Branches of the US Military.....

xXHertzyXx

So, I'm following the timeline of Fallout quite closely, and as it seems, they only ever talk about the Army.. Now, I'm a part of the Marine Corps and i know my beloved Corps would not disappear outright after WW2..I can't find any indication that it exists however.

Many say that they would have been inducted in the Enclave. My counter argument is 1. The Enclave was already established as a "secret" part of the government. They would never mesh the two together. 2. Marines are on ships, which are at sea. If every country launched nukes, it's safe to say they would be safe in the oceans. 1000's would be at sea, both Navy and Marines.

I've also heard they do exist, as there is claim that NCR rangers have USMC on their armor neck peice. So were some NCR rangers former Marines? I would guess some are former Marines ..NCR rangers are descended from Desert Rangers who are from Texas however.

Then i find there are private Orders from DOD contractor to the USMC...which would never happen as well. SO. Despite this..where are these Marines?..they exist somewhere in the universe.

I swear that they're mentioned here and there. I think that the Survivalist from Honest Hearts served with the USMC, and served to confirm that the USMC used 'Riot Gear'-style armour over power armour (which makes sense, given their mission statement).

It's been hundreds of years since the apocalypse, and I think that the majority of the USMC were embarked in China on the Yangtze Campaign when the bombs started falling. They'd likely have been wiped out by the bombs, and those who haven't would likely have formed an isolated anti-communist faction in the ruins of China.

Oh, and I figure that any of them who still had their ships (presumably en-route to China, or returning wounded to the US) would've been radioed by the Enclave oil rig and brought over there.

For a Marine, I like how you forgot that Marines also serve and fight on/from land as well ;)

Anyway, in the Fallout universe, yes the USMC does exist. In the Operation Anchorage DLC, you're fighting alongside a Marine:

http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Benjamin_Montgomery

And in the Point Lookout DLC, one of locations there is a USMC prison facility:

http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Turtledove_Detention_Camp

While the Suvivalist did have the armor of a USMC soldier, he was not a member for the USMC. He's a member of the U.S Army. The armor originally belonged to a Marine:

http://fallout.gamepedia.com/R.B._Vickers

http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Desert_Ranger_combat_armor

As for what happened to the Marines afterwards, MarchUntoTorment has a reasonable explanation for what could have happened to them. In addition to what he said, there's also the problem that while Marines could have survived the initial bombardment, more than likely all of the major ports with the necessary supplies and spare parts were nuked. Since military ships aren't self-sufficient and the seas were made radioactive via the nukes, the Marines would have run out of supplies and spare parts.

It's been 200 years. Lots of things can happen. My own guess is the survivors of all of the services more or less banded together and instead of calling it the A.N.M.AF.CG they just called them selves the army. New Vegas is not near the coast where you would expect to find Marines or Navy personnel. As for the AF, the AF did not exist until a few years after WWII in our world. An it may never have split from the Army in the fictitious Fallout world at all.

Semper Fi.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming that most of the major ports were bombed to crap during the Great War, this means that if any ships did survive, they either would have settled on Pacific islands, died of radiation poisoning, or settled in some remote part of the US. Rivet City is Fallout 3 was created by the survivors of Naval Research, so they continued at least into the 2240's or when ever Rivet City was founded. So some parts of the Navy survived on the continental US. It is likely that some places would have survived. It makes more sense that the Army, Air Force, or National Guard survived more than the Marines. Because the Army and Air Force have bunkers and the National Guard have some isolated locations.

• 10 months later...

So, I realize it's been a while since i posted here. Ironically, I was stationed in the Pacific and had some deployments to do! Hah! Anyhow. I was able to read all the replies as i returned and they were truly insightful. First off, I have no clue how i missed the desert ranger armor being the issued armor for Marines. Probably because no Marine would wear a trench coat and unbloused boots as a uniform, especially into combat. Funny thing about the Benji Montgomery wiki is that the Marines don't have airbourne paratroopers. And they reference the Army a bit. So, they must be talking about him being a Soldier? I know the saying on Vickers helmet is actually more than likely referencing a Marine Corps cadence we sing. Meaning he was a Marine. Also, denoted by his rank and the tally of kills (synonymous with Marines.)

Interesting fact.. Marines have been stationed in Japan and Guam pretty much since close to the end of WW2. This would mean, Unless Okinawa and the Japanese territories were obliterated the USMC would have fully stocked and functioning bases. More than likely even 200 years later.

Another interesting fact. Aircraft carriers that carry Marines and Sailors have cargo ships that follow them that carry literally TONS of food and supplies to resupply ships for long periods of time. (I helped restock the ship) Which means the survivability of the USMC, even if its a few..is pretty dang likely

So, I realize it's been a while since i posted here. Ironically, I was stationed in the Pacific and had some deployments to do! Hah! Anyhow. I was able to read all the replies as i returned and they were truly insightful. First off, I have no clue how i missed the desert ranger armor being the issued armor for Marines. Probably because no Marine would wear a trench coat and unbloused boots as a uniform, especially into combat. Funny thing about the Benji Montgomery wiki is that the Marines don't have airbourne paratroopers. And they reference the Army a bit. So, they must be talking about him being a Soldier? I know the saying on Vickers helmet is actually more than likely referencing a Marine Corps cadence we sing. Meaning he was a Marine. Also, denoted by his rank and the tally of kills (synonymous with Marines.)

Interesting fact.. Marines have been stationed in Japan and Guam pretty much since close to the end of WW2. This would mean, Unless Okinawa and the Japanese territories were obliterated the USMC would have fully stocked and functioning bases. More than likely even 200 years later.

Another interesting fact. Aircraft carriers that carry Marines and Sailors have cargo ships that follow them that carry literally TONS of food and supplies to resupply ships for long periods of time. (I helped restock the ship) Which means the survivability of the USMC, even if its a few..is pretty dang likely

you are of course forgetting that in a war like the great war Carrier battle-groups would be a very high priority target for a massive nuclear bombardment so as to prevent the Americans from launching a second strike on the Chinese mainland with the nukes that they would most definitely have on board.

And as for the bases in Guam and Japan if you were going to launch a nuclear strike like the chinese did during the great war would you leave ANY major enemy military base off of your target list?

Edited by evafan002