On the internet, trolls, and finally creating an effective rating syst

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

Thandal

Thandal

Faithful Kobold Companion

• Moderators
  • 23,176 posts

There are great mods that I won't use due to my personal preferences, but that doesn't mean I can't see that they are great. The amount of endorsements vs. time that they have been released works very well for me.

This would be a useful addition. Some kind of standard graph/chart showing Endorsements-Over-Time (normalized for longevity, of course) would make it clear which mods had received the most positive feedback. But I'm not sure that the new "Review" effort being discussed replaces the simple Up/Down endorsement process. I hope it augments it!

A highly specialized mod that only a few people use, but those few really like for how well it does what it does, might get a great Review but almost no endorsements. So if I'm looking for that special one, this would help in a way that the "Hot 100", "FOTM, etc., can't.

CaesarInvictus

CaesarInvictus

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Interesting, but as you assert in the article, i really hope this doesnt come back to haunt me. I know for a fact that I have a hard time taking criticism, especially on files ive worked alot on, so ill be cringing when i get a "less than 10" for sure- though i doubt id make much of a fuss about it. At the same time im going to be worried about being attacked when *I* review something and give it a less-than-10. I suppose ill just need to wait and see, and try not to get too involved with this either way. Lets all hope and pray this doesnt go very very wrong very very fast.

Arthmoor

Arthmoor

Destroyer of Bugs

• Premium Member
  • 21,526 posts
Well I for one will be glad to see the useless negative endorsement reasons gone once this new system goes in.

One thing I saw in the post that really makes you stop to take notice of. Out of nearly 2 million people, only 18,000 of them will have had enough activity to be able to review? That's 0.009% of the user base. A somewhat sobering thought.

Pronam

Pronam

• Premium Member
  • 4,069 posts
Yes, that was a long read >.>

Only 7-8 % actually posts (checked that in '09 somewhere which took me 2 hours, while mr.Dark0ne ran a sql-search in less than a minute >.> ). So it's close to 10% of the community of people that ever commented on a file/made a post on the forum. That percentage probably gets higher if you narrow it down till a min. of 10-50 posts as most of these 7-8% posters don't get over the 10 posts in the first place.

I like the idea, hopefully it'll add another dimension to the ratings.

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,417 posts

One thing I saw in the post that really makes you stop to take notice of. Out of nearly 2 million people, only 18,000 of them will have had enough activity to be able to review? That's 0.009% of the user base. A somewhat sobering thought.

18,000 of 2,000,000 is 0.9%, so round up to 1% and it seems quite nice :)

JimboUK

JimboUK

There's someone watching me, I can tell.

• Premium Member
  • 46,307 posts
It'll be interesting to see how this works out, I do like this......

This new system will be exclusive in nature, requiring that users have to pass certain criteria before they are able to review a file. At the moment the criteria I'm working on is a post count of 50 or higher, an activity level of 12 or more, or a Supporter or Premium Member membership. This criteria limits the potential number of reviewers to just under 18,000 as things stand. The hope being that these 18,000 individuals have proven themselves to be mature enough for this community by the very fact they've made 50 posts, uploaded files or images themselves or financially supported the site without getting themselves removed from it.

The vast majority of those who meet the criteria should know how things are done around here and what's expected of them, should keep the "this sucks" reviews to a minimum. Nice to see the back of the negative endorsements too, I still can't see what use they were to anyone.

Arthmoor

Arthmoor

Destroyer of Bugs

• Premium Member
  • 21,526 posts
Oops. Yeah, math error. 1% is definitely a little better :)

ladydesire

ladydesire

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Maybe I'm one of the odd mod authors, but I doubt I'd grumble much if someone wanted to give my mods a "1". I know they aren't perfect (though I do try hard to eradicate bugs when I find them or someone points them out to me) and I've never felt comfortable just giving a module for any game a "10" unless it truly deserved it for some reason.

XTR3M368

XTR3M368

Foe Hammer

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
I am hoping with the "minimum requirements" that Dark0ne has toyed with makes it so the trolls will be few and far in between. What I see is that MOST modders respect other modders due to having knowledge of what it takes to make a mod and get it released. I am always impressed with a modder who can do it better than I can. Hopefully there will be some "professional courtesy" between modders so that this doesn't fall into that dark hole of a feature that the negative endorsements were....basically a way to legally troll. I don't see very many bans issued to people fitting the requirements...hopefully that means the ones that have the staying power to meet those requirements will make this new addition be a positive.

documn

documn

Mullet

• Premium Member
  • 651 posts
I think the 18,000 is a good idea, but I would still like to have some guidance on what the ratings numbers actually mean. I know you're supposed to elaborate on your rating in your review, but I think it would be helpful if reviewers always touched on specific areas of the mod, like
- is the mod easy or hard to install?
- does the mod do what the author said it would do
- does the mod have bugs
- does the mod conflict with others
- does the mod have "polish"
- Is the mod's readme good enough

Personally, I would like to give and receive concise reviews rather than long ones.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.910 seconds