BLOG PIECE: Modding as a hobby versus modding as a career, and the position of the Nexus

Dark0ne

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #23594109. #23595359 is also a reply to the same post.

Yep you are right on this. Not to mention that said not so honorable designers and modders will start chopping their own mods to pieces for more money like many developers out there. Tbh its just another shady way for developers to earn more money from other people's work and without being hassled by the players of their games saying stop making tons of dlcs and releasing chopped games and contents.

In response to post #23594774. #23595459 is also a reply to the same post.

Indeed. I really hope that modders will keep to their way of modding and continue our way as a free user generated content and just plain ignore this upcoming trend. We will be hated just as much as the developers who only make 50% of their game and release the rest as paid dlc.

In response to post #23594244. #23594439 is also a reply to the same post.

Glad to hear that it looks like a benign addition.

On/off-topic, I think that I agree with Dark0ne (if I'm interpreting this post correctly), that a theoretical for-pay mod paradigm introduce a whole new level of difficulty to the communities of games affected.

Anyone even passingly familiar with The Sims franchise, for one instance, and specifically the modding scene surrounding it, should know that this topic has always been an extremely contentious one and has had a tendency to blow up in ways both obvious and subtle.

In any case, here's hoping that you (Arthmoor) are correct.

*Edited for clarity (I hope). Edited by FiendishGhoul

In response to post #23594079. #23594254, #23595349, #23595444 are all replies on the same post.

Same here.

Donations, if you choose to accept them are the best way to go. That way mod authors who make quality stuff can be rewarded for their work and you also don't completely destroy the modding community in the process. That's called a win-win.

And the way i see it is Valve is looking for new ways to make make a few dollars off other peoples work and not their own. I mean, who needs Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3 or Portal 3 when they can make a lot of money doing absolutely nothing?