Heavy Triple Shotgun

abborre

My proposal is: lets make a shotgun that fires three 20 gauge shells at the time. It could be a heavy weapon based on the grenade machine gun and exchange the barrel for a triple barrel and the grenade drum for a revolver cylinder sorta like THIS: http://gizmodo.com/5908568/triple-barrel-revolver-makes-anyone-an-expert-marksman

Am I the only one who thinks this would be awesome? Fallout lacks in both heavy weapons and diverse, unique weapons. And as far as shotguns go, there are plenty of mods that adds fully automatic ones, but I would like a shotgun with a more moderate rate of fire, that does a ridiculous amount of damage per shot instead! And it'd be nice to see a shotgun mod that isn't just another pump- or break action shotgun.

It would also be cool if the weapon had a few bonus effects, like increased stagger and/or stun and/or knockdown chance and/or ignoring X amount of damage threshold, to simulate how particularly powerful each blast from the weapon is.

I think this is a mod that should be made, it seems like it'd be relatively easy to make if the weapon is based on the grenade machine gun.

If you have any thoughts on this idea, please let people know :smile:

Thanks for the response, but as I said, I was mostly looking for something with a really good punch rather than rate of fire (and something that doesn't do a ridiculous amount of damage using weak ammo), preferably something heavy looking.

My proposal is: lets make a shotgun that fires three 20 gauge shells at the time. It could be a heavy weapon based on the grenade machine gun and exchange the barrel for a triple barrel and the grenade drum for a revolver cylinder sorta like THIS:

If you leave the drum the way it is, and add two barrels then it would be a relatively easy change. Creating a new cylinder to replace the drum would be at least a new model and transform controller (for the rotation), and that's if you don't add any niVis controllers to the shot shells, or change the animation etc. I think it's very unlikely anybody is going to put that together for you.

It would also be cool if the weapon had a few bonus effects, like increased stagger and/or stun and/or knockdown chance and/or ignoring X amount of damage threshold, to simulate how particularly powerful each blast from the weapon is.

Pretty easy to do.

Am I the only one who thinks this would be awesome?

Honestly I don't think it would be a particularly popular mod if it's based on the grenade machine-gun, but if your willing to forgo changing the drum into a cylinder I can put it together for you.

Really? Thanks, that'd be really cool! The reason why I suggested it'd be done they way I did was because that kind of 3x6 revolver cylinder I showed seemed like the most realistic way to get a gun that can fire 3 shells at a time, and I figured the grenade machine-gun already had some of that basic shape going on, with the drum kinda having the potential to being converted to a revolving cylinder, meaning that reload animations and such would work fine.

I did realize that it'd require a new model, but I'm not really just requesting this mod just for myself, I was rather hoping that perhaps a ambitious modder (the kind of people who makes lots of from-scratch models) would find the idea interesting enough that they'd do it for fun and for the whole community. But if you feel that you could make something like what I described, with me specifically in mind, then I would certainly be grateful for any amount of effort you give it, you probably know the best way to make it better than I do. It would probably still look pretty cool even if the drum remained unchanged.

NP brother. I'v got a few requests ahead of you, but I'll try and start it this weekend (since it's a very quick mod with only the changes I listed in my post). If you want to go into more detail on the specifics of the bonus effect(s) or the full 20ga ammo list or any other aspects, just post em.

OK did a quick beta;

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/FONV%20Mods-works%20in%20progress/triple2_zpszujiln5q.jpg

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/FONV%20Mods-works%20in%20progress/triple1_zpsvho1bati.jpg

Vid;

Needs a new "clip" made of shotgun shells (not sure if I'll have the time/skill/interest to do that, have to copy over the transform controller). You didn't mention if you wanted it kept as an automatic weapon or not. There is some shimmering on the barrels which probably means some meshes have overlapping textures, I need to scale those back a tiny bit. The display needs to be added via nifskope (not sure if I'll have the time/interest to do that), blender doesn't know how to export the texture swapping node.

Here is the first beta.

Neat!

I had imagined the barrels to be placed in a triangular pattern and line up with the drum in such a fashion that the weapon could conceivably be based on the same principle as the triple revolver I showed earlier (I like for weapons to feel believable), but this works fine to. I also realize the weapon could perhaps use some simplifying, the barrels don't really look like something on a shotgun, I'm pretty sure it makes no sense to have that kind of muzzle suppressor on a shotgun. If the weapon is also supposed to be an oversized revolver I also don't really think it makes sense for the barrels to move.

