[GUIDE] Manual Cleaning Skyrim Master Files

Deleted133263User

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this awesome guide! I used TES5EDIT 3.2 to do the cleaning of my Skyrim (original), and everything seemed to go fine and match the guide. The only thing I am confused on is the MD5 hash for the auto cleaned Hearthfires. I used two different MD5 Hash generation utilities, and came up with the same MD5 value from each utility:

1808E38F0D4E3F7E8BA10905235B7F6A

where the guide shows the MD5 has for the cleaned heartfires should be:

E91E103C7F541C34F7CDD53AD68EDA3A

The CRC value of the cleaned file does match the CRC in the guide. All the other MD5 values matched up.

I tried the hearthfilres cleaning on the original file again, and the resulting Hearthfires.esm file was identical to the first attempt.

The only additional detail is that this skyrim was part of the Elder Scrolls Anthology, but I assume that is irrelevent since the MD5 hash before cleaning hearthfilres does match the guide.

Should I be concerned? I saw that 1808E38F0D4E3F7E8BA10905235B7F6A was mentioned back in February in post #22...

Edited by chickmetalhead

• 1 month later...

If anyone is wondering when an update will come to this guide .. When the next official version of xEdit comes out of beta on Nexus

.. But note I can only now support updating the info for Skyrim Special Edition : I no longer have Skyrim LE

Currently I am using the latest development version on afk mods (at the bottom of the first post is a "Download" link).

There are a couple of differences to the results, but I will not be updating the OP until the official release because if I do, then there will be a train of questions why people still using the older but public release are getting different results .. So I need to wait until it goes live .. However I realise like yourselves that the dev version is more than likely the better version to support SSE since the Creation Club update to SSE has already gone live

With that in mind here are my results, which I have carefully checked using the dev version of 3.2.1 - But only for Skyrim Special Edition (as explained above).

Update.esm
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done] Processed Records: 17403, Removed Records: 234, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[undeleting and Disabling References done] Processed Records: 17169, Undeleted Records: 91, Elapsed Time: 00:00

Dawnguard.esm
1st clean :
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done] Processed Records: 98676, Removed Records: 621, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[undeleting and Disabling References done] Processed Records: 98055, Undeleted Records: 82, Elapsed Time: 00:02
<Warning: Plugin contains 57 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>
2nd clean
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done] Processed Records: 98054, Removed Records: 6, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[undeleting and Disabling References done] Processed Records: 98048, Undeleted Records: 0, Elapsed Time: 00:02
<Warning: Plugin contains 57 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>
3rd clean

Hearthfires.esm
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done] Processed Records: 17830, Removed Records: 178, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[undeleting and Disabling References done] Processed Records: 17652, Undeleted Records: 11, Elapsed Time: 00:00
<Warning: Plugin contains 5 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>

Dragonborn.esm
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done] Processed Records: 214498, Removed Records: 69, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[undeleting and Disabling References done] Processed Records: 214429, Undeleted Records: 8, Elapsed Time: 00:02
<Warning: Plugin contains 1 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>

The highlighted results are the changes from previous results

Edited by Guest

Should I be concerned? I saw that 1808E38F0D4E3F7E8BA10905235B7F6A was mentioned back in February in post #22...

No not if you are starting with a newly verified version of the plugin, and getting the same record results at each stage of cleaning ITMs and UDRs.

When xEdit 3.2.1 hits the streets I will make time to re-install original Skyrim again and ensure I get a good accurate account of everything .. For the last time as far as Skyrim LE is concerned.

And before anyone asks the question - No I will not be doing esl's as part of the cleaning masters guide .. Just imagine how long that list could grow and how much of a nightmare it would be keeping up to it :tongue:

One thing I have noticed recently is Windows 10 ( and possibly 8 ) can undermine this process by what can only be described as pretending to copy files from one place to another, its as if a folder can have a cached older version of a file that has been edited successfully since, so when you copy it the result is actually the older file .. I know, doesn't make sense, but I found I have to refresh a folder after every stage to ensure I am copying the correct updated file every time, and then check the file properties for a correlating timestamp to ensure what I have done is indeed correct.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For Update.esm for the Special Edition, I'm getting Removed Records: 228.

Using SSEEdit 3.2.1. Is mah Skyrim broke and gonna burn down muh house?

I also only get 228 in the update.esm although I have deleted the string folder in the Data folder, because someone here said that the difference is because of the wrong version of the string files

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For anyone wondering about how some guides say check Update.esm with Hearthfires.esm, according to my session logs cleaning Hearthfires.esm with or without Update.esm in the equation results in EXACTLY same amount of ITM removals and UDRs, so I assume it makes no difference and both guides are correct.