Just got morrowind any major mods I need

Deleted19575669User

Wow. XP? I know the much talked about XP-ocalypse hasn't happened yet but... good luck with that. So, no, UAC and folder virtualisation won't be affecting you.

For the guards, to protect from NPCs grab Fliggerty's Protective Guards from Morrowind Modding History (requires MWSE, embedded in MGE and MGE XE).

If you're wandering around Seyda Neen and don't see any commoners or guards or what have you then MCA doesn't sound like it's working right.

The Morrowind Code Patch will stop rain coming through overhanging balconies and the like but I think that's as good as it gets.

Really not sure about what you mean by the baby sounds... Try it without Atmospheric Sound Effects & Better Sounds loaded, those two probably change the combat sounds.

And, yeah, posts in this forum get loads of views and not many posts.

I didn't tend to hang around here until a year or so ago when I noticed a whole load of people asking for help and no-one was helping, thought I'd help out where I could. Most people who'll post about these things are over on the Bethsoft official forums

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as I see it Dragon, there's prolly not many left using XP, so crims won't be bothering with us too much. (everything I've got at least 2 of is crossed though!)

I'll look for the protective guards mod.

What I meant about the NPC's, is : there don't seem to be any more than normal in the streets apart form the few sitting beggars and people fishing, which I think are from a different mod. I've 'talked' to some NPC's and they call themseleves 'commoner' etc. but they all have proper names, so you're prolly right about MCA not working properly. I seem to remember something from the MCA mod page thing (which has the description and 'manual download' links etc.) saying something about MCA needs another mod, but I thought it was included in MGSO, so maybe that's the problem? I'll have to check it out later.

The 'baby' sounds are beginning to annoy me now. I'll try and find those sound effect mods you mention and do what you say.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by seany65

Just looked at the MCA 'page', and I was wrong about it requiring some other mod. Other mods are recommended for a better experience.

Maybe I just installed it incorrectly? What i did was was unzip it here : C: Local Disc - Program Files - Bethesda Softworks - Morrowind.

Just had a look at my Data Files (I presume yuo mean " C: - Local disc - Games (changed from "program files") - Bethesda Softworks - Morrowind - Data Files " ?

Anyway, no, I can't see MCA.esm in there. It also doesn't appear in the launcher. I'll unzip into there later and see what happens. I seem to haver version 8.1.

Well I got it working by unzipping MCA to " - Morrowind - Data Files ".

That is, it worked for a while. There were several ptroblems that cropped up. There was that weird old-time one from years ago in which the game 'crashed' after exiting the game. You know the one, you exit the game and the screen goes black but then 'freezes' and when you do the 'alt-ctrl-tab' thing you get a message saying 'game not responding' etc. That happened quite a lot this time. Anyway, I decided to do the 'smart thing' (Huh!), and do a full re-install, as I thought maybe the fact that I'd 'moved' the game from 'Programs' to 'Games', may be affecting this.

Over about 5 re-installs I had various problems which stopped either the game running (one caused by an 'MCA skirt' file or something being missing!), other faults were that MSO couldn't find Morrowind.exe (I think) so it couldn't run the 'Exe optimisation' part of the install.

One time I installed Morrowind GOTY directly to the Game folder. When I came to install the patches and other stuff, niether 'Bethesda Softworks' nor 'Morrowind' folders were in the games folder, just some other bits.

Anyway, I've done a re-install of Morrowind GOTY in the 'Program' files. The game works so far.

I suppose I'd better check a few things.

I now install the patch 1.6.5 and 1.6.6beta to

"C: Local Disc - Program Files - Bethesda Softworks - Morrowind." Yes?

Do I install MGSO to this same folder or the " - Morrowind - DataFiles" folder?

Where do I put the MGSO patches, like 'ice cave texture fix', 'MGSO door fix', 'MGSOv3 jms patch v5', 'MGSO deadric armour fix'?

I know I put the dopey NPC's in the data files bit.

I'm going to leave the MCA stuff out, if only to see how well the game wiith all the other stuff works.

Thanks again for all your help Dragon32.

Edited by seany65

I noticed that my winrar had the box for 'subfolders' grayed out as it's a fee 'trial' version, which I've had for yonks, and I think that may be part of the installation problems I've had, so I went fo the 'zip genius' mentioned in the first post of thast link you gave, Dragon. Although the description of the appearance of that program differs from what I'm seeing, I think I'll be able to get the hang of it.

I'll have another look at that link to see what it says about the patches 1.6.5 and 1.6.6beta, as I'm not sure whether to shove them in ' - Morrowind - ' or ' -Data Files'.

ESMs and ESPs go in Data Files.

DDSs go in either Textures or Icons

TGAs go in Icons (although some older mods distribute textures as TGAs)

NIFs go in Meshes

WAVs go in Sounds

Pay attention to subfolders.

Very few things should be installed in your Morrowind root directory (e.g. MGE / MGE XE)