Arcangel - The Beginning

Kethruch

Finding no apparent reason to speak, Altarus does his best to look a little less imposing than usuall. A difficult task, considering his circumstances. He tries crossing his arms, but his minds eye simply pictures him as some steel-faced brute in comparison to the well composed priest before him, and eventually he succumbs back to his original pose and focuses more on Portia's words.

Most of the story he has heard before, but it doesn't stop him from paying close attention to the detail anyway. He was still trying to keep the details straight, everytime he would try to remember some past event the others spoke of, he found that he remebered less then he may have first believed.

His jaw suddely set with a sharp sort of anger at Tiemmo's mention of their fallen ally. He had only so far heard very breif mentions of the person, never with great detail, though, as he watched this group more and more, he began to like them more and more... When they hurt, he felt a small portion of their pain. And as they rejoiced, he began to feel a bit of their happiness. He remembered someone once speaking of this as attachment. He let his jaw slacken a bit then, his thoughts already carrying him away from the conversation, if only for a mere instant.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiemmo says. "I was not with them at the start of their quest but they made no reference to the lady having spoken to them before. Perhaps they would not if it was private. I heard her later, after Melisande had gone. I do not know which gods she worshipped."

He pauses then adds. "She gave me food. I never remember anyone giving me food before."

His voice fades as this small act of kindness seems to have become overwhelming in his memory. Pulling himself together he continues:

"When you have a moment, can you tell me of my vision of the axes? This gentlemen (he nods towards Horonos) was rather too - excited - to be entirely coherent."

June 05, 1048 1210

"Interesting," says Parr, a puzzled look on his face. "I again am sorry for your loss, but unless we know, there is little I can do for her." He looks at the three of you in front of him then again looks puzzled.

"Even without the fact that you saw the vision of the axes, there seems to be not one, but two prophecies in play here." He finally says. "The death of the friend, the finding of the one between worlds, seem to point toward the prophecy of the Claw of Laraud. The others seem to point toward the Book of Spirits. Interesting that your group could be the crux point of not one, but two great prophecies." He shifts his focus to Portia for a minute.

"Hmm. There seems to be a relation to the Astolathar's Ward with you, my child. I think that you may have more names to come. If you are involved with the Book of Spirits as well, you could be indeed a very busy person." He turns to Tiemmo.

"You are definitely in the Astolathar's Ward, my friend. The fact that you have lost a friend and are looking for revenge tells me so. There are a number of references to the 'Revenger' in that prophecy. I am not sure what role you play right now, but I am sure that you will fit that part when it comes." He pauses again.

"Here I am getting ahead of myself, though." he says with a chuckle. "I know of the circumstances of the prophecy, but you would not be here if you did. How silly of me!" He motions you over to an area where you can sit comfortably, continuing his story along the way.

"Just after the death of Cayl and the splitting of the great kingdom, there was a great religious war that swept through the lands. The Southern Zoites (a people from the Kingdom of Zo) swept over the other new kingdoms, conquering and spreading their religion across the lands. The hordes seemed unstoppable, especially since their leader carried a great talisman that made all who tried to stand before it crumble as dust to the ground."

"The leader here in Toof, however, the great King Astolathar II, gathered the Storm and set out meet an vanquish this marauding army. He brought with him a great Talisman of his own, the Claw of Laraud. They met in a great battle at a river in the southern part of the kingdom (the old kingdom, that is, before it was broken up) and they fought for a day and well into the night. Finally, Astolathar and the Zoish king met and the Zoish King looked to strike a blow by killing Astolathar using his talisman, and Astolathar fought back with his. The two titanic forces met, and there was a great blast. At the end, the two talismans were destroyed, but the Kings were left dazed and confused. The destruction of the Zoite talisman, though, had a great effect on the armies from the south. It seemed as though half their number simply vanished, and those that left seemed to have lost the will to fight. They were pushed back to the river, and decimated to the last man."

"The fight took its toll on the King, however. First of all, he was dismayed that the Southern King did escape the field somehow. Secondly, he seemed to have lost his mind afterward. He became a recluse, and became more and more paranoid as time went on. Eventually, he became know as the 'Mad King' and died, supposedly still clutching the only thing that seemed to matter to him, the shattered remaining piece of his talisman.

"The Prophecy talks of the reforming of the talisman at a time when the Northern Kingdoms require its aid. There have been other movements that we have heard of that would seem to point to another meeting of the forces of good and evil that is upcoming. It does not surprise me that this prophecy seems to be rearing its head at this time."

"There is a mention of you in a piece of prophecy that has always haunted me, I read it once long ago, and have never been able to get it out of my head. Perhaps that is because it was meant for me to point you to it. Prophecy is a very powerful force in the world, much stronger than any really know." His voice trails off for a moment and he seems distant, then he returns.

