Fallout: Yosemite

tokyobiohazard

Angel, once she realized this Yuo...Yoi...Yeu...thing was not a threat, closed her open mouth and glanced down to see a great glob of pork and beans that had fallen onto her leg. Frowning, she scooped up the fallen food with her spoon...and then her frown deepened when she noticed the stain left behind on her jumpsuit, "Damnit."

After a few moments, she squinted at the stranger and asked, rather timidly compared to her previous attitude with her fellow vault-dwellers, "Hunter, you wouldn't happen to know about trapping, would you? Anything worth catching around these parts?"

Lancer had followed the group through the forest while only occasionally checking their location and movement on his Pip-boy; it was clear that others in their group had already been doing so intently as they traveled. When they found the ruins of a picnic area, he did not argue as their group settled down to rest and eat. When Jessica's bench broke and crashed her into the dirt, his immediate response was to cast a glare in response to Caden's amused snicker; however, Lancer's secondary thoughts were also quickly extinguished when Izzy helped Jessica up. So, he spent the rest of his meal in relative peace until the great black bear appeared from the underbrush and into view.

Seeing the creature both intrigued and concerned Lancer as he remembered old tales his father and grandfather had once shared about terrible monsters that could rend a person asunder with razor-like claws or maul them with dagger-like fangs. Consequently, Lancer's hands immediately fell on the handles of his combat knife and hatchet, neither of which of much use against such an animal. Thankfully, his fearful anticipation for conflict was eased slightly when he who called himself Hunter emerged from the bushes, quickly explaining himself and his bear companion to Jessica. Listening to the others' questions aimed at the man, Lancer only nodded quietly as he was not very keen on participating in such a tense scenario anymore than he already had.

Jacks stood as the door prepared to open. He wore the traditional jumpsuit and a backpack slung over his shoulder along with a quiver of long arrows often used with bows. In his hands was a pre-war compound crossbow. The only one in the vault, He remembered when he chose the crossbow over a rifle he got looks but he knew that for hunting the crossbow would be a better choice. "Hopefully I didn't make a mistake." He thought as he checked the string again before sliding the sling over his shoulder and took his combat knife and tied it around his boot with the straps on the sheathe. His backpack had the usual rations, water and other assorted standard items but it also contained a pair of binoculars, a tomahawk he found in storage and some spare strings for his crossbow along with several sketch books and pencils.

He ran a sweaty hand through his hair as the doors opened and sunlight bathed him for the first time. He felt his heart begin to pound in his chest and a wide smile formed across his face. He was finally free of that prison he was born in. As everyone stepped out into the wilderness he glanced back and watched the door close.

"Goodbye." He said to himself before following his companions.

He chuckled when the Evans girl jumped into the water and everyone panicked but he remained silent. As they conversed he removed his binoculars and scanned the treeline. No animals but the view was fantastic. Everything he thought the Outside would be like. He closed his eyes and took in a deep breath, enjoying the smell and the taste of the air. This was real air, not filtered and cleaned through scrubbers and processors and then pumped throughout the Vault. This came from the trees and smelled of earth. He felt the warmth of the sun overtake him. All the fear and stress and excitement died inside of him as he basked in the warmth. When the group decided to move he snapped out of it and then followed them.

The trek didn't bother him, he mostly kept his eyes out as he walked on the flanks of the party. When they came across the stranger Jacks immediately drew his crossbow but kept it down until he saw the creature with him. He looked at it with wonder as he slowly shouldered his crossbow and removed his sketch pad from his backpack and a pencil and began drawing the creature.

"Shes beautiful." He said as he frantically sketched the creature. One of his activities as a child was to draw pictures of animals in his books, it made him into a more then fair artist. He left his old sketches behind and took several fresh sketch pads with him, he planned to document every animal he saw.

Edited by Macman253

Hunter glanced at Angel. "Plenty of stuff. Birds'll feed ya for a meal if you can get one, rabbits too but they're fast little buggers. You get to some of the lakes- not the rivers mind you, the lakes - you'll find some fish. If you're lookin' for somethin' to feed all of you, you could go for a deer. Watch out for them, though; it's mating season, the males are ornery and rearing for a fight, and I've seen those antlers gore others alive before."

"Wait-" Jessica asked shakily. "-other deer or other people?"

"Both." He answered simply. Jessica swallowed uneasily.

"Yao Guai'll give you enough food for two straight days of three square meals- that's all of you combined - if you can take one down. But you gotta be careful because one, they'll rip you to shreds." He grinned at Jessica, teasingly. "But you also don't want to kill someone's pet. Isn't that right, Luce?" Lucy nudged his hand, insisting he scratch her behind the ear again. "Damn right it is."

"I should also warn ya: if you're going hunting, make sure you put anything you hunt out of its misery quickly. Park rangers'll be all over you if you're not humane with your hunting. And waste as little as you can." He added, looking at them with a serious eye.

"Park rangers?" Jessica asked. "What, like police?"

