The Nexus invites you to Fright Night

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,422 posts
Recently the folks in the Nexus chatroom have been having a good laugh at a YouTube video regarding the relatively new horror game Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I shall warn you now, the video is Not Safe For Work and contains swearing (and over the top sillyness) but if you want to watch it and have a good laugh you can find it here.

Posted Image

The game

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a horror puzzle game where the player character awakens in a dark castle with Amnesia. The player has left notes for himself around the castle as to why he has given himself Amnesia and what has happened in the past to get him in to his current situation.

The game is widely heralded as a nice change from the norm and a return to some properly good horror rather than the ďthings jump out at you and go booĒ or the ďI have a BFG so I couldnít care lessĒ horror games of recent years. Indeed in Amnesia there are no weapons to fight back with. If you see something that looks unnatural you run and you hide. But donít hide too much, and donít stare too much at whatever it is trying to find you because you have a sanity meter. Spending too much time in the dark might just be worse than running from that creature trying to find you.

Amnesia has scored very highly among critics; meta critic aggregates the overall review average to 86%.

The background

Many folks in the chat said they donít get scared by games or that they didnít think Amnesia looked very scary. Itís fair enough; a hysteric American screaming ďNo no no no no no no....What do I DO!?Ē while his friends laugh at him probably takes quite a bit of the sting out of the horror, so I invited some folks who boldly exclaimed to have no fear to give the demo a try. Several have reported back saying they were mistaken and that yes, games can make their underwear change to a different colour.

Some of us, however, arenít so deluded. In particular myself and Myrmaad both agreed that we would not be touching the game because we value our sanity (and our underwear).

Iím not afraid to admit some games scare the living daylight out of me, especially first-person shooters. Hell, I donít play with any music in Oblivion or the Fallout games so Iíve been known to jump out my seat when something hits me from behind without me knowing. Yes, Iím that bad.

The premise

This led me in to having a good idea. How about hosting an evening of playing through the Amnesia demo together? People interested can download the demo, download Mumble; the free to download/use VoIP software and log on to my Mumble server and weíll all play through the demo at our own pace individually. Everyone sets their Mumble to ďall talkĒ so that we can hear everything going on; every person that jumps, every person that welps, and every person that screams ďWHAT THE BLOODY DICKENS WAS THAT?!?Ē (that would be me).

I (and Iím sure others) will be recording the Mumble chat and the game as I play it and Iíll make a video out of it for all to see and hear afterwards. Itís a chance for me to show just how much of a pansy I am but also have a laugh and do something silly with some other members of the community.

Wait, thereís more

Everyone that participates will be entered in to a draw to have a full copy of the game bought for them. A winner will be picked at random. Just for fun 

What youíll need

• A copy of the Amnesia demo installed and ready to go | Download mirrors
  • A microphone or webcam with built in microphone
  • Mumble downloaded and installed on your system | Download mirrors (I shall provide the server details and FAQ later)
  • Black or otherwise already dark underwear

What I ask

Please try not to play the demo before joining in with us. Itíll be better if the experience is new for everyone so we can all be as scared as possible.

What to do now

In order to get this done I need to organise a date and time we can all play together. Iím in the UK and Myrmaad is in the US. I can stay up quite late (gawd, thatís so not good for the scare factor) so unless thereís a good few people outside of the US weíll try and arrange this for a US timezone.

If you are interested in joining in please reply to this thread stating your interest and your preferred day(s) of the week and time to do a play through (remember to add your timezone, or, if youíre clever, give it to me in GMT!). I believe the demo isnít too long so your entire evening wonít be taken up by this.

If it all goes well, who knows, maybe weíll do a play through of the entire game considering it only costs £12. Maybe Iíll have come out from my hiding place under the table in time to do it all over again...

