FALLOUT3.exe - Application Error

7thsealord

May well be that this problem has been thoroughly solved elsewhere on this forum (Ghod I hope so!). If so, I apologize, and could somebody please refer me to the right place?

Fallout3 GOTY (plus FO3E, FOMM, Archive Invalidation and G4WL Disabler). Windows XP. Computer a few years old but, with settings pared back, I have no major problems running FO3. Except this specific problem, natch.

Keep getting the following message.

-----------------------------

FALLOUT3.exe - Application Error

-----------------------------

The instruction at "0x00627180" referencedmemory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "run".

Click on "OK" to terminate the program

Click on "cancel" to debug the program

(Followed by Microsoft's usual 'Error Report')

Frankly, the above has become the bane of my existance - if my FO3 game goes bad, it is via this exact same message every single frackin' time. It seems to crop up after I install a largish mod, but persists even after that mod had been completely removed. So far, the only "solution" seems to have been to do a total uninstall / reinstall (saving the Save and Data files separately). Needless to say, that's gotten old real fast. This time, I re-did the whole game from the ground up - everything, and that #$%^&* message turned up within the first 2 or 3 rounds of saves.

Tried Google, which referred me to the 'd3d9.dll'. Assuming I placed it right (in the Fallout3 folder, right?), all this seemed to do was prevent FOMM's FO3 launcher from working and keep the game stuck in a permanent state of loading.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by 7thsealord

Thank you for responding, TT.

Lessee, running through System Properties - Windows XP Pro, SP 3, Athlon 64 X 2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, 2.01 Ghz, 3.0 Gb of RAM. Assuming I have looking for the right thing as regards display drivers (probably not ;) ), that's NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT.

Now, for all I know (bugger all, I freely admit) people are throwing their hands up about now, and asserting that FO3 CANNOT be stabily run on the above. Fact is, I have. Gotten at least one character up to level 20+ with a buttload of small-to-middling mods and with no problems other than a very occasional random crash - and the big problem mentioned above (which doesn't happen always, but when it does ...). When the latter happens, it is as if a switch has been thrown - doesn't matter if I literally take a chainsaw to all the mods added up until then, the problem will persist for all games saved up to that point.

If I want to keep playing the game when this happens, the only option so far has been to make copies of my Save and Data files, then do a total uninstall / reinstall of the entire game, pray that my clean-up has been thorough enough (the problem can persist), then move the saved files back into position and (hopefully) carry on.

I should also add that the message ONLY crops up for FO3, not for any other program on my system (admittedly, none are likely to be nearly as demanding as FO3, but there you go).

Also, it SEEMS to be connected with adding sizable mods ('sizable' being 1 meg or more), but not always. Suppose I could stop using any mods, sure, but I have no way of knowing whether or not this problem will sneak up on me regardless. Also, there have been a couple of VERY large mods ('AFS Brisbane', for example) successfully run without triggering this problem.

Googling '0x00627180' turns up a number of results directly connected with FO3. Seems that this may not be a one-off problem as such. A few vague solutions offered, a couple upholding the virtues of adding the 'd3d9.dll', but I thought that if anybody knew for sure, they would be here on this forum.

Whilst there may be something rattling around in my computer that is part of the problem, it is very hard to get away from the idea that most of the problem is on FO3's side. Any advice (other than "Get a better computer" or "Perform radical surgery on a system that is otherwise working very very well" ) would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by 7thsealord

I got the same error message, this happen when i'm using Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch then load saved games..the error message will appear when go to main menu and game stopped. Uninstalling this mod might be can help. if you are not using that mod, mightbe you could check your mods that modified a cells (with placed object).

Installing d3d9.dll in fallout3 folder was not recommended (and won't help the problem) as this will forcing the game to run which the system was not designed for, usually used by user with integrated graphic cards (such as laptops),this may cause instability on your system.

Autosave was just about the first option I shut off. I save frequently via the manual menu, if just because of more routine crashes. Does seem like frequent saves reduces the incidence of crashes in general for me.

Also doesn't seem to be any correlation with whichever cell I'm in. And I don't have the Unofficial FO3 Patch like Bandit Ngeback. Painstakingly going through the game mod by mod by mod by mod on the off-chance that this problem will conveniently manifest on cue for one but not others has less-than-zero appeal.

Thinking back, the VERY first time this cropped up (I think) was the 'Beware Of Girl - TwoTone Beretta' mod. It was in a selection of recommended mods a trusted friend sent me very early on. Yeah, I know now - maybe too much graphics-wise for my system but, at the time I figured that if the system couldn't cope, it would let me know, I'd pull the mod out and that would be it. Instead, ended up having to do the uninstall / reinstall thing (leaving the BOG mod completely off, by the way). Everything was fine for a while (probably because I didn't add much for quite a while), but then the same problem would crop up here and there. As I have said, the only means I know of dealing with this has gotten really really old.

I do not blame that particular mod and I do not believe it "did" something to my system or anything, but it was the first especially demanding mod I installed and it had this problem. Other biggish mods haven't.

Friend speculates that there is a language problem with the game, because Bethesda (in their infinite foresight :rolleyes: ) omitted various "unnecessary" codes which have subsequently been used by a great many modders. Allegedly, to deal with this one needs to install something called the 'Extended Language Library'.

Taking this one with a grain of salt, because I'd have thought it would be resolved early on via one of the more routine add-ons or patches (I understand that GOTY has everything up to the official 1.7 patch). Checked around, and I certainly haven't found any references to an 'Extended Language Library' so far.

Edited by 7thsealord

Maybe your friend is referring to FOSE (Fallout Script Extender)? FOSE is used by many mods and, if you have an active mod that requires FOSE but you do not have FOSE installed then you will not be able to run the game. Never tried running the game without FOSE so I've no idea what actually happens, but I suspect it may well result in some sort of crash error.

I see in the first post there's no mention of FOSE being installed:

Fallout3 GOTY (plus FO3E, FOMM, Archive Invalidation and G4WL Disabler)
So, just in case, even if you've installed FOSE previously, I suggest you install the latest FOSE.

If installing FOSE doesn't fix the problem, post your mod Load Order (run FOMM, then "Load Order > Copy to clipboard" and then paste it into your post) and we can take a look to see if there's anything glaringly obvious that might be causing problems.

I do suspect that you're either missing FOSE completely or that you have an older version of FOSE with a mod that requires a newer FOSE version!

Edited by Grizzly_UK

:ermm: Ohhh-kaayyyyy, looks like it could be an extremely embarassing oversight on my part.

Thank you muchly for that, Grizzly_UK. Up until now, I had basically assumed FOSE = FO3E (don't ask why - then again, I've only been playing FO3 for a couple of months). Given how much FOSE's importance is repeated just about everywhere in connection with FO3, this could make a major differance, I'm sure.

I'll work on getting FOSE installed (thank you for the link) - right after the obligatory repetition of "I Am A @#$%^&* Idiot" and a few dozen self-administrered headslaps.

Thank you to everybody else for their assistance. Hopefully, I will be on my way again shortly. But if anybody else has any other insights (other than my obvious need for an IQ transplant ;) ), please feel free to make them.

As my old high school science teacher was fond of saying, "When in doubt, read the instructions ..."

Edited by 7thsealord

I can reduce my problem with that error message lately with disabling the DEP.. Mightbe you could try to disable DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and select Fallout3.exe for exception, as this has worked for me.

To disable DEP..Right Click My Computer >> select ADVANCE Tab >> Settings >> Go to Data Execution Prevention >> Click option "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select"...then browse to your Fallout3.exe and ADD it. You need to restart after it to take effect..