Arcangel - The Beginning

Kethruch

Welcome to Arcangel!

It is the 4th of June in the year 1048 AK (After Kayl’s death and the splitting of the kingdom) by the reckoning of the West. The kingdoms have been at peace for many years, and most of the kingdoms have been prosperous.

The spring thaw has gradually warmed into the halcyon days of early summer. All around, there is activity as the flowers and herbs have bloomed and the spring births have filled the forests with life.

Each of you have come to the city of Toof with specific duties to fulfill, and you have fulfilled your duties as best as you could. Now, your future is ahead of you. You’ve already decided that a normal life is not for you, that you could not endure the boring, humdrum existence of the rest of society. The local talk is that if you want to find action, start at the “Puking Toad”.

You have found the “The Puking Toad”. While you expect the seediest dive you could imagine, instead you find yourself among well dressed, well behaved men and women. You are met with exquisite scents of well-prepared beef and dewback, a local meat that is kind of a cross between a cow and a hedgehog. The décor is nice without being ostentatious, bright without being gaudy. To your right, a number of ladies and gentlemen are conversing in one wing of the tavern, while to your left, a dining area is set up with serving girls running around with trays heaped with all kinds of breads, meats, and cheeses. Straight ahead of you is the bar - a high, well polished counter made of some dark wood at which are several stools, only two of which are empty.

“Greetings!” the tall, heavyset man standing behind the counter yells as you walk in with some others. “Oh, and for our elven friends ‘Aiya! Mainen linna aselye? ’ Welcome to “The Toad”. I haven’t seen you here before. Let me tell you what we can offer you today. If it be food you’re looking for, our dining hall is still open, though just for a short time more. If it’s some good conversation, well, our sittin’ room is to your right. You know, I really don’t know why we call it the sittin’ room – it seems as though everyone likes to stand!” He lets out a great baritone guffaw at his own joke, even though it’s most decidedly practiced.

“Oh, and if it be information or jobs you’re looking for, the postings can also be found in the sittin’ room. And, lastly, if you just want to drink, then I’m your man, Markham the Iniquitous. We’ve got lots of stools, and no waiting. What’ll it be, good gentles?”

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOC:I'm guessing we should write in the first person...

And on the sheet I am trying to accomplish my 'great task'. How would I come to get my task?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I nodded my head to the man behind the counter in thanks. he heads over to the sitting room, and looks at the postings.

A tall, dark haired, human female in sturdy travelling clothes nods to the barkeep. A slight swish of ring on ring gives away the fact that under those travelling clothes, she is wearing mail. In another life, she might be considered pretty, but the scar on her oval face running across her nose and cheek has seen to that. She continues into the bar, looks around, and tries to decide where to go. Seeing a general movement toward the sitting room, she heads there as well.

An elvish woman steps out of the group, pushing back the hood of a worn gray cloak as she walks into the main room. To an untrained observer, she appears 20 years old at most, young looking even for an elf. The calm grace with which she moves, however, is more appropriate to a veteran warrior. Her plain clothing retains a few hints of her previous week of travel, and the curiass visible under her cloak shows the bright streaks that mean only one thing: recent battle. She carries a pike and longbow slung across her back, both easily accesible if any threat appears. Between that and the aura of confidence surrounding her, most of the taven's patrons move aside almost unconsciously.

Dismissing the man's false friendliness with a nod of understanding, she walks past him and to the dining area. She takes a plate of bread and cheese, then scans the room for anything of interest. Since most of the crowd seems to be gathering in the sitting room, she takes her food and walks over to the job postings.

Looking intently at the job board is a young man in rather foppish attire. His manner and bearing are those of someone who has been pampered through his life, and his delicate hands are apparent as he reaches out to some of the numerous notices on the board. “Amazing, isn’t it.” He declares as the first of the newcomers approaches him. “Not a single job worthy of someone of substance.” He sighs deeply, turns, and startles when he sees the elves approaching. “Though,” he quickly continues. “I guess that there are always things that start small and become hero’s work. What kind of thing are you looking for?”

The job board is fairly full of notices, many of which seem to have been there for quite some time. The titles are in some cases very descriptive, and in others, humorous.

ADIN THE WAYFARER HAS ESCAPED AND IS WANTED BY THE TOOF GUARD

BRING ME A COPY OF “THE DWARVEN BALLERINA”

I AM LOOKING FOR MITHRIL. BRING ME ANY AND I’LL PAY TOP GOLD

LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO PICK UP A DELIVERY IN LIGHTHOUSE POINT

GUARDS BEING SOUGHT FOR WATCH AT DIG

PLEASE DELIVER A SEALED PACKAGE TO THE COSTAN CAPITOL

I AM LOOKING FOR A NUMBER OF ITEMS

DELIVER A PACKAGE TO MIDDLEWOOD

PLEASE PICK UP A LOAD OF IRON IN WOODEN AND DELIVER IT HERE

I HAVE LOST MY RING. IF ANYONE FINDS IT, PLEASE BRING IT TO ME

FEED THE POOR – BRING DONATIONS TO THE TEMPLE OF CORITHALION

I HAVE A MYSTERY FOR YOU TO SOLVE. ROYAL REWARD POSSIBLE

PLEASE DELIVER A DELIVERY FOR LIVERY

UNCLE MELIAS WANTS YOU!!!!!

MY DAUGHTER IS MISSING. PLEASE FIND HER FOR ME

TOP GOLD PAID FOR ALL ITEMS OF DWARVEN MAKE

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT’S BEYOND THE KNOWN WORLD – DO YOU?

OOC - I will be away from access to a computer for the next couple days - see you all on Sunday Night/Monday (US east coast time).

The notice asks those interested to see Waring Beadel at his current archaeological dig among the tombs of the kings, just north of the City. The walk is long, and takes you through many of the boroughs of the City. Along the way, you see a number of people in rugged garb - more than you recall in the city.

Back at the Toad, the foppish young man spouts off. "That was rude!" He says, a surprised look on his face. "I had always heard that the elves were a noble and gentle race. He was, well, downright brusque, not what I expected at all! Imagine such a noble being as that taking on a job as menial as guarding a worksite! I guess I'll have to review my thinking on elves." He turns to see another elf approaching. "In all my life, I thought I would be lucky to see an elf, and now, here, I see two in the space of a few minutes." He bows deeply. "Welcome to Toof, milady. I hope the day finds you in good health."

(To Helstar, though she does not know his name)

So, my name's Melisande, and as long as we're going to apply for the same job, I figure you might want to know something about me. I may look rather wimpy, but I can swing a sword with the best of them, at least i was best in my family.

She adjusts her pace to be exactly that of the elf next to her.

Archived