Help me choose my GPU

notmyhome

I'm almost finished with my new build, only thing missing is the Graphics card.

I'm trying to choose between a good 280X, a medium 290, or a cheap 970.

Target resolution is 1080p, but I'd like a decent ENB and some neat textures. Since I've never played Skyrim on anything but Low settings, I can't really gauge how much memory it'll use up; thus the 3GB, 3.5Gb and 4GB VRAM card.

I'm not playing any other games, but I'll use the build for some light CAD, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your time!

I can run many enbs from low to high mid on a solid 60 fps outside, with the grass size set to 20, with everything on 2k on the screen res of 1920x1080.

I have the power color brand, some say it noisy and hot. But my case has thankfully a good cooling and air flow. I only hear a purr when in heavy load and it blows cold air most of the time.

Edited by Boombro

However, make sure it look for a better brand if you can. Also it worth to notice my flora and grass mods are for low-mid pcs (ground covers and TR HD)

Also, if you plan to crossfire it later and use an enb. Make sure to look up yellow screen fix.

Oh yes I forgot!

If you wish to play a lot of the last farcry, assassin creed games and bioware, pick gtx. The r9 290x can still do it, but you have to lower the screen res a bit. It because the game dev and gtx makers were best buddies while making the latest.

Edited by Boombro

Save up a bit and get the ASUS Strix or the MSI GAMING for the GTX 970. The Palit doesn't have good cooling, never mind that it doesn't look cool :P

Edited by ZeroKing

Save up a bit and get the ASUS Strix or the MSI GAMING for the GTX 970. The Palit doesn't have good cooling, never mind that it doesn't look cool :tongue:

I really couldn't care less about the looks, since my case won't have a window, but if the Palit's cooling is an issue, I might have to reconsider. You seem to know your stuff; what do you think about the Zotac?

Thanks for your advice.