GCO - Guard Class Overhaul [WIP]

Indigoblade

Well for mercenary guards if you don't feel like doing all the dialog stuff and whatever, just make guards, give them armor and weapons like iron, leather, all that stuff, and make them roam the hold, and lastly name them Mercenary Guard or whatever you have in mind.

That's the issue, if you want to do something, you got to do it right. Especially if you know how to do it right. Normally if when making something I try to do it within my knowledge, I know making proper merc guards IS possible so doing it right is my duty.

You can give them the vanilla guard dialogue sets after all, accent is not based on race or birthplace in real life but based on where and how you are raised. For example, I was born in the south and raised in the north according to what was implied in this game I should have a southern accent but I don't. Also, I read on the wiki that there was a story about an argonian that lost his native accent and sounded like the redguards that he lived alongside.

You can give them the vanilla guard dialogue sets after all, accent is not based on race or birthplace in real life but based on where and how you are raised. For example, I was born in the south and raised in the north according to what was implied in this game I should have a southern accent but I don't. Also, I read on the wiki that there was a story about an argonian that lost his native accent and sounded like the redguards that he lived alongside.

Good point, I was born in Germany but raised in the south of America. Therefore I have a bit of a southern accent.

This is a fair point, unfortunately the way the game handle dialog and history of mercenaries differ with your opinion. Voices of characters usually follow a kind of grouping per race within the game, with the more human races having the most variety while the rest having a more limited set. I rather not change up the whole scheme of things just for a feature. Also historically, mercenaries are usually drawn from other lands to bolster their patron's numbers so different dialects is very common in mercenary armies... Again very possible to just draw in voice clips from other parts of the game to suit this need... Unfortunately I am going to have to learn how dialog works now -_- Probably not too bad, others have done it in good quality, so can I

Great, so you do feel like doing all the work?

What I can do now is add mercenary guards as nords/imperials in the initial release... As I learn dialog snipping and figure out a good way, or getting someone to help me do this, I will expand on other races.

Different guard race and gender with warpaint.

The race is not determining the dialogue but the voicetype. E.g. if you create some argonian npcs but give them the malenord voicetype they can have all the standard guard dialogue with voice.

Not something I would particularly like but if it is what you want to do then it is definately possible.

I can't wait! Thank you for working on this. I didn't know I wanted a mod like this until I read your well-thought out posts. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, and I'm looking forward to raiding rival holds during the Civil War with the Civil War Overhaul mod installed alongside this one.

Edited by Harpalus

• 4 weeks later...

I personally feel the mod is perfect as you described it. The only suggestion I would have is the name. When I saw GCO I instantly though of GDO (Guard Dialogue Overhaul). Maybe name it Diversified Guards In Skyrim [DGIS], or maybe Organized Guards In Skyrim [OGIS], something like that.

OBIS is familiar to (almost)everyone and to me it just seems fitting to keep the four letter acronym style that has made OBIS so familiar.

Just my two cents. Can't wait until this is released