Where would you like to see the next Fallout set?

Zephyr2011

125 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you like to see the next Fallout take place?

• New England (Like FO3)
    • The Southwest (like New Vegas)
    • The Pacific Coast (Like FO1 and 2)
    • The Pacific Northwest
    • The Southeast
    • The Midwest
    • The West (ie: Rocky Mountain area)
    • Other
    • Another Country

One of the problems with locating a scenario outside of North America is that the FEV, an American phenomena, is the cause of the most "interesting" mutations. It wasn't really deployed until after the bombs fell so it would be difficult to explain its presence in China by way other either Chinese espionage or a bungled attempt to invade China with Super Mutants. I don't know the Fallout cannon well enough to know about international alliances held by the US before or after the Great War but, since the Enclave is flight-capable, they may have shared it with allies in Asia and Europe however.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the problems with locating a scenario outside of North America is that the FEV, an American phenomena, is the cause of the most "interesting" mutations. It wasn't really deployed until after the bombs fell so it would be difficult to explain its presence in China by way other either Chinese espionage or a bungled attempt to invade China with Super Mutants. I don't know the Fallout cannon well enough to know about international alliances held by the US before or after the Great War but, since the Enclave is flight-capable, they may have shared it with allies in Asia and Europe however.

Lol, we don't need the FEV. We created bovine spongiform encephalopathy, necrotising fasciitis, SARS and Swine flu, all without the nuclear war. China managed to produce all three forms of the Black Death which went right round the planet without air transport.

I tell you man, on this half of the world its like the book of revelations on a bad week! :sweat:

another reason fallout wouldn't work well in another country is because of the 50's american cultural and sci-fi theme that makes up a large portion of the game and it's setting.. this would not be present anywhere else in the world and changing that to other cultural references or removing it would make it not fallout anymore because all you'd be left with was the generic post-apocalyptic setting that tons of other media uses .. I would like to see a different backdrop tho.. the only problem is the fact we nuked the world so most of those settings like rain forest or whatnot would be gone.. tho setting it in Miami would be cool since then they could keep the traditional cultural references and setting but introduce a new variety of environment.. I would have said Hawaii but given how important a military target it is i'm sure it would have been hit hard if not completely gone (nukes plus a fairly active volcanic region can't be good) and because of it's isolated nature not sure how much would be going on there Edited by Liquidacid23

No option for the Southeast or Gulf Coast? I'd enjoy a setting like Point Lookout expanded to an entire Fallout game. Keep the creepy swamps and marshlands, toss in some mutant snakes and gators, and such. Just make Swampfolk actual people instead of creatures so the Cannibal perk can still work on them.

FEV was only supposed to be on the West Coast, so says Tim Cain anyway, I mean he only created Fallout.

One of the problems with locating a scenario outside of North America is that the FEV, an American phenomena, is the cause of the most "interesting" mutations.

Well, in place of FEV you could say that mutations are a by-product of China's extensive biological warfare efforts + radiation.

@liquidacid

It wouldn't be too hard to establish a environment in China that is fits with the retro-future vibe of the Fallout universe. There is a ton of communist propaganda-style material that could be used. It'd be funny to see all the stuff they would have said to their citizen's about the evil Americans

Pseudo-canon (from Fallout Extreme http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Extreme) could allow for at least 3 major factions, could use the Communists, the Imperial faction, and The Hun's.

There is a plot involving the deploying of a missile to destroy the BoS. Which also puts the BoS in the picture.

You are right, it would lose its '50's Americana vibe, but I think a lot of people would pay to play in a '50s commie environment too.

The question is, would the voice actors speak Chinese w/subtitles, English with a "Chinese" accent, or just plain English?

LA, los angeles, the hollywood sign! and the playboy mansion!(that is somewhere in LA right? Im not american so...)

Plus its pretty urban so it makes for an interesting setting...

either that or the commonwealth you know the one with the institute etc.

@liquidacid

It wouldn't be too hard to establish a environment in China that is fits with the retro-future vibe of the Fallout universe. There is a ton of communist propaganda-style material that could be used. It'd be funny to see all the stuff they would have said to their citizen's about the evil Americans

Pseudo-canon (from Fallout Extreme http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Extreme) could allow for at least 3 major factions, could use the Communists, the Imperial faction, and The Hun's.

There is a plot involving the deploying of a missile to destroy the BoS. Which also puts the BoS in the picture.

You are right, it would lose its '50's Americana vibe, but I think a lot of people would pay to play in a '50s commie environment too.

The question is, would the voice actors speak Chinese w/subtitles, English with a "Chinese" accent, or just plain English?

I understand what your saying but I still feel if you remove the 50's Americana vibe that is such an integral part of the entire series and setting it will not feel life fallout anymore, of course people will still buy it, tho. Fallout is now a franchise like CoD and you could crap in a box , write fallout on it and people would buy it.. lol.. but I digress there is something that strikes me as much more important than the where for the next game.. the how.. while New Vegas was an awesome game and IMO better overall than fallout 3 it doesn't feel like a step forward.. more like a step sideways or a very large DLC.. they really need to make some major changes before they release the next one.. I mean a whole new engine, mechanics and whatnot.. otherwise the franchise is going to get stale very fast.. it's kinda sad when you go through this site and realize that people making Mods in their free time are making bigger and better enhancements for the series than the developing team who has a multi-million dollar budget and entire teams of professionals

Edited by Liquidacid23

I more like a step sideways or a very large DLC.. they really need to make some major changes before they release the next one.. I mean a whole new engine, mechanics and whatnot.. otherwise the franchise is going to get stale very fast.. it's kinda sad when you go through this site and realize that people making Mods in their free time are making bigger and better enhancements for the series than the developing team who has a multi-million dollar budget and entire teams of professionals

Exactly, the question is how much more mileage are they going to get out of the Americana thing? It's growing staleness is the very reason this feels like a big DLC. Unfortunately for the China idea I visited Communist countries before the walls came down and unlike the 50's Americana there is practically nothing to laugh at, nothing funny at all! If you wanted to make an unbelievably bleak, repetitive world devoid of anything but the blackest humor then a full on cold war communist state would be perfect.

It says a lot when it took a catastrophe like Chernobyl to make the place interesting (I.e. Stalker).