Arcangel - The Beginning

Kethruch

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The man, taken by surprise, quickly changes his attitude. "Okay, okay." he says, gently pushing the knife away from his throat. "You've made your point." He pulls back, adjusting his neck as he does so.

"We've got a situation here that needs some quick help. The find I have here is of great importance to both the church and the crown. What I've found is a possible tomb of one of the old ones, the beings that were here before men set foot on the world. As far as anyone knows, they never made elaborate tombs for their dead, but, here I've found a polished marble crypt, with the heiroglyphs of the old ones on it. With the power these beings supposedly had, an intact tomb could mean we might even find out about the origins of the gods!" He gets very excited as he finishes.

Helstr looks down into a hole that is at least twenty feet deep. Even at that depth, a polished white surface is visible.

"The workers I had were all laborers. I need someone who can stay at the site and won't run at the first rustle of branches in the night breeze. During the day, I need someone to help me figure out how to get in this structure - Oh, by the way - you can't see it because it is the hole - it's been buried for over 5,000 years. If you help me, I'll make you a limited partner in this."

"Is that better than finding some bloody book?"

"You read my mind," Alenee replies. "I saw your job offer in the tavern, and thought I'd at least see what the full deal is. So I guess we have some things to talk about." She follows the man into the building.

Alenee

He leads you into a well lit structure. Strewn across a large wooden table are all kinds of maps and diagrams, mostly in disarray. He reaches over and sweeps a section of the table clear with his arm. "Come, sit." He pulls a chair up to the newly cleared area. Without waiting for Alenee, he continues. "I am the chief overseer for the building of the tomb for our current king. As long as I have been on or ahead of schedule, I've been paid, and everything is fine." He gathers up a bottle, and places two glasses on the table. He shows you the bottle, offering a drink.

"Now, however, there have been some problems. I am starting to fall behind, and that means the king does not look on me with quite so favorable an eye. If you can solve these problems for me, I would be in your debt, and I'm sure the King would be most appreciative as well. The mystery seems to have something to do with ghosts, which have all but halted construction. Are you interested?"

"Well, I'd hate to think I'd come here for nothing, so I'll take the job. Sure, thank you," she says, accepting the offer. She takes a drink from her glass, then continues. "I'll of course need to know everything you know. Just what exactly are these problems? Oh, and a letter of royal approval for my actions would be helpful... if its active sabotage, I doubt merely askning nicely for information's going to get me too far."

Helstar makes a sour smile towards the large hole, and then turns back towards the man with the same expression.

"I'm up for it. After we talk pay of course." Helstar's expression turns into a more serious one.

"1000 gold. Upfront. 3000 once the task is completed. You pay all expenses, and I... no... we... get paid a percentage because we will be as you offered, partners." Helstar turns again to Melisande.

"Sound reasonable?" He asks her.

OOC - Just a reminder, low power, and the base is not gold

mithril = var gold

gold = 10 silver

silver = 10 bronze

bronze = 10 copper

copper = 10 tin

tin = base unit

most people never see anything above silver in their life, and coppers are the most common of the coins. a family can live on a few bronze a week

Alenee

Bengt's face brightens as you accept his proposal. "I don't have a lot to pay you, 30 silver is it, but you can keep any loot of anyone you find that's causing this." He takes a drink, wiping his mouth with his sleeve. "As you can guess from my last statement, I'm not wholly convinced that this is a supernatural occurence. All I ask is that you stop it, and that you keep me apprised of your progress."

"As far as what I know, the problem started when we started clearing the land to the east of the tomb. There are tombs all over the hill up there, and the workers became convinced that, with the strange things happening, that we had disturbed some old, unmarked tomb. The workers reported things floating around, being attacked by shovels, and strange noises and voices. They kept working until one of them was injured, supposedly pushed into the path of a large block. I'd start in the East, and figure out what's up fom there. As for the royal approval," he says, scrawling a note. "Here, this is my approval to do what needs to be done. As long as it's related to this case, it will indemnify you. I hope that's enough, it's all I can give you."

"Oh," he adds as an afterthought, "You might run into some agents of the crown seeing how things are going. Please work with them, not against them. I can't afford more negative reports, and the king is looking into the problem as well."

Helstar and Melisande

"Surely you jest." He says, an incredulous look on his face. "I've got 100 bronze for you up front, and 500 more on completion, plus any loot you find. Let's seal this with a handshake, and all of us can get to work."

He looks back at Helstar, then laughs. "What say we split the difference? 150 and 600, and I'll throw in mention of you for the discovery if you hang around and help me explore the excavation." He looks at the two of you, then, with a much more serious tone adds "That's all I can afford, honestly."

"Well, I guess you've got a deal. I'll be back if I have any more questions for you." Alenee takes the note and slips it into a cloak pocket, then picks up her weapons and walks out the door. Once outside, she heads off towards the east end of the tombs. On the way, she surveys the area for anything of interest.

Archived