How To Become A Modder

simplywayne90

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6615/howtobecomeamodder.jpg

I decided I want more modders out there, and to hopefully become one myself, so I've decided to create this topic in order to (Hopefully) get others started on the same path.

If your still reading thats good, I imagine some of you are frustrated that there is something you would love to see in Fallout but hate that you have to rely on someone else to make it, So lets begin

Now

Modders use either the program 3D Max or Blender to create 3D models to import into Fallout.

They also use a free program called Nifskope to tweak 3D models, either new or original.

Photoshop or the program Gimp can be used to modify textures.

And of course you need the G.E.C.K from Bethesda and the Fallout game itself in order to mod anything you've created into the game.

Edit: Also since the G.E.C.K itself can be a bit flawed I recommend looking up on the "G.E.C.K Power-Up" Which allows the GECK to be more useful and easier to use.

I double that recommendation to any future or current scripters

All those programs require time and effort to learn to use well, so most likely you won't be able to make that super awesome detailed armor from blah blah anytime soon unless your a natural software savant.

If you already know what your looking for and know the basics of the programs listed then try looking in the Nexus Articles and maybe they well help you.

I'll post more shortly, I'm having personal difficulty with a good connection.

Edited by simplywayne90

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I found some materials to better explain these topics, since I'm just begininng myself.

Hopefully Veteren Modders and Model Makers will post useful tips for us just staring out.

I'll make sure to ask some of them. Anyways moving on,

These may be old but I'm hoping are still useful

A Fallout 3 Nexus Tutorial On All The Programs Mentioned Earlier

A Niftools Explanation

Retexturing Using Photoshop

Please let me know if there are simpler tutorials or programs to use when making new textures and models,

I don't plan to cover the use of the G.E.C.K since there are MANY threads by much better users with it than me, I hope that this thread will only cover the creation of custom content such as new weapons, armor, buildings, objects, or the editing of those found in game already.

Have seen that you need to use Blender to make 3D Models, just started working with it (yesterday really, first dive in). I'm use to CS3 Photoshop and Illustrator, but haven't gone deep into 3d Modeling. Since I'm interested in making some things, what I could use is a good source for a tutorial on how to use Blender. I have a PDF that was made with picture references that I need to go deeper with now, but I haven't done a lot of searching. If you of someone else has a great place to go for tutorials on this, that would be a great help.

Lot's of things can actually be found on the nexus article guides. After that, it's more up to the modder to decide how far he wants to go. I myself didn't read any guides and just picked up NIFSkope one day with no idea how to use it xD I wanted the AS Val and VSS in my game, and saw there was only an Fo3 version. So I decided to port it. That's how I got started. So in my opinion, there has to be some personal interest for someone to become a modder.

Well hopefully the reason people will read this is because they want to make what they would like to see in fallout or to help us beginners

Wasn't trying to shoot you down or anything, just giving my input.

I actually think it's great you made the threads. But I am just saying I doubt many people will mod.

Sorry I had to type that out on an iphone since the net was down, I wasn't offended at all,

and yes I do realize modding is not for most people, most want to just play, not work to play or make it better. However if I make even one or two new modders, who knows they might be the ones making mods as good or better than the DLC, or they may make what I can't etc.

This thread is for those who've thought about modding, but never knew how to start really.

Oh also I remember an earlier post about more tutorials, well I know someone mentioned Nexus Articles and thank you by the way, and they were right the articles on Fo3 Nexus are full of them in many styles so if you find on tutorial hard to understand there may be a simpler one

Heres The link to get started ya'll

Nexus Articles -- Modding

Actually, if anyone wants to try and tutor me, I'd love to learn how to mod. I've been wanting to make a weapons similar to a Warhammer 40k Assault cannon and Autocannon for a while now, or even some new armor.

<---- *Blank slate rich for learning ^^*