"Something like that." Hunter confirmed. "I don't know much about them besides what they do, but really, does anything else matter?" He shrugged. "Anyway. They walk around Yosemite and keep it tidy, one way or another. Sometimes they're keeping paths and roads from washing away or keeping things from falling apart. Like that bench." He grinned at Jessica, who flushed, exasperated. Alex completely failed to notice, as he was soaking up every word Hunter said. "Other times, they're shooting up entire gangs of raiders and keeping dangerous critters away from the roads. Never once had a problem with 'em myself. Usually I'm out in the sticks, but I passed a bunch on the road once, they checked in to make sure I was safe and wasn't short any supplies."

"Do you know any history behind this group?" Alex inquired. "Are they descended from the original park rangers that used to patrol Yosemite? Are they taking up the torch, so to speak? Or is it all just a coincidence?"

"Jeez, kid, I don't know. Let's go with one question at a time."

"Well, where can we find them?" Jessica asked.

"Couldn't tell ya, this is the farthest down I ever go, usually I'm up in the mountains." Hunter shrugged. "What's with you bunch, anyway? Same outfits, not knowing the rangers or anything- hell, not knowing a scrap about Yosemite here."

"Vault suits." Jessica responded simply. "We're from a Vault."

"That'll do 'er. Everyone knows something about Vaults but I ain't met a person alive that's seen one. Or that was from one." He shrugged. "Last mention I heard of anything about Vaults or anything like 'em was something my father heard when I was barely big enough to clean a knife. Can't for the life of me remember what it was."

"That particular concept isn't one that fills me with confidence." Alex replied again, watching Hunter like a hawk, absorbing every detail.

Hunter shrugged. "Them's the breaks, kid. Can't change 'em."

"Where are we?" Jessica inquired, deciding it was the most practical question she could think of.

"Yosemite."

"I meant, where in Yosemite?"

"Not far from your Vault, apparently. I dunno what they used to call this place, or what you call it."

Jessica sighed, frustrated. "How about...are we near anything besides the Vault that's at all noteworthy."

"Nah, you kids are pretty much out in the middle of nowhere." The traveler pointed to a spot near where he'd materialized out of the bushes. "You keep following that little winder and you'll hit a big road eventually. You keep following a big road and you'll run smack into the rangers somehow, probably a patrol. Don't think there's any towns for a day or two's walking either way. You're in for a long haul. Hope you're feeling up to it."

"Can you assist us any further?" Alex asked, cocking his head a little.

"Well I sure as anything can't take you all up to where I live. Isn't enough food up there to keep you all alive, you'd have to come right back down to grab a bite or you'd start droppin' like flies. Can't go with you either, I've got some supplies my wife needs."

"Wife?" Alex asked.

Hunter frowned. "Yeah, my wife. You look like you've never heard of one."

"No, no, it's not that, it's just......you're the only person we've seen out here. It's quite odd to imagine that the area could have any population at all, even though it's logical that it probably does."

"Er-" Hunter's frown deepened for a moment. "-anyway. I can't help you any more than giving you some advice. I got just enough of my own supplies to last me the trip home and I"ll be lucky to get there before tomorrow. Your best bet's gonna be to find the rangers, they'll help you out. Probably." He stood up. "Now unless anyone's got any more questions, I gotta get goin'. Keep on that trail 'till you hit the road, then pick left or right and walk 'till you bump into 'em."

"Thank you." Jessica said as he made to prepare his gear.

Jon Looked around the park trying to imagine what it was before the war. He imagined parents bringing their children with them to play and have fun in the park, it was a nice thought and it made him wonder if its still possible to have such a thing happen here, at this time. He watched as the group talk to each other and try to make a resting place from the remains of the park, It was good to have a group that is holding together and not having arguments or worse hostile attitude towards each other. It was also a good thing that he still remains almost as an invisible man among them, so he kept to himself and didn't want to bother the others.

Jon sat on the park's ground and took a small bite from his food. He didn't want to eat too much so he can save what he have for what is to come. He wondered what kind of food the people living outside the vaults eat. Is there even food and water out there that isn't irradiated and poisoned?.

The moment Jon heard the movement in the bushes he stashed his food and stood ready for whatever creature lurking in the bush. However he was surprised when he saw that the black creature was actually a human's pet. It made him curious about the creature and how its human master actually tamed it.

The animals which Hunter described made Angel's mouth water for more than just canned pork and beans. She reluctantly shoved the rest of the contents of the can into her mouth heaping spoonfuls at a time until she got it all down, albeit not without a strong urge to gag, and then hefted her pack back onto her shoulders, "Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go...I can't wait to test some ways to trap fresh game."

Lancer considered all of Hunter's information with a grain of salt, figuratively speaking. While the man was clearly more experienced and knew much more about Yosemite than they themselves did, Lancer was still suspicious of what was true and what was not. After the group asked all the questions they wished before Hunter made his departure, Lancer begrudgingly approached Jessica.

"Since you're the closest to a leader we have, I'd be interested to know your take on those rangers." Lancer inquires. "Until we meet them and their "standards," I'd also suggest keeping our happy little hunters from getting too many ideas."

To describe Lancer as cautious would have put it lightly, as he was borderline paranoid in regards to those rangers who safeguarded Yosemite. If someone as seasoned as Hunter was wary of them, a handful of Vaultie greenhorns such as themselves should tread through the forests with the utmost care.

whoops, wrong RP XD ignore this

Edited by Flipout6