All you need to know about Vampirism

Povuholo

I thought i'd make this thread so the answers to all the vampirism questions can be found easily, since those questions have been very popular.

Let's start where it all starts.

Getting infected with vampirism

First of all, you will need to find a place with vampires. An easy one is Barren Cave, which is east of the imperial city, along the road to Cheydinhal.

The vampire disease is called 'Porphyric Hemophilia' and can be obtained in two ways:

• Let a vampire hit you with fists, melee weapons or ranged weapons. Magic won't do. You could also kill the vampire, and keep accessing the inventory (open and close) until you've caught the disease.

• After completing Vicente Valtieri's quests in the Dark Brotherhood, he will offer you something he calls the 'dark gift'. That's vampirism of course. You just have to go to sleep, and he will bite you then. When you wake up you will have the disease. You will still have to sleep for three days to actually become a vampire.

Preventing your character from turning into a vampire

• If you don't get the disease, you won't become a vampire. So you could drink some resist disease potions, cast a resist disease spell or wear armor with a resist disease enchantment.

• When you DO get infected, you don't turn into a vampire immediately. It takes three days*. When those three days are over and you go to sleep you will become a vampire. If you go to an altar of the nine divines or drink a cure disease potion before the three days are over, you'll be fine.

* I had a character who was infected with Porphyric Hemophilia, but I didn’t cure it. Because I didn’t sleep for over a week, I wasn’t a vampire yet. When I slept, I turned into a vampire. I didn’t want that, so reloaded the autosave before I slept and got myself cured.

Later I got infected again and something strange happened. I slept in less than a day since I was infected, and I turned into a vampire! So if you cure the disease after the three days, there is a chance that when you get the disease again, you will turn into a vampire when sleeping even when you were infected just an hour ago.

Vampirism: Advantages and Disadvantages

Some skills and attributes will get bonuses when you are a vampire. The attributes that get a bonus are Strength, Willpower and Speed. The skills that will get a bonus are Acrobatics, Athletics, Destruction, Hand-to-Hand, Illusion, Mysticism and Sneak. Besides that you also get Resist Disease 100 % and Resist Paralysis 100 %. You will also get some lesser and greater powers, depending on the stage you are in.

How much your attributes/skills are boosted, depends on the stage of vampirism you are in. There are four stages, 25% vampire, 50% vampire, 75% vampire and 100% vampire. If you don't feed within 24 hours, you will advance a stage. You can't get higher than 100%.

When you feed, you will be back at 25% vampire. The skill boosts, powers and negative things you received at 50/75/100% vampirism will be gone too, until you don't feed for 24 hours again.

25% vampirism: +5 to Attributes and Skills, 5% Resist Normal Weapons. Lesser Power: Hunters Sight. Negative effects: Weakness to Fire +20%.

50% vampirism: +10 to Attributes and Skills, 10% Resist Normal Weapons. Lesser Power: Hunters Sight. Greater Power: Vampire Seduction. Negative effects: Weakness to Fire +30%, Sun Damage +1 (You will lose 1 health every second you walk in sunlight).

75% vampirism: +15 to Attributes and Skills, 10% Resist Normal Weapons. Lesser Power: Hunters Sight. Greater Power: Vampire Seduction. Greater Power: Reign of Terror. Negative effects: Weakness to Fire +40%, Sun Damage +4. You will look a bit undead, which means people will have a lower disposition towards you.

100% vampirism: +20 to Attributes and Skills, 10% Resist Normal Weapons. Lesser Power: Hunters Sight. Greater Power: Vampire Seduction. Greater Power: Reign of Terror. Greater Power: Embrace of Shadows. Negative effects: Weakness to fire +50%, Sun Damage +8. You will look even more undead. People will now realise you are a vampire and they will refuse to talk to you. No more buying, selling, or doing quests (except for the Dark Brotherhood) for you.

The powers

Lesser Powers: (can be used as much as you want)

Hunters Sight: Night-Eye 30 seconds on self, Detect Life 100 feet for 30 seconds on self.

Greater Powers: (Can only be used once a day)

Vampire Seduction: Charm 50 points for 20 seconds on target.

Reign of Terror: Silence for 60 seconds within 20 feet on touch, Demoralize up to level 6 for 60 seconds on touch.

Embrace of Shadows: Night Eye 90 seconds on self, Invisibility 180 seconds on self.

Feeding

Quite simple. Break into a house (or walk into an inn) and find someone who is sleeping. When you press activate (Like you would do when talking to someone) you will get a few options. If you are sneaking you can choose between pickpocket and feed and if you are not sneaking you can choose between talk and feed. When you feed on someone there is a small chance he wakes up. If that happens, you will get a bounty. If someone else sees you feeding they will react.

Curing Vampirism

Unless you downloaded the official mod Vile Lair, curing Vampirism is not easy. It's not fun either. There are a few people who can point you in the right direction. People at the temple in the Imperial City, someone in one the churches, or Vicente Valtieri.

