TUTORIAL- How to Create A New Radio Station

DorostheConqueror

Thanks a lot apixaez, finally I actually got my radio on the air in-game, and it's awesome!

As I've been reading through several posts in this thread while trying to make my custom radio station work, I found that many people encountered the same problems I went through, so it would be nice to help future readers, posting some troubleshooting hints that helped me.

WARNING: I'm using GECK for FO3, not NV, but I think that the editor's dynamics should be more or less the same. After all there are no relevant differences between the two GECK variants, so just try to follow on and see if it may help you, I don't grant it but... you know, just try.

-----------------------------

First of all, I've managed my .wav files using AUDACITY, a freeware software (link if you are interested), not because I don't like Goldwave but because I just already had Audacity installed on my pc =)

As I said, I exported the files correctly, but they didn't play in GECK because I actually did forget some steps.

Here's what has to be made:

in Audacity, when you have imported your track, there is a little black arrow pointing down next to the file's name. If you click it you'll open up the menu. As previously said in this topic, we want our outcome files to be 16-bit PCM 44100 Hz monochannel WAVs:

1. In the menu: Set sample format > 16-bit PCM

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7279/1sample.jpg

This will set the correct bitrate

2. Same menu: Set rate > 44100 Hz

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4995/2rate.jpg

This will set the correct sampling rate

3. Probably our track is stereo, but we want mono, so simply: Split stereo to mono

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6390/3split.jpg

Now there are 2 monochannel tracks, generated from the previous stereo channels. Don't worry, those two will be merged during the exportation.

4. Export: File > Export.... Be sure to select the right format: WAV (Microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/748/4export.jpg

A dialogue box should inform us that the two tracks will be merged into a single monochannel (IF you didn't disable the dialogues, clearly), and we are happy because that's what we wanted.

Now, our tracks are ready to be imported in GECK, and they should work. I can't assure you about this, as well as I can't be sure that all these steps are effectively needed to make a track work, but they SHOULD, so I suggest you give it a try.

Oh yeah, so after following these steps again again for all the something-like-5968036596056093 (lol) tracks I wanted to be played by my radio, I launched Fallout and my radio was still silent... Dammit.

But then I readed once again through the thread, and there is this post:

hey guys who cant get it to run after following all the steps, try clicking Run immedietly for each song and make sure that Radio Hello doent have anything in the Link From box as that will stop it from working.

Thanks a lot Fallout10mm because that actually solved my problem. In fact, when setting up RADIOHELLO, the Link From box of the tracks you set has to be empty (not ANY, just nothing).

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8546/5emptylinkfrom.jpg

Remember that we are talking about RADIOHELLO, not your playlists.

After fixing this, I rejoiced when I heard them playing in-game. But was it over? Obviously not. It was then that I came across another problem, and that's exactly the same as LilRobot's one:

Ugh, I did everything according to the tutorial, but my songs simply cut out and go to the next one like, 5 seconds in.

Any help?

Here's how I managed to solve it in my case. In the GECK, when setting up the playlists as explained in the tutorial, I simply noticed that the problem disappeared if I flagged the GOODBYE box for every song, like this:

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/105/6goodbye.jpg

As you see, in my case ALL the songs are flagged: RG !. Try.

--------------------------------

Now I actually have my dear radio working from the pip boy, but I have 2 other problems left, and I still don't know how to work them around. First one:

I got my custom radio station to play through a jukebox

Unfortunately I couldn't manage to do this thing: I wanted to have a jukebox and a vintage radio playing my station but unfortunately it seems I'm stupid about it. If anyone know how to solve this problem, please tell me how you did.

That's how I setted up my custom radio and jb:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6949/jbradio.jpg

The radio station I selected is my own but they still play Galaxy News Radio...

Another glitch I curretly experiment: as I said, my radio works well from my Pip Boy, but if I hit ESC to open up the game menu/pause the game, when I hit it again or continue to the game, the radio gets silent, and I have to open up my pip boy, deselect the radio station and select it again. This is not a real problem but can be quite annoying, I don't know if others have the same problem, please tell me if you know something about it.

I hope I could have been of help.

Edited by SsamFlynn

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I am having the same problem that was mentioned above, where the songs do not properly randomize. Is there anything that I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Dude, I got it working a few days after I asked for help here. What really solved my problem was putting every single song in random. After that, my radio stations worked 100% fine.

Sorry for the delay on posting it here, and happy new year everyone.

Is there a way to change in-game which radio station a radio is playing, via a console command and/or GECK script function? NVSE would also be an acceptable solution if it contains that functionality (I can't find any documentation for it that doesn't claim to be obsolete).

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this tutorial, I was driving myself nuts trying to figure out how to get the music to play through a jukebox or radio, I saved them as the ogg files with the same settings as above, and the _mono at the end.... worked like a charm.

My only question is this, is there a way to change the volume output on in game radios and jukeboxes?

If not I imagine I can just pump up the volume on the .ogg files, but it would be nice not to have to go through all that trouble.

mk; a couple of things that other people have touched upon as well:

Songs do not have to be encoded as .wav, only if you want to be able to hear them inside of the GECK (.wav's are huge and really shouldn't be used and it doesn't matter if you are able to preview them or not).

The volume of any particular song is controlled by the settings in the new audio infobox under static attenuation.

In order for tunes to be heard through a custom vintage radio or jukebox, .ogg files of the track with the same name and flagged with "_mono" at the end have to be placed within the same folder as your music.

Flagging a talking activator as broadcasting "everywhere" is not a very good solution to getting it to communicate with activators in your worldspaces or cells. It interferes with other radio stations like Mojave Music Radio. Define a radius or use linked cells if broadcasting in an interior space.

An issue I'm running into is getting an activator to attenuate the range of my broadcast as if it were an ambient sound within the environment - has anyone else experimented with non-pipboy broadcasts?

• 3 months later...

Thanks man this helped me a lot got my own stations on air an all, but is there any way to join your custom radio station with radio activators, so for example when I am making a house mod and I want a radio that plays my station at my house, how can I do this tryied on my own and failed miserably :wallbash:

If any one know how to do this please help

nr1 tutorial, very easy to fallow :thumbsup:

Thanks man this helped me a lot got my own stations on air an all, but is there any way to join your custom radio station with radio activators, so for example when I am making a house mod and I want a radio that plays my station at my house, how can I do this tryied on my own and failed miserably :wallbash:

If any one know how to do this please help

nr1 tutorial, very easy to fallow :thumbsup:

If you look at a radio object that has already been placed in a cell, you will see that you can choose which radio station it's tuned to. You should be able to copy it into the desired cell and then set the copy to your custom station.