"A warrior maiden of the north woods, destined from birth to a position of greatness, shall find no peace or comfort except by recovering and restoring Astolathar's Amulet. Brave and strong shall she be, and with her will go the Daughter of the Mountain, the Hermit, the Son of the father, the Forest Friend, the Divided one and the One Between Worlds. Friends shall come and others shall go, but where she is, will she know?"

"The White Horse rides over the Sky,

Darkness fleeing under its hooves,

But when it's gone the dark returns,

And the cold emptiness once again burns."

"Yet the white horse struggles to free the land,

From the darkness' icy cold hand,

With hope that someday it will win,

It will, if it can find strength within."

"There was a great spill of ink then, and the letters were not decipherable by many means we tried. At the end of the ink spot, it continued. 'For if she is to fail, then darkness shall fall over all the land, and the light shall be forever put out.'"

He pauses again and takes a couple of breaths. Somehow, it seems as though a great weight has been lifted from him. He even appears a little younger perhaps. Finally, he turns to Tiemmo.

"The visions of the Axes show someone who is to perform a great feat for the Arcangelican church, or at least that is the interpretation that is put upon them. Whether the person really was destined, or made it his life's work to do something after seeing the visions, we are never truly sure. The visions seem to center around visions of the founder's life and death. More than that, we really do not understand. I am sorry I cannot be more specific for you, but perhaps it is tied to Astolathar's prophecies." He sits back, and takes a deep breath. "Now, I am sure you have questions. Please feel free to ask them. As of now, I am at your service as long as you require."

Altarus takes a deep, slow breath, as though the words on his tounge needed to test the air before they were let out. "Do you have any indication of what exactly the Claw of Laraud did? Or any knowledge of why the kind would have held it so dear?" His stance had shifted a bit while Parr was explaining, and the big man now seemed to be a little uneasy with all this news.

June 06, 1048 1212

Parr looks at the big man. "No, I am afraid there's nothing in any literature about what it did. The thing of it is, though, it was not the amulet he was so protective about, but the little piece that was left. When he died, he was buried in some secret spot. There is little here on it, perhaps someone at the castle could help you out." He looks at Altarus and the others, then back to Altarus. His gaze hardens somewhat, but is not threatening. "Are you sure we haven't met? I have an overwhelming feeling that I should know you, but somehow I don't. What was it that you were called by the voice?"

Tiemmo looks at Portia. "Are we to search then for the small piece of the talisman buried with the king? And can we assume that the rest was not destroyed but somehow broken up. For unless that is so I do not see how we can make it whole again. Will the one piece somehow 'call' to the others? We need a PLAN!"

"Fairly so, yes," Altarus responds, in a sure tone. He recalls the names that he heard them mention, refrencing him as... "The one between worlds, if I'm not mistaken." It seems as though he might say more, but thinks better of it in the end. Though he does cast a sidelong glace at the others before returning his attention to Parr.

Linden looks appraisingly at Paar for a moment. "Sir there is another thing I feel you and your bretheren should know about. Something else which happened the night when Melisande was killed." She took a deep breath and hurried on as if the telling of the tale quicker would make it less horrifying.

"Some of us (nodding to Alenee and Eruanion) found an undocumented tomb. We had been contracted by Bengt Reevelord to look into mysterious happenings around the tombs by the Hill of Kings and we literally fell into it. We found a crystal and we put it in the effigy's hand and then tomb well, it blew up but wasn't destroyed. Then there was a sarcophagus with a skeleton and these orbs which spilled fog and the fog sucked the life out of another companion, Jouko. The fog turned red and the crystal was in the skeleton's chest and it started beating like a heart! And then it attacked us! I tried to dispel it and it's eyes flared with recognition when I named it. Sir... I believe that it was the tomb... of Astanth, Sir. We fought it and destroyed the skeleton, but I fear that we may have set things in motion....evil things. "

June 05. 1048 1214

"The Tomb of Astanth!?!" Parr says, his voice raised to a level where the activity around in the temple actually comes to a stop. "That is dire news indeed." He pauses for a second and then continues after taking a deep breath.

"I am sorry for raising my voice. The news is just, well, you couldn't have known. The legend of Astanth has an interesting sidebar to it that is little known that has to do with the Arcangelican temple, that is all." He turns to Linden. "And has a great deal to do with you, my friend. But it just is one thing of many that need to happen before any of us worry that the evil one walks again upon this earth.

The dead kings tomb when opened, when found

Releases the wards, of keeping him bound

Though try as they might

To thwart evil's might

The Temple must fight, lest he be re-crowned.

We've been protecting against that for hundreds of years. Bengt, you say was the one who was looking? Interesting, and he was such a good patron, too."

"Yes, Tiemmo." Portia says, looking at the man she is gaining more and more respect for. "I think that is the plan. If we are done here, Parr said we should try at the castle to see if they had any ideas where Astolathar was buried. After that, I would only hope that the way would be made clear after that."

She curtsies to Parr. "Thank you for your time, milord." And slowly backs away, heading back for the door, trying to pick up the stragglers as she does.

Archived