Help! Boone won't shoot stuff

WarKirby3333

Hello folks.

I'm trying a new character build, with high charisma and intelligence (plus barter, speech, science, and lockpick) , but almost no combat skill. Using the unlimited companions and companion dressup mods, I'm looking to play a sort of commander character by recruiting ever y companion and making them do all the fighting while I do the diplomacy :)

My plan is currently running into a snag though. So far I have Ed-E and Boone. But boone seems to have forgotten his training.

Sometime shortly after I got him, on the way to repconn, he mysteriously announced that he was out of ammo. And since then, he's been using nothing but his machete. I thought companions' default weapons had infinite ammo ? To be fair, he is pretty beastly with it and he slices through nightkin easily, but still, it's not what he's supposed to do.

I've tried taking the machete away from him, but he insists on being a spoilt child and just started punching things instead. He is definitely set to use ranged attacks, that's his default and I've never changed it. he was shooting things just fine when I first got him

The rifle is listed as using some ammo called MCA which I've never heard of. All the companion default weapons seem to use it, so I'm guessing it's some internal code for Infinite Ammo.

Any idea what's going on here? Should I just give him a different rifle maybe? what would be good for him?

Edited by WarKirby3333

I had a time when Boone the Master Sniper insisted on going hand to hand with everything, even though he still had his personal rifle .... but it sorted itself out, I know not how, after one or two sessions. I suspect it may have just been a corrupted save. So try logging off a couple of times and see if it sorts itself out, or more drastically revert to an earlier saved game ...

• 9 years later...

i have the same problem with boone i have the unlimited companion mod and boone seems to only take out his melee even tho his sniper is still in his inventory..i have to check if one of my other companion mods is effecting him. It only happens to him idk if its a corrupt save or me removing mods from the game as i played.