Everyone will tell you to visit Raminus Polus at the Arcane University. After speaking to Raminus Polus, he directs you to Count Janus Jassildor in Skingrad, who also has been searching for a cure. Talk to Hal Liurz in the Skingrad Castle County Hall, and he will get him for you. The count needs the cure too (but not for himself) so he tells you to visit the witch Melisande, in Drakelowe. This is where it gets bad. Before Melisande helps you, you will have to give her 5 EMPTY Grand Soul Gems (will now refer to them as GSG’s). Empty GSG’s are quite rare, so I will give a short list of where to get them:

• A trap door is hidden in the fireplace in Melisande’s house. In the basement there you can steal one empty GSG.

• Close to Drakelowe you can find the Squandered Mine. It has an empty GSG somewhere.

• You can buy one (one?) at the Bravil and Leyawiin mages guild (be sure to buy empty ones). I’m not sure about the others.

• You can buy one (one?) at the Mystic Emporium shop in the Imperial City Market District.

• You can find one in the dungeon of Miscarcand too, which is west of Skingrad.

When you bring the 5 GSG’s to Melisande, she will take them and tell you what ingredients to gather for the potion:

Two Bloodgrass: That’s the red tall grass you can find anywhere in Oblivion. They can be bought in some alchemy shops as well.

Six cloves of Garlic: Can be found in many homes on the dinner table or hanging around, especially in Skingrad.

Five Nightshade leaves: You should be able to buy those at “the main ingredient” shop in the imperial city market district. You can find some southwest of Skingrad. You can also find some at "The Main Ingredient" in the Imperial City.

Blood of an Argonian: Melisande will give you an enchanted dagger which you have to use to get the blood. You don’t have to kill an argonian, just stabbing once is enough. Remember attacking someone is a crime, so don’t go nuts in the middle of a city.

Ashes of a powerful vampire: You will have to kill the vampire Hindaril, who you can find in the Redwater Slough cave. When you kill him he will have the Ashes of Hindaril item instead of the regular vampire dust.

Bring all these items back to Melisande and she will start making the potion. You will have to wait 24 hours. Do so outside the house, or Melisande will consider it trespassing and attack you.

After 24 hours, Melisande will have the potions ready. She will give you both potions, one is a potion, one is a miscellaneous item. You can drink the potion whenever you want, but the miscellaneous potion (which you can’t drink) is for the count. Bring the potion to the Count of Skingrad and finish the quest. I’m not going in depth on what happens because you got what you wanted: Freedom!

Bugs

Unfortunately, there are a few bugs in the cure vampirism quest that haven’t been solved by the official patch:

Bug: When you have finished the main quest, the topic bloodgrass will disappear. This means you can’t give Melisande the bloodgrass.

Solution: Open the console and type:

MS40.cureready to 1

This will make a new topic appear so you can take the potions.

Bug: If you give Melisande the ingredients at 11 PM, she won’t leave her basement anymore which means you can’t get the potion.

Solution: Open the console type this and wait 24 hours. Don’t do it at 11 PM, or the bug will occur again.

set MS40.currentday to GameDay 
set MS40.currenthour to GameHour 
set MS40.cureready to 3

I hope you all understand everything now and Vampirism topics are no longer needed. If you found any mistakes or if I missed something tell me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note: I think Garlic has a Cure Disease primary effect. It might be Ginkgo or something else, though.

Am I the only one who thinks that's a bit... Ironic? I know it has something with disease. If it isn't cure disease, it would be resist disease.

By the way did you know Vicente Valtieri is the ONLY vampire who can be killed by garlic? If you sneak it into his inventory he will die. :ph34r:

Pin?

Note: I think Garlic has a Cure Disease primary effect. It might be Ginkgo or something else, though.

Garlic has Resist Disease. It is Clannfear Claws that have Cure Disease as its first (raw) effect. Eating raw Claws is enough to cure Porphyric Hemophilia (not bona fide vampirism).

Am I the only one who thinks that's a bit... Ironic? I know it has something with disease. If it isn't cure disease, it would be resist disease.

By the way did you know Vicente Valtieri is the ONLY vampire who can be killed by garlic? If you sneak it into his inventory he will die. :ph34r:

oh yeah... it was on that note he wrote to Ocheema (or whatever her name is)... About one of the people in the sanctuary who cooked something with garlic :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Now that this is back:

The ingredient I was thinking of is Mandrake Root.

Root Pulp (I think you can only find this ingredient in Alchemy shops) has this raw effect too.

I always keep a good supply of Mandrake Root and Root Pulp on me for such occasions :)

• 3 weeks later...

Does the 100% Resist Disease remain after you've been cured?

Are there any quests that require you to be a vampire, or any that cannot be done after being cured?

EDIT: Forgot to ask: Is it worth contracting vampirism and getting it cured in order to get the immunity to diseases, assuming that it does, in fact, remain after curing? I already have 5 empty GSGs stocked up.

<Nested quote removed>

Root Pulp (I think you can only find this ingredient in Alchemy shops) has this raw effect too.

I always keep a good supply of Mandrake Root and Root Pulp on me for such occasions :)

As does shepherd's Pie, although that may be a unique ingredient.