Romance/Relation Mod?

atomicspacekat

Something has been bugging me about FNV-the total lack of romance. Not sex, because there's plenty of it in game but there's no romance. Sex mods, sure but no romance/relationship mods. I just can't see spending so much time with an NPC, fighting side by side, killing Fiends and Legion assholes but the option never coming up for any romance/relationship. With the possibility of dying at any moment, in real life it's more likely than not it would happen.I'm going to try to learn how to use GECK because I'd like to create a mod where you could have an option for Boone, Cass, Veronica or Arcade depending on your affiliation and perks. For example, if you choose the NCR, have the right perk and a high enough reputation AND Boone gets one of the good endings, you could have an option where you go together off into the sunset (similar to the ending in Casablanca between Bogart and Raines, where Bogart says "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" and the movie fades out).

With Veronica, the same but you'd have to chosen the Cherchez La Femme perk, completed the Brotherhood of Steel quests, become a Paladin (and not ousted McNamara as Elder) and get an ending with a good outcome for the Brotherhood. The Courier could be coy and initiate the conversation by saying something like "You know, I'd really like to see you in that dress. In private" Maybe give her a sexy dress-why not, she deserves one for having to wear that horrid monk hood.

For Arcade, have the Confirmed Bachelor perk and choose the Followers of the Apocalypse; for Cass, you'd have finish as an independent and have gotten the evidence on McLafferty and the Van Graffs. Cass is interesting-she may be bisexual so it may not matter what perk you have. I may be able to confirm that in GECK-I'm not sure.

Raul; interesting. I'd have to give it some thought but clearly, some Fallout characters have ghoul fetishes.

Lily...well. Super Mutant romance with her might be...dangerous, if not downright fatal (she does think you're her grandchild so just by suggesting it you'd trigger a psychotic episode...which might be funny). Not going there with Rex/ED-E (although I'd be cool with making an option for the mod that makes ED-E look human; the player could have the option modify Ralph's sex holotape and upload it into ED-E's program).

If the player fails any of the checks, you'd be turned down and depending on the outcome, the NPC would wish you the best or express their hope you get

eviscerated by a Deathclaw.I don't necessarily want to include any animations of actual foreplay/sex since there's enough of that out there if that's your thing; unfortunately, I'm new to modding this game so I'd need to work with someone who could help me. But I really want this in my game.

Anyone up for this? Suggestions?

*edited to remove the weird HTML tags

Edited by atomicspacekat

Mainly this is due to fallout is meant to be a sarcastic and funny game, with violent homicidal tendinces, but still a comedy. See Fallouts 1,2, and tactics.

So any romances would be horrible, like in Fallout 2 females could marry a guy reputed to have sex with local cattle, or males could shotgun marry the town flirt with her father and a shotgun in his back.

Thats as close to romance as Fallout ever will get Period.

however through the power of modding there are some alternitives, so let me direct you to another thread like this.

Girlfriend Mod

This has been discussed elsewhere with a lot of support. Most of us interested in it have wondered out loud (errrm... typed it?) why it was never part of the game in the first place? After all, FO2 had options of marrying a young woman or her brother depending upon your characters preference - not gender! :)

I like your ideas, but I'd like the romance to be part of the game play, not just a happy ending. But hey, go for it, it is still an excellent idea either way.

If you don't mind, and as this is a forum, I'll put forward some of my take on the characters.

ED-E: Not much romatically you can do with this unless you go into some sort of philia - I don't know what the name of the philia would be for technology/robots? Androidaphilia? LOL - it is probably out there on the net somewhere! Basically, if you can think of something, there is probably someone that has a sexual interest/philia in it which would make for wanting to have a romantic relationship for it. As for turning ED-E into a humanoid, there is a mod (Plastic Trees?) that puts a life-like female android in the same place as ED-E and I think you take one or the other as a companion, Ed or her?

Boone: Boone has a whole lot of baggage and I don't see him wanting any romantic connections within the scope of the game. Even the endgame suggests that he re-enlists and sees out his years killing raiders and the like. He's a man's man - not gay by any means, but he has no interest in suffering a loss ever again, I mean he is probably very deeply scarred. At least for several years...

