the endorsements to date and tell which were the "good", "the bad" and "the ugly". I am very rarely surprised either way...be it a mod that is awesome but had almost no endorsements or the other way around where a well endorsed mod was bad. This is even taking into account my personal gaming tastes too.

There are great mods that I won't use due to my personal preferences, but that doesn't mean I can't see that they are great. The amount of endorsements vs. time that they have been released works very well for me.

Adding too many features to the site ratings system and all the great stuff might end up like the old saying goes...
"A diamond alone is unique and beautiful, a diamond in a stack of diamonds is just another diamond'

Edited by XTR3M368, 18 November 2010 - 06:41 PM.

SydneyB

SydneyB

Fire and Blood

• Premium Member
  • 32,130 posts
The new rating system sounds interesting. I think it can be very helpful for players when deciding whether to download a mod, and for modders to know what can be improved in the mods you make.

Thanks for your hard work :)

DJZephyr

DJZephyr

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
I like the Amazon idea of requiring a review with a rating. Hopefully, it will inspire people to think before simply going 'OMG! 11/10! ENDORSED!!11' and maybe give the authors some useful feedback. I, for one, get a little peeved when I get an endorsement (or on DevArt, a favorite) without getting a comment, and I almost never GIVE an endorsment without throwing in a well-thought two cents, often with a bit of critique of any imperfections or issues I find. A hundred words might be a bit much, but something is better than nothing. :P

Good luck culling the horde... er, moderating the community. Judging from the Rules and Strikes board, new games (like F:NV) bring in the riff-raff in droves, as if those nine lonely mods didn't already have their troll-thumping, pirate-punting work cut out for 'em. I've done some admin work in the past, but there are individual file threads here with more posts than my old JA clan's entire forum. You guys wield those full-auto ban-cannons well, and you have my respect.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.126 seconds