It could probably also use some striping down, the GMG is suposed to be a long range support weapon, so it makes sense for it to have those gadgets, instruments and screens, but this weapon is more of an assault weapon, so it probably shouldn't have that unnecessary screen or those bits on the right side.

Also, I noticed the backpack of the GMG is missing, which sin't a big deal, but I'd prefer if it was there so I could feel like my guy is carrying some ammo for his weapon with him.

Something I hadn't anticipated also hit me when I watched the video; the weapon only ejects one shotshell casing per shot, eventhough it's supposed to fire 3 at the time. I don't even know if this si possible to fix, since the game may not allow it. In that case I suppose it might be best if the weapon simply ejects no casings at all, implying that they stay in the cylinder like on an actual revolver.

Regarding atomization, I had imagined the weapon not being fully automatic, though that's something I could fix myself, I'm not COMPLETELY helpless when ti comes to GECK.

Anyway, you're the one making the mod, all of these are just suggestions, I'm in no position to make demands.

And once again, thanks for what you've done!

Neat!

I had imagined the barrels to be placed in a triangular pattern and line up with the drum in such a fashion that the weapon could conceivably be based on the same principle as the triple revolver I showed earlier (I like for weapons to feel believable), but this works fine to.

Yeah taht can be done if there isn't an issue with space on the front surface. Essentially two barrels on top with one below to form the triangle?

I don't think I'll have a chance to do this part, but you could have two concentric "rings" for the "clip" instead of the single ring, with the smaller ring feeding the lowest barrel, as per your revolver pic.

I also realize the weapon could perhaps use some simplifying, the barrels don't really look like something on a shotgun, I'm pretty sure it makes no sense to have that kind of muzzle suppressor on a shotgun. If the weapon is also supposed to be an oversized revolver I also don't really think it makes sense for the barrels to move.

Yeah the animation on the barrels could be removed. Did you want three shotgun barrels there instead?

It could probably also use some striping down, the GMG is suposed to be a long range support weapon, so it makes sense for it to have those gadgets, instruments and screens, but this weapon is more of an assault weapon, so it probably shouldn't have that unnecessary screen or those bits on the right side.

I could probably remove those items if it doesn't leave any exposed faces.

Also, I noticed the backpack of the GMG is missing, which sin't a big deal, but I'd prefer if it was there so I could feel like my guy is carrying some ammo for his weapon with him.

That's no problem to add back in.

the weapon only ejects one shotshell casing per shot, eventhough it's supposed to fire 3 at the time. I don't even know if this si possible to fix, since the game may not allow it. In that case I suppose it might be best if the weapon simply ejects no casings at all, implying that they stay in the cylinder like on an actual revolver.

Yes it is possible to alter the ejected casings, I did it with a 10 gauge shot shell.

Regarding atomization, I had imagined the weapon not being fully automatic, though that's something I could fix myself, I'm not COMPLETELY helpless when ti comes to GECK.

OK, just keep in mind it's not as simple as just ticking off the animation check box, you also have to find a grip and attack animation that work together, so you'll be trying several combinations before you get the right one that fits that weapon as a non-automatic.

Anyway, you're the one making the mod, all of these are just suggestions, I'm in no position to make demands.

And once again, thanks for what you've done!

NP :thumbsup:

Yeah, it would probably look best if the barrels where more like something you'd find on a shotgun, so if you feel like changing that, that'd be cool. About the ammo cylinder, the "3 x 6 pie slice" design only really make sense if the barrels look they line up with one of the "slices" of the cylinder. If it doesn't do that, the sliced pie design doesn't make much sense to begin with, and if you do do something like that it still doesn't really matter what the cylinder looks like, it's only visible so briefly during reloads that I won't really notice that it doesn't have the unique design. Tough, come ot think of it, I myself might even be able to simply edit the DDS for the weapon and give the cylinder the appropriate number of 20gauge slots to make it look the part.

Regarding the ejected casings, I know you can decide what the ejected object looks like, but what I was talking about was the number of casings ejected, if it fires 3 shots at the time, ti has to eject 3 casings at the time, or none at all. Again, thanks for the response and willingness to help.