Cass: Yep. Some are sure she is outright bi, I believe that she has enough inhibtions to suppress that unless she has some social lubricant in her and is just plain horny. She comes from the NCR and as one of the officers in the NCR Outpost points out, he can't get into a relationship with another man no matter how much he likes the fella, he is part of the NCR and it isn't as openly accepted as it is in this region (Nevada?). So I would suggest she IS bi, just hides it and you'd have to be a special woman (the courier of course) for her to show public affection - but in private...! So yeah, works for male or female characters.

Veronica: I love what you have, totally agree!

Raul: Yep, I do imagine there is a related philia to ghouls too. However, I don't believe ghouls reproduce as smoothskins do, and I'm not sure if it is cannon or not, but I somehow had it in my head that the required parts don't function for that sort of fun? Having said that, it is pretty much cannon that ghouls can't grow head or facial hair, but there are notable exceptions I believe - one in the vanilla FO3 (or is it a wig?), and the other in the DLC for FO3 in Point Lookout (which is definately a Van Dyke facial suite).

Arcade: I like your original idea.

Lily: Psychotic, but on medication AFTER the end of the game - not a safe bet I would think during it?

Rex? Say no more, he's just a loyal pet.

What I'd like to see is a mod that could select (depending upon the player, and upon the character's Charisma) one or more romantic interests of either sex that don't accompany our hero on adventures, but who can be left in a town (in an available dwelling of somesort if they don't already have one) or in the charater's 'home base' whether that be the Lucky 38, or Novac, or the outskirts of New Vegas, etc.

Regardless, I still like you idea in general.

I would like to avoid getting dragged into this. However, I can't help but chip in with a few things:

1) With Cherchez La Femme and a high speech, Cass has dialogue where she explicitly says when she gets liquored up she doesn't care who she winds up in bed with. Alco-bi, if nothing else then.

2) Raul, the subservient vaquero, seems to be a good match for Beatrix, the dominant cowgirl. Like eerily good.

3) It isn't a Vegas wedding unless you have the option of having it done in a drive-thru and/or officiated by an Elvis impersonator of decidedly non-caucasian ethnicity.

3) It isn't a Vegas wedding unless you have the option of having it done in a drive-thru and/or officiated by an Elvis impersonator of decidedly non-caucasian ethnicity.

On that note there is a thread discussing someone adding in a vegas style wedding chapel, I'll connect you to their thread

Vegas Love Chapel

Also maybe add a preacher like the drunk father in Fallout 2's New Reno

Well, if a Vegas wedding chapel would be involved, I'm actually working on one now. It's part of a bigger radio station mod that I uploaded the other day. I don't have any plans to include romance options, but if somebody wants to use any resources or cells if and when it gets finished, that'd be cool!

-edit- Well I'll be! looks like SimplyWayne beat me to my own plug! :biggrin:

Edited by DorostheConqueror

I apologize for beating you to the punch, but as you all know I take it upon myself to connect any and all relevant mods to one another, (and occasionally plugging my own ideas more so than I probably should be) =P

However I know that under the girlfriend thread I connected a mod or two that have some romance options I believe,

and I've made a topic under mod talk for voice actors and those who need them, since everyone has a voice its been quite popular, although no female voices as of yet so you'll need to wait before we get a voiced romance mod for the gentleman (and lesbian) folk.

@ The Roc: Of course I don't mind your thoughts, that's why I posted. :)

Not thinking so much of a happy ending but a way to keep playing with your favorite companion when a stable extended gameplay mod is done. I found I used Boone more than the others but I wish I had used Veronica/Cass and Arcade more often. Also, this could be a way to spend more time with a NPC that you didn't utilize.

@ Yukichigai: Beatrix/Raul getting married in a Vegas style wedding with The King officiating-awesome!

@Simplywayne90: I had come across the Girlfriend mod thread but not the Vegas Love Chapel discussion-thanks for the heads up.