Time: 12am (midnight) GMT, 7pm EST

Date: Saturday morning (12am) GMT

Friday, December 10th (EST et al)

Connecting to the Nexus Mumble server

• Download Mumble from their site
  • Install Mumble as you'd install any other software
  • Go to Server -> Connection or press CTRL + O to bring up the "Mumble Server Connect" window
  • Click "Add New..."
  • Servername: Nexus
  • Address: 195.90.99.195
  • Port: 58657
  • Username: Your nexus forum username

If the Mumble server goes down for any reason then use the forum chat to coordinate :)

Turning off "All-talk" so we don't get feedback from your speakers/mic

All-talk basically means as soon as your microphone picks up a noise it will transmit it. It's good in some situations but particularly bad if you don't have or aren't using a headset. It's probably best, considering the number of people who have said will be taking part, if everyone turns all-talk OFF to avoid potential issues. It means we might miss out on a few screams and crying, but hopefully you'll quickly learn to press your talk key before you wet yourself... ;) To do this:

• Go to Configure -> Settings
  • Under "Transmit" select "Push to Talk" from the drop-down menu
  • Go to "Shortcuts" on the left
  • "Push-to-talk" should be in the list. Change the key shortcut to whatever button it is you want to press in order to talk to others on Mumble

You are welcome to come on to the server and chat/listen even if you're not going to play the demo. The Mumble server will be up from now until Friday and myself and a couple of others are sat in it most of the time; so come on in before the night and get all your settings sorted out so we don't have to wait for you on Friday :)

JimboUK

JimboUK

There's someone watching me, I can tell.

• Premium Member
  • 46,367 posts
Sounds fun, well maybe fun is the wrong word. Will the usual Nexus language rules apply? when something makes me jump I do tend to swear without thinking.

TheVampireDante

TheVampireDante

Domnitorul armatei strigoi

• Moderators
  • 26,824 posts

What I ask

Please try not to play the demo before joining in with us. Itíll be better if the experience is new for everyone so we can all be as scared as possible.

That puts me out because I'm already playing the full game...

But this idea would be fun to watch, seeing how everyone else reacts to this game, I'm having a blast!

Thandal

Thandal

Faithful Kobold Companion

• Moderators
  • 23,176 posts
I'm ALL IN, if the time works in my zone (UTC-5:00) :thumbsup:

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,422 posts
No the usual language rules will definitely not apply.

JimboUK

JimboUK

There's someone watching me, I can tell.

• Premium Member
  • 46,367 posts

No the usual language rules will definitely not apply.

Oh good I wouldn't want to be banned as well as change my underwear. I'm downloading it off Steam at the moment, 403mb for those interested.

alonsomartinez

alonsomartinez

:O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
American here as well -.-

I would be interested

Eiries

Eiries

Green is my Pepper

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,578 posts
Posted Image

O HAI U GAIZ TALKING ABOUT ME!?

Aight.

I bought the game the day after it was originally released. The demo does a great job of showing the mechanics and that general primal fear that will make you be on your toes the whole game... but it's very short! So don't be expecting a long evening.

The game is absolutely incredible. I highly recommend it for anyone that does not have heart problems! Keyword: Immersion! High volume, low lights! Bring a few extra changes of underwear while you're at it!

If you like the demo, buy the game! Does the company good, and it is worth every drop!

To everyone trying it out for the first time: have fun; it's an experience one doesn't get to have too often!

Cheers!

Edited by Eiries, 07 December 2010 - 02:51 AM.

slygothmog

slygothmog

The Bishop of Barton Wells.

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
Got the demo....got mumbles up and running ( i hope )....wont play till the day. It takes a lot to scare me, so i'm looking forward to this.
England is my country btw, but i can be on any time.

Olurum

Olurum

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I've also been playing the full game... I'll be coming along to just listen silently (or perhaps snigger at every scream of terror :biggrin:).

It would be amazing if people decided to get the full game after the event and continue playing a bit. :D

Since I'm not a real participant it probably doesn't matter but... I'm also from the UK.

Edited by Olurum, 07 December 2010 - 07:27 AM.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.969 seconds