Well, if a Vegas wedding chapel would be involved, I'm actually working on one now. It's part of a bigger radio station mod that I uploaded the other day. I don't have any plans to include romance options, but if somebody wants to use any resources or cells if and when it gets finished, that'd be cool!

-edit- Well I'll be! looks like SimplyWayne beat me to my own plug! :biggrin:

I'm definitely looking into your mod, :)

This has been discussed elsewhere with a lot of support. Most of us interested in it have wondered out loud (errrm... typed it?) why it was never part of the game in the first place? After all, FO2 had options of marrying a young woman or her brother depending upon your characters preference - not gender! :)

I like your ideas, but I'd like the romance to be part of the game play, not just a happy ending. But hey, go for it, it is still an excellent idea either way.

If you don't mind, and as this is a forum, I'll put forward some of my take on the characters.

ED-E: Not much romatically you can do with this unless you go into some sort of philia - I don't know what the name of the philia would be for technology/robots? Androidaphilia? LOL - it is probably out there on the net somewhere! Basically, if you can think of something, there is probably someone that has a sexual interest/philia in it which would make for wanting to have a romantic relationship for it. As for turning ED-E into a humanoid, there is a mod (Plastic Trees?) that puts a life-like female android in the same place as ED-E and I think you take one or the other as a companion, Ed or her?

Boone: Boone has a whole lot of baggage and I don't see him wanting any romantic connections within the scope of the game. Even the endgame suggests that he re-enlists and sees out his years killing raiders and the like. He's a man's man - not gay by any means, but he has no interest in suffering a loss ever again, I mean he is probably very deeply scarred. At least for several years...

Cass: Yep. Some are sure she is outright bi, I believe that she has enough inhibtions to suppress that unless she has some social lubricant in her and is just plain horny. She comes from the NCR and as one of the officers in the NCR Outpost points out, he can't get into a relationship with another man no matter how much he likes the fella, he is part of the NCR and it isn't as openly accepted as it is in this region (Nevada?). So I would suggest she IS bi, just hides it and you'd have to be a special woman (the courier of course) for her to show public affection - but in private...! So yeah, works for male or female characters.

Veronica: I love what you have, totally agree!

Raul: Yep, I do imagine there is a related philia to ghouls too. However, I don't believe ghouls reproduce as smoothskins do, and I'm not sure if it is cannon or not, but I somehow had it in my head that the required parts don't function for that sort of fun? Having said that, it is pretty much cannon that ghouls can't grow head or facial hair, but there are notable exceptions I believe - one in the vanilla FO3 (or is it a wig?), and the other in the DLC for FO3 in Point Lookout (which is definately a Van Dyke facial suite).

Arcade: I like your original idea.

Lily: Psychotic, but on medication AFTER the end of the game - not a safe bet I would think during it?

Rex? Say no more, he's just a loyal pet.

What I'd like to see is a mod that could select (depending upon the player, and upon the character's Charisma) one or more romantic interests of either sex that don't accompany our hero on adventures, but who can be left in a town (in an available dwelling of somesort if they don't already have one) or in the charater's 'home base' whether that be the Lucky 38, or Novac, or the outskirts of New Vegas, etc.

Regardless, I still like you idea in general.

Mechanophila or robophilia-while I love robots and mecha, I don't love them that way ;) But I did have the Plastic Trees mod in mind.

Boone could be a possibility, especially if he comes to terms with his demons-as player. you may end up making a series of dubious kills yourself so it's probable you'd have your own share of guilt and thus have much in common together. Anything could happen when you're sitting around the campfire, sharing a bottle of whiskey... Agree with your take on Cass but it's Veronica that made me think about doing this-I wish she wasn't so bugged; otherwise, I'd have spent more time with her outside the Brotherhood quests. And I do love Yukichigai's idea of a Raul/Beatrix pairing.

I suppose what I'm aiming for is a relationship/romance/deep friendship mod. When I have more time to sit down, read the other threads and really think this through I'll let you all know.